“El Capitan View” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Yosemite Vacation Homes

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Yosemite National Park
Yosemite Vacation Homes
You added Yosemite Vacation Homes to your Saves list
Yosemite National Park, Yosemite National Park, CA   |
Chester, United Kingdom
“El Capitan View”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We were fortunate to spend 4 nights at El Capitan View as the base for our recent trip, It is ideally located in Foresta which is just outside the valley and will take between 20 to 30 minutes drive to the main visitor area.

It is a really peaceful area which to base yourself and I found the cost of the property quite reasonable compared to the cost of staying in the valley.

The owners Doe & Chris were very helpful in advance of our booking and also were on hand to help out while we were there, they were never anything but the most polite and helpful people.

Yes the house has a few rules, but I don't see any issues with that, it is all about an owner wanting to keep a nice property in a nice location in good condition. Clearly these have come about because previous guests haven't treated the house with the same respect.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Moore, OK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We recently stayed at Sage Cabin for 5 nights. It was a great, cute cabin about 25 min from the valley. The drive is very hilly and curvy and you have to go very slow in the dark. Also lots of deer about. We loved the hot tub, especially after climbing Half Dome! Our neighbors were very quiet and we never saw them, so we felt like we had the whole property to ourselves. The kitchen was fully stocked, even with coffee, spices, oils etc. I wish we'd known because we bought a lot that we didn't use. Also we have AT&T and there was NO cell reception. Wi-fi was adequate, though kindof slow. The TV is for DVDs only and there are quite a few fun movies provided from family/kid movies to a great info DVD on Yosemite. Also there were board games. We never used the loft although we did crawl up there to see it. Would be fun/dangerous for kids. There are sparse curtains throughout so if you're wanting to sleep in, no such luck-the light comes streaming in very early! Very comfortable master bed. We enjoyed our stay in the cabin but next time will probably book earlier and try to stay in the valley, just to be closer to all the activities. Definitely great for a family wanting to cook and enjoy the peace and quiet!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Corning, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I have stayed at Rockyoint home several times. Owner is accomodating and lovely to work with. The views of Half Dome, Clouds Rest and El Capitan are outstanding from the living room,and deck. There is a very peaceful sense of place here, and you do not have to go anywhere just to enjoy the spot , from all seasons. Bedrooms and baths are great , kitchen and grill give you everything you would need to make great meals. Sit in the lovely chairs outside and take a break from the world. Owner gives you maps , information about special places in area, and clear directions.

Room Tip: Plan early ! this place books up with repeat customers.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

We stayed at Suite Sunshine for three nights with our two children. Yosemite West is a private development accessible from within the park and a short drive to Glacier Point and the Valley Floor and many fantastic hikes. The place is cosy, clean, nicely decorated and completely outfitted with everything you would need, including barbecue, pots, pans, seasonings, towels, dishwasher, fridge that dispenses ice, etc. There is a tv, dvd, vcr, and air conditioning. It is peaceful place to relax after a day's hiking and is away from the hustle and bustle of the Valley Floor. Unless you have mobility issues, the stairs were not a problem. The owner, who lives downstairs, is very friendly and has a wealth of information on the park and surrounding areas. She gave us excellent advice on our drive from Lake Tahloe. I really enjoyed sitting on the deck in the evening, looking at the stars. You are high up so it feels like being in the trees. Just perfect.

Room Tip: Book early.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

Our stay here was like a little piece of heaven on earth! The cosy cottage situated amongst friendly trees served as the perfect, peaceful place for our busy family to relax and unwind. It is well equipped, providing everything from cutlery to a snowman-making kit (which conveniently comes with a nose - no carrots needed). The small little touches, including the old-fashioned telephone, the portraits of dancing bears, and the tiny quote books tucked away here and there, gave the feeling of a home that has been loved and lived in. Our host, Doe, was friendly, helpful and extremely creative (the wooden bears on the porch were carved by her). Playing with snow (till we got frostbite) by day, gazing at the brilliant stars by night, driving home surrounded by a Yosemite sunset, our stay was definitely a beautiful and memorable one.

Room Tip: A great place if you prefer to be away from the hustle of crowds.
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

I am not someone who has felt compelled to write a review until we stayed at Suite Sunshine. There are many things that were left out of the property description that we felt should be included... First and foremost is that this home is a duplex and the owner lives in the downstairs. Second is you have to take your garbage to a dumpster in the Yosemite Valley not in the Yosemite West area. Third if you care to stay in a place that is clean, do not stay here. Major cobwebs and dust! Fourth simply for the amount of money one would think that the simple things like finishes would be in place like not having painted cardboard on the front of the dishwasher with white duct tape as the trim to finish the edges!? Fixing the screen door to the deck so the bugs stay out. The pictures are also deciving, along with the description....be prepared there are about 40 stairs below what the pictures show. This wouldn't normally be a big deal but when you have to pack luggage, coolers etc. it proves to be a challenge and an inconvienence. The parking is also to be desired unless you are in a small vehicle and don't mind having to move cars around to allow the owner to come and go.? Also note that if you are staying in the summer this place does not have air conditioning, when we arrived it was 89 degrees inside and out!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
yosemiteClimber, Owner at Yosemite Vacation Homes, responded to this review, January 7, 2012
In response to Ms. T's (or the September) review of my home, I would like to say that yes, I live downstairs and most visitors appreciate that as I am able to give them advice and directions and in the 15 years I have been in this business no one has ever counted that as a minus. The guest book in my rental is full of compliments on the cleanliness of my home; her description of major dust and cobwebs simply isn’t true. I have taken her advice and put notes on my website about the number of steps leading up to the house. I agree this is important for potential guests to know. The screen door, which was damaged by a renter shortly before her arrival, has been replaced and the dishwasher as well. The manufacturer of the dishwasher did have a poor design and the front panel, which was plastic, did pop off after many years of use. It is hard during the busy season in this remote location to get an appliance changed out in a day. As soon as I had an opportunity this was addressed. It still performed its function however, and I did my best to make it look ok. The driveway is wide enough for most cars to negotiate while I park my car in a space to the side. Ms Tindall is correct, a very large extended length dually pick-up was too large for my driveway. For the record they never had to move their car for me to leave for work. Regarding air conditioning, to be fair, there are few accommodations here at this elevation, 6000 feet, with air conditioning. There are 2 or 3 months where it can get very warm here but it cools down rapidly at night. If you follow the simple instructions on opening windows at night and using the fans that are in every room, this is not a problem. I offered to dispose of her trash and recycling, like I do for all my guests, but they declined. I’m sorry that Ms T had so many complaints about her stay. I never heard a word about them during her stay and like she said, I was just downstairs.

Barbara, Owner & Operator of Suite Sunshine
Lehigh Valley, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

My husband and I stayed in the Sage cabin on a recent trip to Yosemite. The cabin is located in Foresta - a very quick drive to the valley attractions. The cabin was beautifully furnished and very comfortable. Everything that we needed was there, including pots, pans, salt/seasonings, towels and basic toiletries including shampoo, conditioner and lotion. The outdoor Jacuzzi was wonderful - it was situated in the backyard amongst a field of Lupine flowers. It's the perfect way to relax after climbing Half Dome!

I was a little hesitant about paying for the cabin in full before we arrived, but everything worked out just as it stated it would. No need to worry.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Curry Village
#6 of 26 in Yosemite National Park
4.0 of 5 stars 2,744 reviews
Yosemite's Scenic Wonders Vacation Rentals
Yosemite's Scenic Wonders Vacati...
#4 of 26 in Yosemite National Park
4.5 of 5 stars 317 reviews

Been to Yosemite Vacation Homes? Share your experiences!