“Suite Sunshine” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Yosemite Vacation Homes

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Yosemite National Park
Yosemite Vacation Homes
Yosemite National Park, Yosemite National Park, CA   |
Portland, Oregon
“Suite Sunshine”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

I am not someone who has felt compelled to write a review until we stayed at Suite Sunshine. There are many things that were left out of the property description that we felt should be included... First and foremost is that this home is a duplex and the owner lives in the downstairs. Second is you have to take your garbage to a dumpster in the Yosemite Valley not in the Yosemite West area. Third if you care to stay in a place that is clean, do not stay here. Major cobwebs and dust! Fourth simply for the amount of money one would think that the simple things like finishes would be in place like not having painted cardboard on the front of the dishwasher with white duct tape as the trim to finish the edges!? Fixing the screen door to the deck so the bugs stay out. The pictures are also deciving, along with the description....be prepared there are about 40 stairs below what the pictures show. This wouldn't normally be a big deal but when you have to pack luggage, coolers etc. it proves to be a challenge and an inconvienence. The parking is also to be desired unless you are in a small vehicle and don't mind having to move cars around to allow the owner to come and go.? Also note that if you are staying in the summer this place does not have air conditioning, when we arrived it was 89 degrees inside and out!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
yosemiteClimber, Owner at Yosemite Vacation Homes, responded to this review, January 7, 2012
In response to Ms. T's (or the September) review of my home, I would like to say that yes, I live downstairs and most visitors appreciate that as I am able to give them advice and directions and in the 15 years I have been in this business no one has ever counted that as a minus. The guest book in my rental is full of compliments on the cleanliness of my home; her description of major dust and cobwebs simply isn’t true. I have taken her advice and put notes on my website about the number of steps leading up to the house. I agree this is important for potential guests to know. The screen door, which was damaged by a renter shortly before her arrival, has been replaced and the dishwasher as well. The manufacturer of the dishwasher did have a poor design and the front panel, which was plastic, did pop off after many years of use. It is hard during the busy season in this remote location to get an appliance changed out in a day. As soon as I had an opportunity this was addressed. It still performed its function however, and I did my best to make it look ok. The driveway is wide enough for most cars to negotiate while I park my car in a space to the side. Ms Tindall is correct, a very large extended length dually pick-up was too large for my driveway. For the record they never had to move their car for me to leave for work. Regarding air conditioning, to be fair, there are few accommodations here at this elevation, 6000 feet, with air conditioning. There are 2 or 3 months where it can get very warm here but it cools down rapidly at night. If you follow the simple instructions on opening windows at night and using the fans that are in every room, this is not a problem. I offered to dispose of her trash and recycling, like I do for all my guests, but they declined. I’m sorry that Ms T had so many complaints about her stay. I never heard a word about them during her stay and like she said, I was just downstairs.

Barbara, Owner & Operator of Suite Sunshine

34 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Lehigh Valley, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

My husband and I stayed in the Sage cabin on a recent trip to Yosemite. The cabin is located in Foresta - a very quick drive to the valley attractions. The cabin was beautifully furnished and very comfortable. Everything that we needed was there, including pots, pans, salt/seasonings, towels and basic toiletries including shampoo, conditioner and lotion. The outdoor Jacuzzi was wonderful - it was situated in the backyard amongst a field of Lupine flowers. It's the perfect way to relax after climbing Half Dome!

I was a little hesitant about paying for the cabin in full before we arrived, but everything worked out just as it stated it would. No need to worry.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
norfolk england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

What an absolute delight! We consider ourselves fortunate to have experienced the beauty and magnificence of Yosemite in such a gorgeous accommodation. Set in the quiet surroundings of West Yosemite, a 25 minute drive from the bustle of Yosemite village, the property is a typical duplex style house of which the upper floor is the rental. It is a bit of climb up 34 steps to the front door from the car parking and then there are 10 more steps inside to the accommodation, but it is worth it.
The open plan reception/kitchen/dining area is spacious, well equipped and very comfortable. The bedrooms are a good size, each with its own en-suite – the master en-suite is very spacious – with comfortable queen beds in each.
There is loads of storage, but you may need to bring spare clothes hangers, there are only a few in the wardrobes.
It is somewhat remote but not too difficult to find if you follow the excellent directions Barbara provides but, if self-catering, you will need to shop before you get into the Park itself as there are very limited options once you get there – there are grocery stores in Wawona and Yosemite village but they can be pricey.
Be aware that there is no air-conditioning to the property but, even though it was quite hot when we were there in June the nights were cool enough to sleep comfortably.
There is a lovely small sun terrace leading from the living area – though we didn’t see the hummingbirds that previous guests had mentioned – shame!
We enjoyed every minute here. It is a great base for the park both to get out and about as well as to relax and enjoy the whole experience of Yosemite.

Room Tip: book early
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Colchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

Firstly I would recommend additionally searching Tripadvisor under Hilltop Cabins as I think this is also the name of these group of cabins.
We stayed in Lupin cabin, part of Hilltop Cabins (4yosemite.com) for 3 nights of the end of May 2011. I could not recommend this cabin more - it was so perfect and serene, we loved it so much and didn't want to leave. A perfect base for discovering Yosemite and inside the park boundary. Privately owned by Sue, it is clean and nicely maintained, the cabin suits 2 perfectly but there is also a small cute loft area and I believe the sofa can be turned into a bed. The kitchen facilities are good, the bed is large and comfy, the views and windows are great - stargazing on the patio is a must at night. The hot tub is a lovely way to unwind after a day walking in Yosemite. There is a BBQ should you wish to use it. There was also a selection of the latest magazines (climbing, Time etc), a DVD player and some DVDs, board games and wifi. There is no television but this is to be expected in Yosemite - and who needs it anyway! Well done Sue - long may Hilltop Cabins continue in this very special part of the world.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Kissimmee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

Dear Doe & Chris,
We very much enjoyed having your lovely, clean home to return to each day after hiking the trails in Yosemite. So much nicer than a hotel room. Your home is warm and inviting. Just like the two of you.

Our experience was a great one from the very beginning. You two were came across so warm and friendly on the phone. You made us feel welcome long before we arrived.

You seem to have thought of everything. The books and magazines you left for your guests to read were great, gave us a better idea of Yosemite and info we didn't have. We also enjoyed your husband's pictures (he is a great photographer). We learned about the "T" markings (found this in one of your books). It was very helpful in finding many of the trails. Also which trails to hike if you want to get away from the crowd. Like Lake Elizabeth, Lake May, and Lake Gaylor. Each with a beauty of their own.

Since we ate all our meals at your place it was thoughtful and considerate that you left some spices, condiments, etc. So thoughtful. Thank You.

Doe it was nice to meet you. You are as pretty as you are nice. We enjoyed our little visit with you.

We will be sure to spread the word to our friends and acquaintance's about what a score your place is.

Thanks again,
Bob & Irene Palmer
Kissimmee, Florida

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Sussex, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

This place had goods and bads. It is in the park, is between 30 - 40 minute drive from the Yosemite village (road has been under construction which can make the drive longer - obviously not owners fault). It is in a subdivision. There is housing construction going on in the subdivision. I think the driveway was my worse nightmare trying to back a full size van out past the other cars parked in the driveway. It is the upstairs of the owners home (not a good option for handicap accessiblity), owner was not home, but a list of who to call if problems is on the frig. Suite Sunshine is decorated cutely, the kitchen was fully stocked with utensils - wasn't missing much if anything and all was in good condition. Has dish washer, nice frig/freezer. Gas grill worked wonderfully. However, you must remove all of your trash when you leave, so you need to pack the garbage up in your vehicle and haul it out. Realizing you are in a park, you do expect some bugs and for the most part, place was bug free, however whoever cleans needs to dust out the cobwebs in the light fixtures and windows.

Payment was 50% down with a generous refund policy if you cancelled more than 30 days before planned stay. They do not take any credit cards, and prefer a check (I rarely travel with a checkbook on vacation).

Would recommend this to others and would probably stay there again should the occassion arise to be in Yosemite again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

Charming, quaint, close to everything - - can even walk, quiet, absolutely enjoyable !
This was our second stay, so that pretty much tells you how much we like it !

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family

Been to Yosemite Vacation Homes? Share your experiences!