“All you need” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Yosemite Lodge At The Falls

Save Saved
You added Yosemite Lodge At The Falls to your Saves list
Yosemite Lodge At The Falls
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   P.O. Box 578, Yosemite National Park, Yosemite National Park, CA 95389   |
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“All you need”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

As previous reviewers have pointed out, you cannot beat the location of the lodges. Every time we opened the door to our lodge, we were greeted with a breathtaking view of Yosemite Falls. There is a great (steep) walk - about 7 miles - up to the falls which can be done straight from the lodges. The staff were nice, there is plenty of choice when it comes to food and the accommodation isn't the Ritz, but it has everything you need and the room was nice and warm on a cold January day. Can't say fairer than that really.

1,526 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
Sunnyvale, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Since you'll be spending most of your time outside the room, this seems to be sufficient. The shower was lame- water it spewed was either too hot or too cold, but other than that, it is located at a fantastic location - with a view of the Yosemite waterfall from the room and a 10 minute trek to the fall itself.

Topeka KS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

The location is undeniable: right in the heart of Yosemite Valley and a short walk to the lower falls. My room was spacious and comfortable --- not glamorous, certainly, but after all, it's appropriately more "cabinesque" than Ritz. Getting to it across an icy parking lot and sidewalks can be tricky, so bring your "yax trax" or similar footwear device if you visit in winter.

The bed was comfy (a bit on the firm side), with good pillows and extra bedding in the room. The room was also equipped with a ceiling fan, space heater, ipod dock, and refrigerator -- and the wifi was reliable. My window looked out over woods, not the parking lot, and that was certainly a bonus. There is no security safe in the room, and the room door key is the basic issue with dead bolt -- no electronic locks. On the whole, I was quite content with my accommodation, and had no complaints.

It's other aspects of the Lodge that are sub-par: the food court is almost tragic, although the staff was pleasant enough. I was able to use up my included breakfast credit with safe choices, including yogurt, bananas, and decent coffee. But the coffee, I discovered, was only good in the morning. By afternoon, it had boiled into an undrinkable sludge, such that even a free cup was unworthy of consumption.

I had dinner at The Mountain Room restaurant, and it was lovely. The service was gracious, and the food was just short of excellent. Keep in mind, you're going to pay more for a meal here simply due to the location. Get over it and enjoy yourself, and you'll do fine.

Check-in upon arrival was hectic, and I thought the wait was longer than it should have been. To be fair, I'd arrived on the YARTS bus, and there were quite a few of us who arrived at the same time. But when employees sit behind the desk and avoid eye contact with guests who are waiting to check in, you lose points in my book. Most rooms are some distance from the front desk (a good thing), but be sure to ask for luggage assistance if you don't want to drag your bag through the slush.

My biggest disappointment with the Lodge experience was the staff at the Tours desk. They could hardly have been less helpful or more sullen. The unspoken but clearly communicated message was "I hate being here and you're an annoying tourist." I certainly got the message, and the inability to get questions answered from a pleasant human being kept me from booking anything other than the 2-hour Valley tour; just buying the ticket for that event was excruciating enough. Fortunately, the Valley tour was excellent; the driver/tour guide was refreshingly quirky and extremely knowledgeable.

Let's face it -- if you visit Yosemite any time of year, there are limited accommodation options inside the park. In winter, they are even more limited. And of course, the concession operator has an exclusive here. I did not want to pay the price for the Ahwahnee (although I recommend you visit it, and maybe grab lunch there), and I wanted to stay in the park. That pretty much left the Lodge. I enjoyed my stay despite the drawbacks, and the room itself was more than fine. To experience Yosemite Valley in winter.......... well, yes, I would do it again.

Room Tip: My room was a king, and I was told it was one that had been recently remodeled -- so you might ask a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Apex, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

The furnishings were adequate and clean overall.

The rating is average because the room rate is expensive. Stayed during the MLK weekend and the average night was 200+$/night. Having stayed @ Yellowstone, Grand Canyon and similar parks, I felt that Yosemite Lodge is way over priced.

The food court was ok but again priced 30% more than what I feel its worth to be. A cup of chili was 8$ + taxes.

Furnishings were sparse.

The reservation folks over phone (it felt that way) seem to offer the higher priced options. The room we stayed had a full sized bed and 4 bunk beds. The room was spacious and the shower was hot and powerful. Ask for this room (Room with 4 bunk beds) if you are in a large group to keep the costs under control. Not sure if this option is available if you book over the Internet.

Surprisingly, the room key is a old fashioned brass key. It is single and if you are not careful, you may loose it.

Room Tip: If you want to be frugal, take Cup O Noodles, get the hot water from the food court (it is outside o...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Our family of 4 enjoyed our Yosemite winter stay. The lodge is a great location being right in the middle of the park. This is great in winter as you can leave your car and rely on the excellent shuttle bus service around the park and also up to the Badger Pass ski fields. Our room was pretty basic with two double beds. I agree with other reviewers re the very poor lighthing. The '70s style dark wood doesn't respond well to 'mood lightiing'. That said we loved our room's outlook into the forest and the snow. The beds were reasonably comfortable. Our rooms was well heated except that one bed is close to louvered window which you can't shut tightly. Given it was well below freezing each night this meant the occupant had to rug up to keep warm. It would have been nice to have some basic amenities in our room such as cups and a kettle. There is a small fridge but that's it. I also reckon they could do a bit more to make walking safely on the icey paths easier. They spread some dirt in a few places to improve grip but the car park was really dangerous - like an ice skating rink. Not funny when you're trying to load and unload your car! The food options are pretty limited and you can't self cater. We enjoyed our meal at the Mountain Room restaurant. Also next door's bar served pretty basic food but at reasonable prices and they had a lovely wood fire. The food court was also OK - we only used it for breakfast. We lunched at the Ahwahnee hotel. Amazing dining room with great views. The food's very average though and the service almost glacial in it's pace.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 4123 in the Tamarack Lodge. Whilst a bit of a walk from the main buildings and fo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

It's all about the location and nothing beats leaving your door and being in such dramatic surroundings, with deer walking past your window. The rooms themselves - the size is good, they were very clean, staff were friendly but the decor was just dated. It didn't spoil our enjoyment - as most, we weren't there to enjoy the room. The food facilities were adequate - good standard average fare. The breakfast area was like a canteen. We also had some issues with parking as we couldn't park outside our room as it was the area that buses had to use to turn around in; although this is something that you can't really plan to avoid if, like us, you arrived late in the day and this was the only block that had space left.

I would always recommend here as the location takes your breath away - so nice to be in the park after the day trippers have all gone home. Magical.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Bonita, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I travel to Yosemite twice a year and typically stay in tent cabins at Curry Camp, White Wolf Lodge or Tuolumne Lodge (I have reviews for two of those lodgings that you can read.) However, since it was the middle of winter and temperatures were going to be down around 7 degree F, we decided to stay at Yosemite Lodge. The price was reasonable for Yosemite (remember it's winter) at $134 for a room with two beds. It would normally be a hundred dollars more in the summer. Nonetheless, the room was a real disappointment. The rooms in my building (granted there are more costly rooms in other buildings at the lodge that I'm sure are updated) reminded me of the Bates Motel--dark, dingy and uninviting. The heater didn't put out enough heat so we had to use the noisy portable heater they provide in your room to achieve some warmth. The bathroom was very small but did have shampoo and soap dispensers in the shower. There was an old fashioned television and wifi accessibility for those who need a link with Wolf Blitzer. The mattresses were not that comfortable but after a hike or two, who notices?

The lodge has a cafeteria that we frequent when we're in the park because of its convenience and the prices aren't as bad as other places in the park. However, the place gets very busy and the ambiance is lacking. But if you need a quick and reasonable place to grab a meal or if you have a tired and cranky family nipping at your ankles and clammoring for food, this is a good place to eat in the park. There is a more upscale restaurant at the lodge, but I have not eaten there. We like to go for lunch at the Ahwahnee because it's cheaper than dinner there and you don't have to follow a dress code at lunch. There is also a sports bar with numerous flat screen televisions for the sports obsessed. Your rabid fan can find out if his/her team is bound for the Super Bowl. Drinks are not cheap, but sometimes, after a twelve mile hike and blackening toenails, you just need to plunk down the bucks and get some alcohol in your system. It's a nice place to relax at the end of the day with its round fireplace in the middle of the bar. A few doors down is a small grocery/souvenir store where you can indulge your chocolate or carb fix. The best thing about the lodge was the Hispanic man who welcomed us and checked us in. He was delightful.

The lodge is located very close to Yosemite falls, making it a nice walk in the early morning when the light first hits it. In summary, I would expect more from a place that's charging (in the summer) over $200 a night to stay. If it weren't for the fact that it was winter, I would choose a tent cabin in Curry Camp or my favorite, a tent cabin up in White Wolf or Tuolumne Lodge. The tent cabins at least give you the feeling of being out in the wilderness and not waiting for Norman Bates to show up with a knife.

If this has been helpful, please hit the appropriate button.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Yosemite Lodge At The Falls? Share your experiences!