“A decent stay, but not sure I'd return...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Yosemite Lodge At The Falls

You added Yosemite Lodge At The Falls to your Saves list
Yosemite Lodge At The Falls
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9006 Yosemite Lodge Dr, P.O. Box 578, Yosemite National Park, Yosemite National Park, CA 95389   |
New York City, New York
“A decent stay, but not sure I'd return...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2007

After reading the reviews on TA, I was iffy about booking a room at the Yosemite Lodge, but since it was inside Yosemite, I took a chance and overall, the experience was fine.

The rooms are very 'rustic', but relatively clean. I thought the staff at the front desk were pretty knowledgeable and friendly when asked about Yosemite. Location-wise, the Lodge is great, it is located close to both Brideveil Falls and Yosemite Falls.

My only issue was that there was excessive noise from the room next door to me and when I called the front desk to complain, they ignored my first call, so I had to call again! I was very annoyed by this, and as a result, I don't know that I would return to this property, should I ever revisit Yosemite. Customer service needs to be taken a much more seriously.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Customer Service
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (510)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2007

Yosemite park is amazing, the only thing about the park was really disappointed me was this lodge. The price is not expensive but the room was not very nice at all. The following morning, we arrived at the room to find the maid cleaning and putting our stuff in the rubbish...nice!
I will definitely pay a little bit more next time to stay at the more expensive hotel in the park.
The staff is not very helpful either

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Burlingame, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2007

I registered for a Yosemite Association class in September and did the reservations for Yosemite Lodge at the same time. I had no expectations of the Lodge because my main focus of the stay was my photography class.
I arrived at the front door of the Lodge using YARTS bus from Merced. The check-in process was relatively uneventful. I had asked for a room on the second floor and the request was honored. I got in at 2 p.m. and was told my room was still being worked on. The official check-in time is 5 p.m. but I was given my keys at 2:30p.m. after the room was cleaned.
I stayed on the 2nd floor of the Hemlock building. My room had a porch. It had a trail behind the building and had a view of the cliff in the back. I was actually pleased with the view since I did not ask for it in the first place. My room was located away from the parking lot so the noise level was reduced to a minimum.
There were 2 twin beds in the room (i.e. it could hold 4 people). The room was spacious. There was ample space in the bathroom to place my luggage. It came with iron and ironing board should anyone need it. It did not have air-conditioning. Instead, it had a ceiling fan and an electric fan. The amenities were sufficient for my husband and me.
The only downside was the thin walls. I could hear what my neighbors were saying in the middle of the night. Also, the fixtures may need some updating. It felt more like a motel.
I was very pleased with the Food Court. The food was suprisingly affordable. I especially liked the Philly Steak sandwich and the cripsy chicken sandwich. Both were prepared fresh when you ordered. Coffee and tea were complimentary for all hotel guests.
Guests could sign up for Valley Floor tours or Glacier Point tours at the DNC tour desk located in the lobby. Wi-Fi was also available in the lobby provided that you had your own computer.
The Lodge store had a little refrigerator section for some microwable food and snacks. It also stocked gloves, wool stocks, hats, mufflers and the like should anyone need the warmth.
All in all, I was very happy with my stay at the Lodge. I was always addressed by my name at the Food Court, Gift Shop or Front Desk. Staff were all very courtesous and helpful. I was very satisfied and would stay here again.

• Liked — Price performance
  • Disliked — In room fixtures
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
california
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2007

We had made reservations to stay at yosemite lodge at the falls in October. I had to cancel my reservations and was told that since it is within a week we CANNOT cancel and had to keep t he reservation. My family ended up traveling 5 hours to Yosemite and was told by Yosemite falls that we had NO reservations and was turned away with no place to go. We ended up staying outside the park and wasted the whole weekend and our plans to stay the weekend. They didn't even try to accomodate us for our time, gas etc.

We will NEVER stay at the Yosemite Falls again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is what happens when you have 2 reservation desks who cannot keep track of the reservations..........by the way what happened to the email contact????

Stayed October 2007
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2007

Growing up in the '60s and early '70s, our parents would take us to Yosemite for 2 weeks every August. While some things in the Park have changed, others have remained surprisingly the same. As a kid we always camped at White Wolf in a tent, so this was my first time staying at Yosemite Lodge. My observations:

1. CHECK IN: Fairly organized and quick. The staff provided a map to the actual location of the room which was helpful since the hotel is somewhat spread out.

2. ROOMS: I thought the rooms were fairly large with a comfortable bed and good size bathroom. Most of the rooms appeared to have a balcony or patio with a table and two chairs. The housekeeping was completed before noon each day.

The building itself is somewhat dated, and one of the stairs needed repair. We informed the staff of the problem at 9 am and the stair was repaired by noon.

If you prefer to watch television rather than enjoy the peacefulness of the park, TVs are in all the rooms with about 12 channels.

The rooms are obviously not sound proof, but any noise from the adjacent rooms was fairly tolerable.

3. LOCATION: Central to many of the Park's natural attractions. There are some excellent trails and walking paths that begin at the Yosemite Lodge. There are organized tours that you can schedule at the Park information desk. A free bus will shuttle you around the area. It is also easy to get up to Glacier Point or out to Wawona.

4. BEARS/WILDLIFE: We only saw one bear this trip. Years ago the Park service would let you go to the dumpsite and watch the bears go through the garbage---those days are gone with the firefall. But you can still see deer, hawks, eagles, and chipmunks as well as some amazing insects on a visit to Yosemite.

5. FOOD COURT: They have a great variety of food choices: salads, pasta, chicken and the standard fare of burgers and hotdogs. Breakfast seemed somewhat disorganized, but you could still get hot cereal as well as the standard griddle fare. The coffee bar provides free coffee as long as you show them your guest card.

Yosemite is a great vacation idea, especially in the fall or spring. This hotel has a convenient location and provides great access to the park's wonders. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2007

The best location for Yosemite. If you want to spend a lot of money take the Awahnee, thats the best you can do. I' ll do this at my next stay. The hotel is absolutely overpriced. I Pay 188 $ for a small room with only 1 Queen and 1 single bed. I booked 2 Queen beds. The food is ok, not good.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2007

After reading all the negative reviews on TA, I was a little hesitant to stay here but I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised.

It had been 15 years since we visited Yosemite. We stayed at the lodge and back then, the rooms were very dated with no TV's so I wasn't expecting much. We booked a deluxe room and found it adequate for my husband and I. Decent bed, desk, armchair, and big armoire with a TV. I would suggest asking for a lower level room if you have a lot of stuff. We had luggage, bags of snacks, and an ice chest which was a chore to lug it up the stairs to our room (you can't leave anything in your car because of the bears). It didn't bother me too much but be prepared; the rooms are a little dark.

Back in 1990, the food court was actually a cafeteria. You slid your tray along and picked up pre-made plates of food that were covered in saran wrap. Boy have things changed. They had a pasta station (different pasta & sauces), a grill station (hamburgers, fries, etc), and an entree station (full meal-meat/potatoes/veggies) as well as a soup station and pre-made salads. Food was decent and the prices weren't too bad.

Even though the rate was a little high (we paid $179/nt), we would stay here again in a heart beat.

Stayed October 2007

Been to Yosemite Lodge At The Falls? Share your experiences!