“It just doesn't get much better than this” 5 of 5 stars

Old Faithful Inn Restaurant
In Old Faithful Inn, Yellowstone National Park, WY
307-344-7311
Improve this listing
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Buffet, Late Night, Dessert
California
“It just doesn't get much better than this”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

The Pork Osso Buco was just as good as the time I had it in 2003, which is to say “to die for” Really outstanding, in my opinion. Sometime after dinner when it was close to closing and getting slow I asked to speak to the manager to complement everybody involved. He came rushing out, appearing to be expecting the worst, another complaint, and didn't have a clue as to how to react when I told him how good it was and what a pleasure to dine there, especially after Glacier's mediocrity. He finally asked who the server was, but he was like a deer in the headlights the whole time, just confused about the whole thing. Doesn't anyone ever ask for the manager to complement things?

And that's the food that's great. Now we move on to the dining room itself. Old Faithful Inn. That's as good as it gets, at least for me. Stunning building, and IMO the poorer seats are the better ones. The window tables near the outside are great, but closer in you have more of a view of the massive log cabin Old Faithful Inn is. And it is stunning. They are getting the food out so quick it's almost too quick now. I guess trying to keep up with demand and or make money, and they don't rush you from the table, but you do get dinner minutes from the time you order it.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Victoria, Canada
“nice attmosphere but the food is not good.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

We wanted to have a special dinner at the old faithful inn and made a reservation.
the lodge is beautiful and historic and we really enjoyed it. the restaurant has no view of Old Faithful so don't think you will see anything. For two adults and two teenagers it cost us $90 to $100. The food was not very good for the money. I have had better meals pretty much anywhere else. Maybe just go for coffee and dessert to enjoy the attmosphere. The food is not good.

• 1 of 5 stars Food
Detroit, Michigan
“Enjoy the buffet at lunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Dining room is very large and service can be quite slow. We were there around 1 o'clock and did not have to wait long for a table but if you are hungry do not order from the menu. Instead, do as my husband did and enjoy the buffet. He was satisfied with the selections. I waited at least a half hour for my chicken sandwich which when it came was quite good. Some diners at other tables were visably annoyed with the wait and the preparation of their meals. The wait staff seemed to be doing their job correctly and it was the kitchen having the problem. The manager came out to 3 tables around us to apologize. Hopefully this is a short term problem.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Not worth the price”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

We had eaten in the Old Faithful Inn Dining room at lunch on a past trip and enjoyed the atmosphere, so this time we made reservations for dinner and looked forward to the experience. We were seated promptly. The prices were on the higher end, but not totally outrageous. My husband had the pork, and my older son and I ordered the bison ravioli. He asked if he could order a burger, but the waiter said that the chef didn't even make them at night (I didn't mention that they were an item on the children's menu). There were two sizes of ravioli and I assumed incorrectly that we would be given the least expensive unless we asked for the larger portion. The menu was not what was posted online before we left on the trip, so my youngest had to pass on the bison burger and asked for shrimp instead. The waiter said that he could bring him shrimp - the price was $6 for 6 medium shrimp on a couple of pieces of lettuce.
The wait was a bit long for the food.
My husband said his pork was very bland and looking at it, it looked rather fatty and unappetizing in the way it was presented. The bison ravioli was so, so. Not outstanding at all. No salads or sides, but some bread at the beginning of the meal.
After all was said and done, dinner was between $90 and $100 after tip for the 4 of us and we ended up going and getting the boys ice cream at the Snow Lodge after dinner.
Perhaps breakfast or lunch is a better value, but not sure if the food tastes any better. Not the treat we had expected. We ended up eating at the Hamilton Store next door the next couple of days.

• Visited June 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
San Diego, Ca.
“Food came out very quick and was very good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

We luckily had a reservation, but still had to wait a few minutes to get seated. Some people were getting aggravated by the wait, but the hostess kept her cool and calmly expained the situation. Expect to wait an hour and a half without a reservation. Our server was excellent and the girl pouring the water was very effecient at keeping our glasses full. Our food came out remarkably quick, even the waiter couldn't believe it. Everything tasted good. Good value on the kids buffet. We were able to bring in a bottle of wine and pay the $12 corkage fee.

• 4 of 5 stars Food