“A bit of elegance” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Romance
Seattle, Washington
“A bit of elegance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Ah, what a treat it was coming here for lunch. Yellowstone is a national park, so one does not expect a restaurant of this quality there. An oasis of elegance. The service was perfect, the food delicious and the wine a nice one....and a generous pour, too ! This is a lovely old hotel and the restaurant has high ceilings, lots of windows, ambience, and a 1920's décor. My friend and I agreed that the next time we come to Yellowstone, we have to stay here for a few nights.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Vancouver, Washington
“Awful. Bad food. Bad service. Bad experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Having enjoyed a wonderful and memorable dinner here a couple years ago, we decided to try the hotel for lunch. The interior has been redecorated and we were disappointed to see the warm colors replaced with colder, somewhat institutional tones that put me in mind of hospital and school cafeterias. There were very few other diners at the lunch hour – maybe five tables were occupied. We should have taken it all as a sign to get out now.

My companion ordered the Lobster Seafood Ravioli. They were swimming in truffle oil and the pasta was chewy and quite tough. Whatever the case, within the next 16 hours my companion developed a worsening gastric upset that rendered her curled up in bed for the better part of the next three days and pretty much trashed her appetite for the remainder of our Yellowstone vacation. We have both sworn to never again order shellfish when dining in a landlocked state. Too risky!

I ordered the “Herbed Goat Cheese and Roasted Vegetable” sandwich with fries and it is the first time in my entire life that I have ever returned a meal. The fries were barely warm and tough. I have seen and tasted better sandwiches wrenched from the bowels of convenience stores and vending machines. The bread was brown, like whole grain or wheat, but was gluey in texture and without substance. I couldn’t identify the contents of the sandwich by taste. The veggies were of somewhat slimy and wilted constitution, and red bell peppers were allegedly contained therein, but I couldn’t detect any flavor of them at all. I worked my way through two bites of the sandwich and two fries before throwing in the towel on the whole thing.

Our server took our order, delivered the food, and conspicuously never returned to the dining room again until my companion had finished her bowl of ravioli and my plate had been sitting barely touched at the far edge of the table where I had pushed it some time ago. The other servers were cutting their eyes at our table each time they passed. It was so obvious to us that our assigned server was taking pains to avoid returning…we were the only diners in his section! The delay in the server’s return meant I had no opportunity to try a different menu item, but in retrospect, this was probably a good thing. I neither paid for the sandwich nor was I sick later on. My hapless traveling companion was not as lucky.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
DC
“fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

One of my favorite meals at Yellowstone. The beef was absolutely fantastic. The desserts on the other hand are terrible. It seems most of the hotels in Yellowstone serve the same desserts that are not made in house, but I won't dock any points since the food is so good, you barely have room for dessert anyway. The beef, the trout were really good. I think we tried the bison here. I remember the appetizers are fantastic too. The ambience is lovely. Just a really nice restaurant. The hotel seems run down, but this section is newly renovated and gorgeous.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Orlando, Florida
“Delightful Dining Room And Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

The Lake Yellowstone Hotel has a terrific dining room. The atmosphere, like the hotel, is very pleasant. The staff is super helpful and they seem genuinely happy that you are there. The menu is full of choice, from light meals to larger, from steak to fish to poultry. The bar mixes a very good drink, no shortage on the pour there. The food is delicious and nicely presented. During two weeks of traveling the parks in the area I found this to be the nicest old school charm dining of our trip. We would return without hesitation.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cincinnati Ohio
“Not worth the hype”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We were looking forward to having meals here as the guidebooks rave about the Lake Hotel Dining room. We ate two meals here, a dinner and a lunch. Both were mediocre, and service was mostly poor. We had expected creative meals but found most offerings were standard fare for the tour bus crowd. For dinner we had a lamb slider appetizer, duck with sour cherry sauce, and a smoked salmon fettuccini. The salmon had virtually no smoked flavor, the duck was a basic duck that could be gotten anywhere. (it seems that a huckleberry sauce would have been ideal and would have localized the offering). Our lunch was bison burgers. We'd already had bison burgers elsewhere in the park, but at Lake they were not as well prepared, and nothing distinctive. If Lake is supposed to be such a great place to eat, why is it that most of the menu items had been offered at other locations? In addition, it was the end of the season, the hotel was due to close in about a week, and we felt that the management had lost control of their seasonal staff. Service was slow and lackluster although the restaurant was not full either time we ate there. We had to ask for more water, wait outrageously long time for food, to get the check, etc. We felt that Mammoth Dining room and OF Obsidian and even the OF bar food was better.

• Visited September 2013