“Beautiful pricey historic hotel with fabulous location...worth the splurge!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ahwahnee

Save Saved
You added The Ahwahnee to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9005 Ahwahnee Drive, Yosemite National Park, CA 95389   |
Sugar Land
“Beautiful pricey historic hotel with fabulous location...worth the splurge!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

We have never paid >$500 for a hotel room for the two of us, but an Ahwanhee cottage was the only room available in the park for 10/1 when we booked in mid-June, so I was thankful to be able to stay in the park and save myself the hour drive in. Based on the mixed reviews on TA, I was a bit apprehensive about shelling out so much $$, but my husband & I were taking a long kids-free weekend to celebrate my 40th birthday, so we justified the splurge. After all, if the Ahwahnee was good enough for Queen Elizabeth II and many presidents, it should be fine for me :) . So after a busy fun day hiking in the park, we pulled into the Ahwahnee just after sunset, not sure what to expect. There was no parking available in the lot, but valet parking is free for guests, so we unloaded our luggage, and had a quick, easy pleasant check-in. It was a short lamp-lit walk to our cottage (#706), and we were not disappointed with our unit. We have stayed in a "more updated/modern" (and significantly pricier) 2 bedroom 2 bath ski-in & out condominium in Colorado with our kids as well as historic rooms in the Old Faithful Inn in Yellowstone NP. Of course I would have preferred to pay less for my cottage, but given the fabulous location, history, and relatively low amount of hotel rooms in Yosemite Valley, I can understand the high price.
Our cottage was immaculate, roomy, and beautifully decorated with a Native American motif. There is a screen door and tasteful screens to cover all the windows, and we did not feel any lack of privacy. Our king bed was very comfortable, and we did not use our large flat screen TV with satellite nor our DVD player. The bathroom shower & tub were fine, and I liked that the sink was separated from it & the toilet. There was a small shelf across from the sink, extra towel hooks, and a separate vanity desk, large well-lit mirror, and chair for cosmetics. There was a large full length mirror, a safe, a refrigerator, coffeemaker, table for two with chairs both inside the room and outside of the cottage, and a large upholstered chair and ottoman. The only downside we experienced was a somewhat noisy generator that I slept through but somewhat bothered my husband. My overall impression was that this unit would sell for a similar price as a ski-in/out unit in Taos, Colorado, or Utah and that people would not complain about the price or quality.
What really made the Ahwahnee special was all the little details of this historic resort in a beautiful remote place. We loved being able to walk through walking and bicycle trails with great views, and were delighted to see a few deer on the grounds. We enjoyed free hot chocolate in our luxurious bathrobes and had no problems getting wireless service on our I-pad (ask the front desk for the password, which is good for 24hrs after 1st logging in). We really enjoyed our casual dinner at the historic bar (ate inside, about a 10 minute wait at 8pm on a Saturday night). The chili and fish soup special were thick and delicious, and the spinach-artichoke crab dip was wonderful, plus the ambiance of the piano playing was great! The concierge was very helpful Sunday morning planning our hikes and navigating the shuttle system before our brunch reservation (which was very good, see my separate review). I enjoyed reading guidebooks in the large chairs outside as well as in the amazing historic great lounge. We checked out without any problems before our brunch and left our car in the valet area until after our final hike. The valet let us go out to our car to get a change of clothes & our backpack for our hike after brunch. We took advantage of the sweet shop and bought an individual sized bottle of champagne & two chocolate truffles, which were delicious & reasonably priced. It was very easy & convenient to use the shuttle and get around the valley area.
I felt very pampered on this trip and would highly recommend the Ahwahnee to anyone willing to spend the $ to stay in this beautiful, historic location. We will be returning to Yosemite in 2-3 years with our four kids and my parents, and plan to stay in the Yosemite Lodge due to price concerns, but we will definitely stop by to visit the Ahwahnee as a day visitors. Yes, you can pay less for more modern rooms outside of the park, but I would prefer to avoid the long drives in & out of the park (it took us 1.5 hours to get to Oakhurst the night we checked out, and I can't imagine how long it would take on a busy summer weekend). As a side note, we did spend our 1st two nights at the Yosemite West High Sierra B & B (which we loved as well), and I am glad we split up our stay between the two locations. I would love to return here in a few years during wintertime without my kids. Overall it is pricey, but worth the splurge.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
GnrlMgr, General Manager at The Ahwahnee, responded to this review, October 8, 2011
Thank you very much for spending your birthday with us! I am so glad to hear that you had a great time and relished in all The Ahwahnee has to offer. I will share your experience with the entire staff. We look forward to seeing you back in Yosemite in several years with your family. Although we can certainly understand the restrictions, don't forget to come over and say "hi" to us here at The Ahwahnee!

1,194 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

We stayed here in the main lodge during our visit to Yosemite, and I was very impressed with our room, which was spacious, clean & appropriately decorated. We had glorious mountain views right outside our window. It is expensive, but I considered it worth it to be staying within the park, and in such a nice room. Plus it seems to be easier to get a reservation for the grand dining room if you have a room there as well.

You can just park your car & take a shuttle to many of the park's locations; and one of the falls is within easy walking distance of the hotel.

Room Tip: If you can get a room in the lodge, it's definitely worth it.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
London, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

We booked the Ahwanhee online from the UK and stayed three nights in a Cottage Room at the end of September. In contrast to the last reviewer, for whom one can only have sympathy, check in etc was fine. The Ahwahnee is an impressive, grand building worth visiting, in a spectacular location. The cottage was rather gloomy with a noisy generator outside one wall, but comfortable and spacious enough. It was also bit disconcerting that the cottage - actually a bungalow - was on a path, so anyone passing could see in unless the windows were cosed.

The restaurant was a shambles, with service that would have been appropriate to a motel; one evening, in this top of the range restaurant, my wife finished her first course before I did. Her plate was whipped away and both second courses were bought. Mine was dumped on the table for me to move across when I had finished my first course and cleared it myself. It transpired the waitress was in a hurry because she was coming to the end of her shift. On two evenings there were errors on the restaurant bill, one in their favour and one in ours, both of which we pointed out. When we checked out our final breakfast was not on the bill. We pointed that out too, but wish we hadn't, as we were made to feel a nuisance.

All in all the impression was of a grand old hotel living on its reputation, worth visiting for a drink to see the archtecture etc, but not much else. Yosemite is simply wonderful, and if we return we will look for somewhere else to stay.

Newtown, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

This is a rather long account of our horrendous first night at the Ahwahnee. I feel compelled to warn other travelers about their "cottage rooms" and remind everyone to be absolutely sure you have your written confirmation from central reservations in hand when you check in to ensure you don't have to experience what we went through. Here's what transpired:

Back in June, I booked a standard, in-hotel room with king size bed for four nights, (9/25 - 9/29). I had my confirmation number from the phone reservation conversation, but even after REPEATED calls back to the reservation line, I was never successful in receiving an email or snail mail copy of my reservation. I gave up trying, in frustration, but figured since I had my confirmation number in hand, we would be okay. I now know this was MY mistake, I should have called them every day until I received my written confirmation, but never, in my wildest dreams, did I expect how important it would be to have this little piece of paper.

We arrived on Sunday, 9/25/11, late in the day (approx 6:30 pm) and immediately approached the front desk to check in. We were warmly greeted by the Desk Manager on duty. As the manager was checking me in, she mentioned we had a "cottage", standard room, with king size bed. I immediately questioned what she meant by “cottage” and she stated that it wasn’t in the hotel, but in one of their cottage structures. I immediately explained that I had booked a room IN the hotel, not a cottage room, but she continued to say that she couldn’t move us that night because they were completely booked up. After much back and forth, I finally reluctantly agreed to take the cottage room FOR ONE NIGHT and insisted they move us back into the hotel the next day. All she would say was she’d “try”. So, we gathered up our bags and schlepped outside and down the walkway to the assigned “cottage”.

Upon arriving at our assigned ottage room, we opened the door and all I can say is I gasped. It was DISGUSTING!!!! The room smelled musty, damp and it was FILTHTY to the point that you wanted to run screaming from the room. I was so upset. I went straight back to the front desk and told the desk manager there was NO WAY we would stay in this disgusting room. I said I’d rather sleep in the car and it was pure robbery to be charging me $500/night for a room that didn’t meet even Motel 6 standards! (No offense to Motel 6 intended.) We again went back and forth - she said that reservations “pulled” my telephone conversation record and they confirmed they told me it was a cottage room. I told her that it was completely untrue and that I had NO IDEA the hotel even offered cottage rooms and my surprise reaction to her first mentioning a "cottage room" was indeed honest and genuine. I kept at her and she finally said she’d knock $75 off the room rate. I told her I didn’t care if she knocked $500 off, I was NOT staying in a pig sty. Again, we went back and forth with her saying she had nowhere to move us and me stating I was going to sleep in the lobby or my car and would be contacting AAA and giving them a complete account, with pictures, of the filthy room. Finally, she agreed to send out housekeeping to clean the room.

I stood over this poor housekeeping gal for over 1 hour while she cleaned the entire room. Now, let me also mention that when housekeeping first came out to “clean” she arrived with only a tray of spray cleaners and what looked to be a hand towel. I pointed out the filth and dust on the lamp shades over the bed and she started “cleaning” them by whacking them with the cloth as I watched all of the dust and dirt fall onto the bed. I immediately yelled at her to stop and asked her to get a vacuum! She said she didn’t know if she could find one with a hose attachment, so I told her to go back and try! She did return with a vacuum with a hose attachment and once she had the right tools, she did a very good job.
As she cleaned, we got to know her a bit and she kept apologizing for the state of the room. She agreed that it was not up to their “standards” and she really put her heart and soul into cleaning the room for us. Unfortunately, as she was cleaning the floor lamp, she put the hose on the shade and the suction tore it all up - then, she put it back on the lamp! I immediately took it off the lamp as I was truly afraid that the hanging pieces of cloth would catch on fire and in total frustration, I marched back up to the front desk with lamp shade in hand. I walked in and this time I saw the front desk manager sitting in the office. I walked in with the frayed lamp shade and told her this was an example of the condition of my room ! I told her again, that they should be paying ME for staying in this room. I kept telling her how unacceptable the room was and wanted immediate confirmation that my room would be discounted for the night. She told me she couldn’t make that decision that she’d have to ask the General Manager. I asked if he/she was on site so we could discuss the situation right then and there and she said no, he wasn’t around, so I simply picked up the frayed lamp shade and marched back to my cottage room.

Once I got back to the cottage room, the desk manager called to say she was sending out the Housekeeping Manager to check the room. She quickly arrived and she was so apologetic about the condition of the room, agreeing that it was not up to their standards and SHE even got on the phone and tried to get us a room in the hotel. It was now very evident that I had made my point so I basically begged her to get us out of there. She also indicated the in-hotel rooms were completely booked but she would do everything she could to get us out of the room. They would know by noon the next day. So after much drama and discussion, we were stuck and had to stay in the room for the evening.

We finally went to sleep and as you can imagine, it was not a restful sleep. I tossed and turned and we also discussed our options. The thought of staying in this cottage room for the next 4 nights was simply out of the question. We considered driving on to Lake Tahoe immediately and just eliminating Yosemite from our trip completely, but agreed we’d wait until the morning and check back with the front desk at noon for an update.

So Monday morning came and we decided to hop on the Yosemite shuttle just for something to do while we waited to learn the fate of our room. We went to the visitor center and general store and basically killed time until I couldn’t wait any longer. Finally, at ll:00 am, I decided I had had enough and went to the front desk to inquire. There was a new desk clerk on duty so I assumed I would have to explain the whole situation again. However, as I was about half way through my story, she cut me off me and told me there was no room for me to move into. I went on, asking her to check on rooms 206 and 216 as the Housekeeping Manager spilled her guts the night before and told me that the family staying in these two rooms were scheduled to check out on SUNDAY but didn’t vacate! I was livid, but she kept insisting there was nothing they could do. So I said I’m checking out.

While she was checking me out and processing a 50% reduction in the room rate, I asked to speak to the front desk manager, thinking it was going to be the same woman from the night before, but was pleasantly surprised to see a NEW face, a very nice young woman named Stephanie. I very nicely told Stephanie my saga and she said she didn’t have any rooms with king beds that we could move to. I said I don’t care if it’s a double or a king at this point, just a clean, in hotel room would be fine. She checked and said YES, she had a room for us!!! Unbelievable!! I asked why the clerk couldn’t see it and she said these are blocked and only are viewable by the manager. So I continued with my story, telling her how filthy the room was and how much we had been inconvenienced and she said as long as you don’t mind a double in the room vs. king, she could switch things around and give us a very nice room.

She was an angel! I couldn’t thank her enough and she said, just go and pack up all your belongings, put them in the middle of the floor and she’d have a bellman come by and pick up our bags and bring them to the new room for us when it was ready. All we had to do was just give her the keys to the cottage room once we had finished packing! That was it!! I couldn’t run back to the cottage fast enough. We packed up all our stuff and I happily went back into the lobby to return the keys. I made a special point of popping my head into her office to personally hand her the keys and thank her again, and while I was speaking to her, I just reached out and hugged her, again thanking her for saving our vacation. I guess I got a little too emotional here with the hug, but I was so relieved!! We left the hotel to take in a hike while they cleaned the room and returned later that afternoon.

I was very nervous about seeing the new room, but when we picked up the key and stuck it into the lock of our room on the 4th floor overlooking the Falls, we were just so happy and relieved. And, to my surprise, there was a fruit basket, chocolates, a bottle of champagne and a handwritten note from Stephanie apologizing for the terrible experience we had had the night before.

Thank you, Stephanie, from the bottom of my heart for truly understanding the meaning of the words Customer Service. Also, a special shout out to Sarah in Housekeeping and Maria the Housekeeping Manager for your help in trying to make a horrendous situation better.

In summary, anyone considering staying at the Ahwahnee, please, make sure you understand you are paying for the location, which is truly spectacular. Be sure to only book an in-hotel room, even if you have to change your plans. Stay completely away from the cottage units and make sure you have your written confirmation in hand. You may just need it, especially if you are a late day arrival.

Finally, one last note to share. I don't know for sure, but I swear the Ahwahnee is haunted. Even though our in-hotel room was on the 4th floor I woke one night to the distinct sound of "someone" tapping a coin against our window! There were no tree branches or anything next to this window to explain the sound. I also saw something that looked like a white mist "woosh" by us as we waited for the elevator one day. I can't explain what I saw, but I did see "something" - and no, I hadn't indulged in any cocktails prior to seeing this white mist.

Room Tip: Only stay in an in-hotel room. Do not book a cottage room under any circumstance or you will be dis...
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

Did the negative reviewers of the Ahwahnee really stay here? This grand lodge is absolutely stunning from it's incredible architecture to it's magnificent views. The staff was 100 percent on their game. Everyone was extremely kind and helpful. The room was clean and the beds comfortable. Pricey? Yes, but worth it? Yes! Remember, this is an OLD lodge with the feel OLD America. If you want a perfect, plastic hotel experience don't stay here. Keep the rooms open for those that truly appreciate these grand icons of American history.

san francisco, california, usa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

From the comments I gave in the on line survey they just sent:

A very mixed bag. I realize that you are on Federal property and likely not getting as much funding as required. I also understand that it's probably not completely fair to compare the hotel to other luxury (priced) hotels. That said, for $500 per night, I expect a bathtub that actually drains (our showers were taken in shin deep water), vacuumed floors, clean elevators with defacing marks on the signs removed, etc. The place is in desperate need of a facelift and work on the infrastructure. Further, the food in the bar was atrocious-cold meat, inedible vegetables, jalapeno peppers on food served to a small kid (did it occur to the server that a kid wouldn't want that on there?). Finally, $500 to overlook the dumpsters, where kitchen workers yelled at each other in the middle of the night?

On the other hand, it was a beautiful property and an interesting experience to be in the middle of the park.

Clearly the hotel is cruising on its name, and can count on a full house based on its storied history. But that cannot last forever-without a facelift and staff that is more attuned to its guests, the truth will eventually win out. Until then, I'm sure you'll continue to have guests like my family: we were happy for the one time experience, but wouldn't consider returning for another stay.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
GnrlMgr, General Manager at The Ahwahnee, responded to this review, October 5, 2011
I was disappointed to read that you felt that we were cruising along on our name. I assure you this is not how we want to be perceived. Operating in a 84 year old building does have its challenges. As I may have mentioned in an earlier post, we are working with National Park Service, who owns the building, on a comprehensive $90 million rehabilitation. Earlier this year, $14 millin was spent on installing a new state of the art fire detection and suppression system, additional fire egress from the upper floors, upgrading the public restrooms, new carpet in the guest rooms and hallways, and entry boardwdalk among other things.

Now, withthat said, unvacuumed floors and dirty and defaced elevators are not acceptable. I have shared this post with our Executive Housekeeper.

We have three types of main hotel rooms: standard rooms, which are the least expensive, are on the back of the hotel. We have installed frosted glass panes on the bottom portion of the windows to mitigate the view of the loading dock. However, if you look up, you will see the Royal Arches and during certain times of the year the waterfalls that fall over the arches. Our classic rooms afford views of Glacier Point, Half Dome, and Yosemite Falls, while our Featured rooms enjoy a shared balcony with some of the same iconic vistas.

Know that we all are working hard at taking care of this grande dame of a hotel and hope you will notice all the changes the next time you visit Yosemite.

Warm regards,

Brett Archer, General Manager
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011 via mobile

Firstly I must say the area and views are spectacular but I must agree with others , in that this should be the only reason you go to this hotel. We arrived to find limited parking, had to drive around the car park many times to wait for someone to leave, it transpires these are tourists who just come for a look..... We spent 1400 dollars to stay here. Reception was packed, with a bus tour, people milling around and a horrendous noise level. I hoped the room would lighten my mood ( this was our honeymoon ) it didn't ! We went to confirm our dinner reservation with Anthony who was abrupt to the point of being rude. I asked if we needed to make a reservation for breakfast and he replied ' what do you mean ?' !!!!! I thought we were both speaking English! He said they do have bus tours so we may have to wait, unfortunately this made our blood boil..... We pay to stay and may have to wait because a coach party arrives ?! My main issue is with our dinner reservation, as it was our honeymoon I had called and emailed to ask for a quiet window seat. Our special occasion was not mentioned, we were put in the middle of the room and whilst it is stunning had the ambience of a staff canteen. The table next to us had 3 children under 5 years another had 2 children, the father of whom was wearing shorts and tee shirt carrying a rucksack..... I thought there was a dress code ? The service was slapdash and disappointing, food put down without a word. My final point is that the way they sell the hotel should be updated the 'stunning views from the restaurant' I'm sure once were, however the overgrown trees and scrubland now obscure most of it. All in all Yosemite is a must see, it's amazing but I suggest if you want to see the hotel, join the daily tourists and just go for a look. Luckily we spent the last night of our honeymoon at half moon bay in the ritz Carlton who bent over backwards and couldn't do enough for us, maybe the ahwahee staff should join their training programme.

• Stayed September 2011
One would expect their honeymoon to be magical; I am sorry we let you down.

It is true that our parking situation is challenging. We are no longer able to utilize numerous parking spaces in our back parking area after a small rockfall two years ago which has reduced the number of overall spaces available. Because we are in a National Park, we cannont, unfortunately, claim additional land for additional parking spaces. We do offer complimentary valet parking to help minimize this situation.

One of the standards we expect our associates to display is "Gracious and Friendly Service". It is embarrassing that our dining room reservation agent failed you and I. I have shared this post with our Dining Room Management team who will be coaching the said associate on the finer points of taking care of people. In addition, you should not have had to sit across from someone who was wearing shorts as we do have a dress code for dinner. Over the years we have relaxed the code from jacket and tie required to simply long pants and collared shirt. This post will serve as a reminder of how important it is to adhere to the dress code.

I have never heard of the ambiance of our grand Dining Room being referred to as a staff canteen. While the trees have grown over the 84 years the hotel has been in Yosemite and some of the views have been slightly obstructed, I am happy to report that the National Park Service has approved a plan to restore historic views not only at The Ahwahnee but throughout the park.

Did you bring any of these situations to our attention while you were with us? We are very good at recovering in the here and now but stumble in the retrospect. If you did bring them to our attention while you were here, then shame on us for not making it right.

Nonetheless, I am very sorry that we did not make your honeymoon magical; you deserved better than this.

Regards,
Brett Archer, General Manager
The Ahwahnee

Been to The Ahwahnee? Share your experiences!