Amazing building, design/decor, history, setting and the perfect location for exploring the park. I love the Kubrick connection as well and this alone made the visit worth it for me.
BUT, those things aside, there is plenty that is average about the hotel and if it didn't have its history and setting then no way in months of sundays would it get awayw ith the sorts of prices that it does. I can stay in Claridges in London for the same money I paid and the service, food etc. will be utterly fault free, the best you can find anywhere on the globe.
A couple of major points. When we arrived, the lady at the front desk did not warn us that evening dinner gets very busy/would be close to fully booked/closes its booking system at a certain time. Clearly the Ahwahnee has a problem with dining and could do with another restuarant (we noticed and interacted with other guests having the same problem and also not being warned about the diffuclty or competition to secure a reservation) but until that is resolved I feel that guests should be warned and prompted to book for dinner ASAP. We would have done had we known how busy it gets and we probably would have got a table. So if you're reading this, remember to book for dinner the moment you arrive. If you're stuck then book into the Mountain View at the lodge a few minutes away (which might actually be better food).
The Breakfast Buffet was also very disappointing and certainly not befitting of a $550/night stay. Poor choice, a tiny plate of fruit that was depleted, cold temperatures and generally dissapointing at any price, let alone $26+ per person. To give you an idea, the $11 buffet we had at the budget Yosemite View hotel was noticeably better with a lot more choice to boot. Service was also a little slow which never helps.
- Also Known As:
- The Ahwahnee Hotel Yosemite National Park
- The Ahwahnee Hotel
- Ahwahnee Yosemite National Park
- Ahwahnee Hotel
- Ahwahnee Hotel Yosemite National Park
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tuesday August 27, 2013 - With the exception of White Wolf Lodge, all lodging and services are available in Yosemite National Park. Yosemite Valley and Wawona are largely unaffected by the Rim Fire and air quality is good. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com and Tingo so you can book your The Ahwahnee reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.