“Love the Lodge” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Yosemite Lodge At The Falls

You added Yosemite Lodge At The Falls to your Saves list
Yosemite Lodge At The Falls
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9006 Yosemite Lodge Dr, P.O. Box 578, Yosemite National Park, Yosemite National Park, CA 95389   |
San Diego
“Love the Lodge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2008

Ok, Yosemite is known for appreciating the outdoors, not staying at the Hilton. With that in mind, the lodge is a great family vacation site. I have been staying here for 43 years with my family with no complaints. It is a basic room, with improvements made and more comfortable than a tent at Camp Curry, which I stay in during the summer. We again stayed in Dogwood building next to the falls, our room faced the forest and we enjoyed lunch each day on our balcony.

Inside the room, there is almost everything you need. There is a TV with about 20 different channels. The best new thing at the lodge is that all the rooms have wi-fi in the room for free. The fact that the lodge has wi-fi is great but once on the internet it is a little slow to download pages.

Eating in the lodge dining room is fun and food assortments for all the family. Breakfast is basic, cereal, fruit, pancakes, lodge breakfast, potatoes, eggs, bacon. I would highly reccommend eating lunch outside at Deagans in the Village, great sandwiches eating under the trees after a morning hike.

Speaking of hiking, it's the best hiking around, Vernal Falls is so beautiful, especially with the snow peaks. Our family enjoys just hiking around the valley. We saw a bobcat, and a weasel in the meadow. It is best to look and listen to the sounds of Yosemite without any added noise. You can hear frogs croking in the meadow at night, sounds like a fine orchestra. Deer can be seen in early am in meadow by Village or meadow behide Lodge, stay back and admire from afar.

Visit the Awawahnee hotel for lunch such a beautiful dinning room. The great room is so relaxing with a fire going and the heat on, as it was 21 degrees in the morning and evening time. If you enjoy history of the hotel there is a great tour.

Take advantage of the Ranger night talks and Ranger walks in the Valley, great learning expereince even for someone who has been going to Yosemite since birth.

Check out the Badger Pass ski area, it's great, closes March 30th for season.

Warning do not leave anything that has a scent in your car, or you may have a bear break into your car. Please use bear containers provided. As we are in their home.

Stay at the lodge and enjoy the scenery as it is.

• Liked — Location,location,location
  • Disliked — The price of room
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (619)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2008

Everyone with the poor reviews left out one thing....out the back window is a beautiful view of Halfdome and out the front the highest waterfall in North America. If you are looking for luxury accomodations....stay in a city somewhere. If you are looking for somewhere to stay while enjoying one of the most beautiful places in the country then stay here. The location itself is worth every penny that you pay. Staying anywhere outside the park would mean an hour drive to get into the valley and you would no doubt miss out on thebest part of the park....the different times of day. It is like being in a different place at sunrise, sunset, and at noontime-each has its own beauty. Food is not gourmet but certainly adequate at the food court. What we did was go to the general store in the village and bought our own groceries for a picnic in the amphitheater...kids said that was the best part of the trip and it saved some money. Don't miss the smores at the lounge fireplace......great way to end the day. To sum up the experience-if you are looking for luxury stay out of the park and look at pictures on the internet. If you want to really experience the beauty of Yosemite. Stay in the lodge....it is well worth the experience!

Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2008

Although there were only three of us, we booked one of the family rooms at the lodge as that was all that was left but we were so pleased that we did! The room was huge with a very comfortable king bed plus two singles and a sofa bed. There was a dining area, seating area, fridge and tv. Wi-fi access worked fine - the room was in a block right next to the restaurant area and front desk which was really handy. The bathroom was pretty utilitarian and there was only a shower but these are minor negatives when balanced against everything else and the stunning (and very convenient) location.
Next time we would consider taking more food supplies with us as although the food available is very good, the self service restaurant can be a bit of a stressful experience due to the number of people using it.

• Liked — comfortable room and great location
  • Disliked — trying to negotiate the Food Court with a 3 year old!
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chula Vista, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2008

This review will be on my first ever visit to Yosemite Lodge at the Falls as well as my first visit to Yosemite National Park. After reading the various reviews, I had no idea what to expect during my visit. Arriving around 12pm (noon) on Sunday, I wasn’t expecting to be checked in, but at least store my luggage, until check in time of 5 pm. Inquiring at the front desk, I was presently greeted and advised that, indeed I could be assigned a room and key. Leaving the registration area with my map in hand, headed across the street to the Maple lodge building. Assigned a room on the ground floor with a king size bed and patio area. The room is right next to the ice machine area. I did not hear any one using the ice machine, during my whole stay and I‘m sure it was used. Of course, I’m only in my room during the sleeping hours. Upon inspecting the ice machine room, I noticed that the room seemed to insulated for sound. After entering my room, I noticed that the door was difficult to close, checking the problem out, the lock needed some lubrication, where it hit the lock striker, just a little petroleum jelly (lip balm) and problem is fixed. I didn’t bring a tape measure, so I used a 24” mailing tube to measure the room. The room itself is approximately 21’ X 13’ 6”, with the bath measuring around 10” X 7’ 6”. The room is decorated with four (4) lamps, which I think provided enough light. There is a TV in my room, which measured about 19” and a rather small safe in the entertainment center, with the actual opening size of about 12” x 9” and about 4” deep. The Lodge provides about twelve (12) channels for your viewing pleasure. My logic, here is, I’m here to enjoy the great outdoors and the TV is only an extra. The room décor is rather dated, not sure of what era, but dated. The room was clean, cleaned and rearranged nicely by the house keeping personnel daily. When one considers the outside conditions, which in my circumstance was snow on the ground and dusty and muddy conditions, its amazing the cleanliness of the carpet. I did not notice dirty bare feet after walking on the carpets. I did notice some areas of mold in the tub area, but nothing to really write home about. I was amazed at the heating of the room, the room stayed rather comfortable at night, I did raise the temperature up during the morning, while getting ready for my daily outings. For your reference, the overnight lows, were probably in mid 30’s. In preparation for some outside noise from my neighbors, I did bring some earplugs, and by the way this is common for me to bring the plugs, while traveling. I must have been very fortunate in my situation, or my neighbors were very quite. I did notice some conversations during the early evening hours, but never later than, lets say 10pm. I was booked in this room for four nights, March 9th thru March 13th.. So, I guess in summing up my visit, I would have to say that I was very pleased with my stay at Yosemite Lodge at the Falls. It (Lodge) is convenient, a shuttle stop really close and the cafeteria nearby. Also, if you use YARTS (Yosemite Area Transpirations System), one of the many stops is at the Lodge. I did use YARTS from Merced, CA. And, I believe most of the tours start here, as is the free bus to the Badger ski area. Of course, I can’t vouch for the conditions of the other rooms or how the maids care for their rooms. I’m hoping this will help in deciding on your lodging arrangements. I will try and post some pictures of the room, but after viewing the photos of previous posters, the arrangements and layouts seem to be different.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London, England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2008

Yosemite National Park is beautiful and this 'hotel' is right in the middle of it. For that reason it might just be worth returning to Yosemite Lodge at the Falls.

This place is, however, extremely dirty and noisy. The bathrooms floors were filthy - dropping a towel on the floor meant that when you picked it up it was covered in dirt and almost black. In the day there were ants in the bathroom and bedroom, but I presume they went somewhere else at night to sleep, because the noise prevented anyone sleeping.

Perhaps we were unlucky, but we could hear everything our neighbours said. Typically they went to bed at 2am and got up at 6am, so there were precious few hours when we were not lying there listing to their television or their conversations. During the night we could then here every cough and sneeze from their bed. Thank heavens they were elderly and not causing even more nocturnal noise.

The food court at Yosemite Lodge is all right and will give you cheap helpings of pasta after a long day of hiking, but just don't expect to be able to return to your room and sleep.

• Liked — The location and free internet access
  • Disliked — The noise and squalor
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Diego
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2008

We just returned from Yosemite and stayed at Yosemite Lodge. Upon checking in, we were told that their system showed an arrival date one day earlier, and we owed "Did Not Arrive" charge for that night. If I had not brought with me a copy of their confirmation email of our reservation, we would not have been able to get our room for 4 nights. That's right, the woman at reception told us that after driving 9 hours, their mistake would have cost us our stay. No apology. Then, they gave us keys that did not work for the room. Upon walking all the way back to reception to get new keys, no apology was offered. Also, housekeeping did not even give us one spare roll of toilet paper. We had to call the front desk to get someone to provide us with toilet paper -- this is after 3 days of staying there and housekeeping making up the room each day. When told about this, the housekeeping manager informed us that the maid staff was from Brazil and going home in a week, so that may have been the reason they didn't bother providing adequate service.

I am looking for a website on which people can provide feedback on DNC to the National Park Service, but have yet to find that. This was a real disappointment after the good service DNC provided at the Wuksachi Lodge in Sequoia NP for our 3 previous winter stays.

Note that Yosemite Lodge, despite all of DNC's PR, has poor soundproofing between the rooms. Terribly noisy.

• Liked — Well, it is in Yosemite Valley
  • Disliked — Poor staff service and attitude
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
The Sea Ranch, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2008

We wanted to stay in Yosemite and didn't want to pay the price of the Awahnee, so this was our choice. We would have probably went for tent in Curry Village if it wasn't winter. We stayed in Hemlock building, lower level (3416)

Good points of the property:
friendly staff, located right on shuttle line, walking trails from property, ranger talks and other activities held on the Garden Terrace and Cliff room (on the lodge property), little patio with table and two chairs provided, Mountain Room restaurant is good, hotel attempts to be sustainable by not providing individual toiletries, but instead, providing bulk toiletries in dispensers

Not so good points:
- most uncomfortable bed ever. We ended up with a backache after two nights!
- thin walls, could hear our neighbors
- our location at the end of the building meant loud noises associated with hallway door and ice machine.
- property is not well-lit. bring a flashlight for night time.
- uninspired food at the dining hall

• Liked — Located in Yosemite Nat'l Park
  • Disliked — Horrible beds!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Yosemite Lodge At The Falls? Share your experiences!