“One of My Favorites” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner
Chicago, Illinois
“One of My Favorites”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

The food won't win any gourmet awards, but Roosevelt Lodge is a great place to eat and stay. Try the Wild Game Chili; it's very good. The famous Roosevelt Beans are outstanding, but my wife makes them even better! Enjoy a bison burger and a cold beer, then sit on the front porch and chat with other travelers. This is simply my favorite place in the park. It can be busy at times, but doesn't compare to the crowds at big name spots like Old Faithful and Canyon.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Pensacola, Florida
“Just what we needed after a long day hiking!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

We were staying at the cabins and after only snacking on club crackers were were pretty hungry and hoping for a meal that wouldn't disappoint. We got what we wanted with the lodge! We don't get to eat bison down south so we ordered it this evening. I got a bison burger and my boyfriend ordered the bison tamales. Both were incredibly tasty! The Roosevelt beans were something of an art-I can't wait to make them at home! We ate breakfast the next morning before we left-I splurged and got French toast with blueberry syrup and it made my morning. The hostess seated us right by the window but there are gorgeous views wherever you are seated. We had two wonderful meals and we cannot wait to go back!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Pasco, WA
“Very disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

I had read some very glowing reviews of the Roosevelt Lodge dining room and we were all quite disappointed. The service was very sketchy and slow. The food was okay but certainly not great. We would have driven the extra 30 minutes to Mammoth Springs if we'd known what it was going to be like.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Maplewood, New Jersey
“Average but what other choice is there around?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

We went to Yellowstone NP in late August-early September 2013. On the way back from Lamar Valley going to Yellowstone lake, we stopped at Roosevelt lodge for lunch as that is essentially the only choice around.

The large restaurant was 75% full but we were sitted promptly. The staff was friendly. Food preparation was rather slow. Food portions are ample and taste was OK.

Wheelchair access is in the back of the restaurant near the restrooms.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Washington
“The quality of Xanterra's food and service slipped a notch in 2013.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Is it just me, or has the quality of food in the Park slipped down a notch in 2013? For lunch, I tried the Buffalo Chicken Salad wrap with sides of Roosevelt beans and fries. The Roosevelt beans are not to be downplayed – if you’re into beans, these are the ultimate in baked bean dishes. All French fries sampled in Yellowstone this year were lukewarm and tough. What’s up with that, Xanterra? The wrap was OK, but there didn’t seem to be a whole lot of chicken inside and the flour tortilla was thick and gluey.

For a supper I tried the Mesquite Smoked Chicken. It tasted OK, but looked really awful and unappetizing on the plate. In appearance, it reminded me of partly skinned road kill I’d had the misfortune to see once – looking slick-skinned and sun-baked to a sticky dryness on the outside, except this had barbecue sauce poured over it. Maybe this appearance is typical of half-chickens prepared in a smoker, but we’ve smoked chicken in a Little Chief on the back porch at home and never have I seen anything come out of it looking quite like that. The resemblance to that long-ago road kill really messed with my appetite. The chicken could have been presented better, but it tasted all right, cooked to the point of dropping off the bones (scary in that you cannot tell how LONG it has been DONE) there was just a touch too much of the smoke flavoring. Appetizer was a house salad. The greens were fresh.

The waiter at dinner seemed in an almighty hurry to get us fed and out of there. Thanks for making us feel rushed at what was already an overpriced and mediocre meal. Hadn’t even finished my salad and the entrée arrived, then the waiter simply hovered and waited for an opportunity to start whisking away plates. It almost reminded me of a previous dining experience elsewhere when they couldn’t wait for us to leave, except maybe this guy was just proactive and Type A.

The blaring prevalence of Norovirus FYI signage posted at the entrance to every restroom in all the Roosevelt Lodge area gave us some serious pause about staying and eating there at all. We did not see these signs posted any place else in the Park. Roosevelt Dining Room doesn’t take reservations, so preceding each meal we lingered about wasting valuable vacation time with pager in hand, awaiting a table for at least half an hour.

Visited June 2013