“Great Food Great Service Great View” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Groveland, California
“Great Food Great Service Great View”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I like to mix it up, go for a healthy hike then enjoy a good meal! The Ahwahnee Bar is perfect, it has a great menu, the food is nicely prepared, the servers are always friendly, and it costs much less than the Ahwahnee Dining Room which is great for breakfast but out of my price range for anything else.

With both inside and outdoor patio seating, you can choose between fresh air, and warmth or air conditioning, according to the season and weather. Either way you have a great view, and the squirrels that dart in and out "cleaning" the floor of crumbs are adorable.

Try a spicy bloody mary, or a selection of hot teas. The soup is always wonderful. My favorite is the local, organic Diestel Roasted Turkey, but as a wrap instead of a sandwich. It is big enough to share with a friend, and comes with a side of fruit salad. Yummy!

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

California
“Ahwahnee: you can do better!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I was NOT impressed with the selection of food they have at the Ahwahnee Bar. I really wished I would have packed a lunch and just eaten that because I was disappointed by the quality of food.

The Ahwahnee hotel is impressive and definitely an icon of the Yosemite Valley. That being said you'd think they would have a higher caliber of entrees, even in their casual dinning options.

I think they should really revamp their menu because what they offer now just doesn't do it for me. No, I don't want some super high-end meal for a casual lunch, but considering you pay a rather high price for the food, it at least needs to be above mediocre.

The staff was very nice when they were around, but they were VERY slow. We were planning on going on a small hike and had to cut our trip short because it took over an hour to get a simple veggie wrap and sandwich. They tried to remedy it by giving us free deserts, but the damage had already been done.

• Visited May 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Northeast Harbor, Maine
“Poor dinner option”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

My wife booked a room at the Ahwahnee for one night, and was really looking forward to a nice dinner in the famous dining room. Alas, when we checked in we were told no reservations were available. Room service or wait list. We went on the wait list, but by 8pm decided to bag it and eat in the informal Bar. Only three hot food choices: chili, a pastrami sandwich, and something else I can't remember. Very disappointing! And apparently they never change the menu. Well, at least our waiter was very good & helpful and the drinks are good. Lesson learned: make a DINNER reservation when you book your room!

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Napa, California
“I need the recipe for the Watermelon Martini.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

We visited for cocktails this summer before having dinner in the main dining room, and our very nice server brought me a neon-Martian-green Watermelon Martini: Midori, Watermelon Vodka, Sweet & Sour with a watermelon cube garnish. Good thing I ordered the small 1.5oz size and didn't finish it, because anything larger would've put me under the outdoor table & I'd've been attacked by the ground squirrels chasing each other across the Ahwahnee lawn. The bees were a bit aggressive that day, but the server made sure to tell people that if they were eating, he would reseat them elsewhere; we were not bothered. The cocktails are distinctly more expensive than say, a bar in NYC or L.A.; I believe mine cost $12-13. But you can't beat the ambiance, and after a full day hiking you're too tired to complain, so just sip slowly and enjoy.

• Visited September 2012
Grand Island, New York
“Nice casual lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

My husband and I ate lunch inside the Ahwahnee hotel in the bar area. We had our choice of eating inside or out, but with the temp outside of 104 we decided to enjoy the air conditioning and ate Inside. It was very nice inside our lunches were very good, a bit on the high price side and service was a little slow.

• Visited August 2012