“Peregrine Studio Loft-Condo” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Yosemite Peregrine Lodging

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Yosemite National Park
Yosemite Peregrine Lodging
7509 Henness Circle, Yosemite National Park, CA 95389   |
Cambridgeshire
“Peregrine Studio Loft-Condo”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

We had a good stay a couple of years back at the B&B so had no qualms and high expectations when we booked the Studio loft for 4 adults.
Pros
Simple to book on-line and good communication with owners via emails and a welcome phone call the evening when we arrived.
Location is as before-suited us. Condo is adequate for 4 adults-though the sofa bed downstairs is not that comfortable for more than two nights IMHO. Loft and downstairs have individual bathrooms. Kitchen is basic but functional, with a stocked grocery cupboard of spice\coffee\soap powders and other small items.
Laundry is on site as is the biggest Ice machine I’ve ever seen! BBQ on the patio, though only ½ of burners seemed to work and it was dirty from previous occupants.
Plenty of local information and instructions about the condo available-though some were on separate bits of paper found by accident in drawers.
Cons
Condo is a bit dated and there were some minor maintenance issues, nothing to ruin our stay (nor TBHO to bother owners as we were only there for 2 days) but gave the impression the place was being let go-and for the price I expect no faults.
Mesh doors to patio were falling apart and held up with gaffer tape. There was a note (found in drawer) that they need some TLC but I would expect them to be in better shape. No biggie-just not a good impression.
Carpet runner separating kitchen tiles to lounge was proud liable to catch bare feet\toes. Simple to fix TBHO.
Sofa-bed mattress, thin and uncomfortable and we are not overweight adults.
Air conditioning was none existent and TBHO the fans in the condo struggled with the heat on the first night, though I think this is a problem throughout Yosemite.
Overall a slightly disappointing stay due to maintenance issues and high expectations from the previous visit (Only stayed as couple in the B&B).If I were to recommend to others I would advise of minor niggles.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
, Owner at Yosemite Peregrine Lodging, responded to this review, June 30, 2012
Thank you for your well thought out review. I have asked my employees to check on the items you have mentioned. The screen door to the deck is always a problem. Due to our remote location it takes a 5 hour drive to purchase a new screen plus the time to install. And, as often happens, the next guest walks into the screen. You are correct. There is no air conditioning in the area. At 6,000 elevation it didn't seem any would be needed. But, summers do seem to be getting hotter. Fortunately, guests are almost always gone during the day and our evenings are cool and pine scented.

99 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012 via mobile

I'm really glad we stumbled on this place.
Mikey made us feel very at home and nothing was too much trouble - we had breakfast (which is amazing, by the way) at 5 one morning and 9 the next. Also got some good tips on where to go hiking, how hard hikes really are compared to whst the books say, and what you need permits for, etc.

There were nice touches like food in the fridge for anyone to take, and we were offered a glass of wine when we arrived.

The B&B is in Yosemite West, NOT Yosemite village (which is about a 20 minute drive away). However it was actually a relief to be up in the hills as it was cooler (75 degrees as opposed to 100 down in the valley - we were here in June). It is also near sentinel dome & glacier point which have incredible views over the valley - both great places to sit with a glass of wine & try & work out where we had hiked that day.
Sadly I think Yosemite is a once in a lifetime experience for us but if we do ever find ourselves here again we'll definitely be staying here Willyour certainly recommend to others.

• Stayed June 2012
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

When I tried to make reservations online, there were no rooms available for two nights in a row. I had to call and ask if it is possible to book two different rooms for two nights (the minimum stay is two nights at Peregrine) and Mikey was nice enough to reserve the rooms for us. So we got Studio B 209 and Alpenglow. Studio B 209 is beautiful with a cabin look (pic attached), kitchen, and a nice balcony. The second night we moved to Alpenglow hoping it would be awesome as it is expensive than Studio B. However, Alpenglow is just a room in a house with no kitchen amenities. We could hear people talking in the next room, and the tv in our room is broken. When we asked Mikey about the price difference, she said it is because Alpenglow comes with free breakfast - eggs, biscuit/gravy and a bowl of fruit. It was a communal breakfast and we enjoyed talking to other hikers at the table. Overall, it was a good experience. I wish they could give Studio B with breakfast, it would've been perfect!

Room Tip: Studio B 209 has a nice cabin feel with two full bathrooms, one upstairs and one downstairs.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Rancho Cucamonga, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

We stayed at the Alpenglow room in the Falcon's Nest building for two nights. The room was very clean and cute, very spacious, with its own bathroom, much better than what I had expected from the pictures on their website (which is kinda old). Mikey was the the innkeeper and she's one of the nicest lodging staff we've ever dealt with, also a great cook. The breakfasts for both days were so yummy. She was very thoughtful and thorough. She made sure there's a high chair for our baby before we even arrived at the breakfasts. She also helped us plan for the day trip.

I saw the previous negative reviews and I don't think it is fair. I had researched lodging options around Yosemite before booking, and the price here is very reasonable comparing to others IN YOSEMITE. Of course you can spend $150 and stay at Venetian in Las Vegas but it is almost $600 a night at the luxurious hotel in Yosemite Village and over $200 for a motel like room. Peregrine's location is inside the park but both 16 miles drive to Yosemite Village and Glacier Point. If you're planning on going to both, it'd be a perfect location for you. But do know it is a cabin in the mountain in the middle of nowhere so there's no restaurants or grocery stores around. There's fridge and microwave access though. Also it is a Bed & Breakfast...which a cozy breakfast with other guests should be expected... I love the conversations we had at the breakfast table interacting with tourists from different parts of the country and exchanging Yosemite experiences. But if you prefer to eat alone a B&B is probably not for you (although I think you could request to eat at a separate table if you request).

On a side note, if getting there late, the innkeepers would be asleep and you'd have to self check-in (innkeeper does have to wake up early to prepare for breakfast so can't blame them!!). Luckily I had called the day before, and Miley gave me detailed directions and instruction. There are a few buildings around so it could be confusing in the dark. Calling ahead (especially if you're arriving late) is definitely recommended.

Room Tip: If you can't sleep with noises from upstair guests walking on the floor, probably better to pick...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Roseville, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

Be careful what you read. I just read a review by someone about this place, and I can't imagine how they could come up with the opinion they did! My son and I have stayed in the condos on a few different trips to Yosemite and found them to be very clean, clean sheets, clean towels, clean bathroom, even clean pots and pans. We like the location, inside the Park which makes it so much more convenient - no long lines to wait at the park entrance. We love having a kitchen to cook in so we don't have to go out to eat at every meal. The condos are very quite too. The perfect accomodations for a family on a budget!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
surrey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

We stayed here as part of our honeymoon in July last year. We stayed in the lofts. We had booked for 2 nights and left after one....the room was filthy. There were hairs and dust everywhere, we were disgusted. Yosemite is such a beautiful place and it seemed that the owners take it for granted that they will get business. When we arrived I was bitterly disappointed. I wanted to heat some milk for a hot drink and selected a pan only to find remenants of baked beans where it had just been hung up unwashed. It's a fact that when a place is uncared for the guests won't care either. Not good at all

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
peregrineYosemite, Owner at Yosemite Peregrine Lodging, responded to this review, March 28, 2012
I am the owner. If I don't know there is a problem, I can't fix it. Last summer, due to health issues my husband and I moved from Yosemite leaving our property to be managed by employees who say they were not contacted about the problem. Since I do not take anything about my business for granted based on this letter I have taken considerable time to retrain employees in all aspects of cleaning and maintenance of guest rooms. Hopefully there will not be any problems in the future. In fairness to the owners of any small lodging property, guests should make a contact about any problem so that it can be taken care of in a timely manner. The advantage of booking with owner operated lodging such as ours is you should get immediate results with a complaint plus very personalized service to help you have a wonderful stay.
Portsmouth, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

We booked the Dogwood room and at nearly $300 a night our expectations were pretty high.

So when we arrived at 6 o'clock in the evening to be greeted by nobody we immediately felt let down by the lack of attention.

The building has no obvious entrance and has the appearance of a private house and therefore we felt uneasy walking straight in. We knocked on two different doors and wandered around calling out to see if anyone was home but got no reply. After a while we entered the building and found a key hanging in the lock of the Dogwood room so 'checked ourselves in'. Very strange.

One thing to note about the location of this B&B is that there is NOTHING in the area. That in itself is not a problem as this is a national park after all, however as there was nobody around to offer advice we had no clue about where to go for dinner. We were completely left to our own devices and we found this most unwelcoming.

The room itself was OK. The decor is chintzy (the owners will say unique and I suppose they are right) but at least the room was clean enough. The bathroom is tiny and the washbasin is located in the room. There is also no air conditioning.

Breakfast was at 8am in the morning (which we found out from the welcome book because we weren't checked in the night before) and is OK. A little bit strange sitting around a smallish table with 6 other guests meaning that if you are not a fan of making small talk first thing in the morning this probably isn't the place for you. Also, if like me, you don't like to see the lady who is cooking your breakfast stroking the pet dog or indeed, don't like having a dog around the breakfast table then again, this place is not for you.

My biggest gripe about this place though is the NOISE! I have never experienced anything like it. People running up and down stairs at 7 in the morning, doors slamming, loud voices and very heavy footsteps from above meant that we did not have one peaceful morning for the three nights we spent here. The surrounding area is extremely tranquil and this was one of the attraction of coming to Yosemite however the Peregrine is an epicentre of noise in a peaceful area! It felt like no effort was being made to offer us a relaxing stay.

All in all, I would have been content with this stay had I have paid $150 a night however at just shy of $300 this place was very disappointing. I've noticed the owners have a habit of making some fairly dismissive and cutting replies to their negative tripadvisor reviews so watch this space....!

Room Tip: To ensure a good night's sleep, try picking a room in a different B&B.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
peregrineYosemite, Owner at Yosemite Peregrine Lodging, responded to this review, November 23, 2011
I am the owner and I understand why the guest would be unhappy over the lack of a welcoming greeting. The innkeeper was gone and our new employee who lives next door had left a note which the guest didn’t see. The note said to call her if help was needed or to look in the guest book. When no call was received she assumed that the guest didn’t need anything. Our employee now understands that we always greet guests personally which sometimes means she must go next door and check, several times if necessary, until she is sure the guest needs have been met.

The issues of the dog and unnecessary noise have been addressed. Other guests had asked to pet the dog which is normally confined to employee quarters and will be from here on out. Employees are not to make noise in the halls outside the rooms nor walk overhead but since I wasn’t there I have no way of knowing why there was so much noise so early in the morning. The staff has been made aware of other possible causes of unnecessary noise. As for calling the decor chintzy I suppose it is in the eye of the beholder. There is a stunning rock fireplace in the corner and a jacuzzi set in stone under a window looking out to the woods and sunset; a new flat screen TV, new linens, hand painted curtains, new carpet and we have complimentary wi fi. Our redwood dining table seats 8 and usually our guests enjoy meeting one another and comparing notes about their Yosemite experience. This type of setup is pretty common in small bed & breakfasts so it is a good idea to check before booking if a private table is desired.

As for stating the room was worth $150 the guest is evidently not aware of comparable pricing in Yosemite. At the Wawona Hotel $152 will get you an old room with a community bath down the hall. A basic room at the Ahwahnee Hotel is $466 and Yosemite Lodge (a motel) is $219. Breakfasts are extra. Our costs reflect the overhead of running a small business in a remote area. The nearest supermarket is two hours round trip. Linens and other furnishings are 4 hours. All repairs start with a minimum 2 hour travel charge. And something always seems to be breaking!

I’m sure I speak for every lodging operator when I say if you have a problem, speak up! Let us know so it can be fixed if possible. I couldn’t redecorate the room but certainly other problems could have been addressed. Bed and breakfast operators really do care about their guests and go out of their way to make them comfortable.

Been to Yosemite Peregrine Lodging? Share your experiences!