“Perfect central location,basic but modern cabins:an excellent choice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dunraven Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Yellowstone National Park
Dunraven Lodge
You added Dunraven Lodge to your Saves list
North Rim Drive, Yellowstone National Park, WY   |
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Perfect central location,basic but modern cabins:an excellent choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Dunraven and Cascade lodges are listed under Canyon Lodge Standard Hotel Room 2 doubles. One cannot reserve the Dunraven lodge specifically. I put an e-mail request for a room at Dunraven at a higher floor facing the woods ( not the parking lot) and the request was honoured. But apart from the presence of a lift at Dunraven lodge the two are almost identical and situated next to each other.
In August 2012 the main Canyon area was a construction site as the whole roof of the dining area was getting replaced. You have to check in first at the main reception (next to the canyon cafeteria ), collect keys and then travel to Dunraven lodge. The young man at desk was efficient & courteous. Explained the map with the lay out of the Canyon area.
You come out of the village, turn right, turn right again at the No Entry for the North Rim drive ,then go beyond the loops of cabins and the lodges are the last accommodation at the end of the road.
I believe there is a short cut from the back of the reception but that road was closed because of construction.
The lodges are just few minutes drive from the main area but miles away in terms of hustle & bustle of the canyon village with all its stores, cafeteria, Visitors Centres etc. Plenty of parking right in front of the lodges and a decent size lift to save your back from carrying bags to third floor. There are no facilities in the lodge other than Ice Vending machine so you have to travel to the main Canyon area for the services.
Would take about 10-15 minutes by foot but we always used the car as I saw a big bull elk several times near the parking lot and people reported bison sighting as well. Please carry a torch as it is pitch dark in the night and the road was full of large craters.
The room was of decent size for 2 adults and 2 kids, brightly coloured walls with a small round table and couple of chairs, Keurig coffee maker , a smallish bathroom and a separate basin area. No fridge. Storage area was a bit tight but we were living out of the suitcases and it wasn't too bad.
I loved those cute little teddy bear soaps.
Just like Old Faithful Inn the shower pressure was not brilliant. Unlike some other reviewers I had absolutely no problem with the bed or the pillows.
No laundromat in the lodge and the nearest one is in the Canyon Camp ground public shower complex on the other side of the road. Closes at 8 PM.
The cleaning ladies first service the rooms which have been vacated and our room was not serviced till 2 pm on couple of days.
No A/C but in late August we were fine with a portable fan in the afternoon with windows opened and the nights and the morning was quite cold, needing a fleece. Windows have fine mesh insect guards.

Our third floor room had the view of back of the lodge with the forest and I could hear the stream faintly in the night. I did not have any problem with noisy neighbours in the night. But remember a lot of people wake up early for wildlife viewing and some of them are not very considerate when coming to closing the doors. If your room is next to the main exit or the stairways you may get disturbed from the closing of the doors in early morning.

There are some chairs in the porch to enjoy a morning coffee and a lounge area at the ground floor to relax and share stories with fellow travellers. Obviously no TV.

Location wise I feel the Canyon area is perfect. Originally I wanted to stay at Roosevelt Lodge to enjoy the isolation and rustic charm. But had to drop that idea as I was late in booking the cabins with attached baths,which can't be booked on line.
One day while returning from Lamar valley I had lunch at Roosevelt lodge and had a good look at the area including the inside of a Roughrider cabin which was being cleaned. I didn't like what I saw and was glad that we stayed at Dunraven which has the modern facilities, the services of the canyon area but still away from the crowd.

Hayden valley is just a few miles and the majestic canyon is literally at the doorstep. Staying so close gives you the chance to see the canyon at different times of the day with changing colours of the canyon wall. Try to be at the Artist's point between 0940-10 am on a sunny day and you'll be rewarded with the most glorious rainbow over the lower falls. Plenty of hiking trails in this area including the North Rim trail which starts from just behind the cabins.
As mentioned I saw the big bull elk on two occasions just next to the parking lot.

Xanterra staff would leave a stuffed animal on the bed but you are under no obligation to buy that. Saying so my little one ended up with 6 soft toys!!
Agreed it's basic but who spends time inside hotel room when travelling to YNP?
Overall a very satisfying experience and I'd strongly recommend Dunraven to anyone visiting YNP.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Yellowstone national park has various villages, the distance between the various villages is 40 to 60 miles, so we chose to stay here 1 night for visiting the upper part and at the Old faithful the day after for visiting the lower part.
We had room 311 at the Dunraven building, located on the third floor. The building has an elevator, so carrying luggage is no problem. The room was basic, without much luxury and no phone, but had a nice atmosphere with bright colors and natural materials used. It was very clean and had very good beds with no noise from the neighbouring rooms and a window overlooking the forest (if you're lucky, you can spot animals from your room).
We took breakfast at the hotel, this is served in the main building (car needed to go there), this was a buffet. Although the breakfast hall was half empty, they made us wait for almost half an hour before we were 'allowed' to be seated, we still don't understand why. The food itself was just okay, the standard choice you find in most buffets, not of a very high quality.
We had a good night at this hotel, but if we return to Yellowtone, we would probably try to stay at the Old Faithful for the whole period, it is the better hotel, and looking back, we consider you can visit the whole park from any of the villages.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Titusville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

After spending 3 noisy nights at The Old Faithful Inn, we visited the Yellowstone Canyon area and had a room at the Dunraven Inn. The place is newer, the rooms quite attractive, and the location was great

There was a lot of construction going on, and some of the parking lots by the main Canyon Lodge area were closed. Apart from the inconvenience caused by the construction, we loved this place

Room Tip: upper floor on the side facing the wooded area (rear of the building?)
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Plainfield, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Keeping in mind where you are,this is probably the nicest and most peaceful place in the park to room. There is nothing near the two lodges for services unless you want a ten to fifteen minute walk or short drive to the restaurant,post office,etc. The bright.well windowed , top floor room was large enough for the two comfortable double beds and a nice table and chairs, and a big enough bathroom. You live out of your suitcase,but it was worth it to us.The staff was typical Xanterra--pleasant and accomodating. We stayed at least two nights in four places and this was a favorite for relaxation.Nice and clean! The only disruption was a bison outside the entrance one morning.

Room Tip: Top floor in back of building would be my choice, but I'll take anything if I go again.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Venice, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

When booking our two-night reservation at Canyon Lodge for early September, I specified Dunraven, since the building has an elevator, but there is no guarantee. Fortunately our room was in Dunraven on the 3rd floor. It was driving distance from the Canyon Lodge facilities over a road that has lots of potholes. The room had two double beds, a table with two straight chairs, and a Keurig coffee maker which I used each evening. Housekeeping was lacking since there was dirt/dust/hair on the bathroom floor which I wiped up rather than look at. My used K-cup was replaced, but not the creamer/stirrer packet--fortunately we only needed one each night and we started with two. We liked the easy-to-open windows, since the room was warm when we arrived.

As others have mentioned, dining was a challenge at Canyon, since their cafeteria closes after Labor Day even though I was told they kept a section of their cabins open later than usual which meant more diners. The general store closed at 5 pm, so their main dining room was the only option. We found if we arrived before 6 pm, the wait wasn't too bad to be seated, but then there was the wait to be served. We didn't mind too much, since there wasn't anything else to do in the evening. We had two dinners and two breakfasts in the dining room, and each time the waiters were friendly and apologized for the slow service. The Deli offered pre-made sandwiches which we picked up in the morning for lunch.

The two-story Canyon Visitor Center is very well done and definitely worth visiting. The exhibits are informative, and ranger assistance is provided. Two interesting shows can be viewed in a comfortable air conditioned theater.

The location of the Canyon Lodge is central making this facility particularly attractive, and I would recommend Dunraven as a building of choice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

We stayed at the Dunraven Lodge for 4 nights just a few weeks ago and it was great. Although the room was rather small it was comfortable, quiet and well appointed. From Dunraven Lodge It is only a short walk to Canyon Village. In Canyon Village there is a post office, general store, gift shops, ranger station, and very good dining facilities. The lodge is right adjacent to the forest so it is very easy to spot wildlife. On our first night a large mule deer was grazing right outside our window. On our third night we returned to our parking lot to find a huge buffalo grazing just like the mule deer. The check in and check out was a breeze with agreat staff to answer any questions. After staying at some of the other less attractive lodges in the National Park System the Dunraven was fantastic. I would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a third floor room facing the woods when making your reservation.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

First of all, there are a few things I knew about the Dunraven lodge before our trip. Two full size beds instead of a queen. No phone. No chest of drawers. A ways from the dining room and other servies. So, I can't really knock the place for any of those. But I can't say I liked any of them either. I found out I also didn't like the pod coffee maker, which produced luckwarm, yukky coffee. Nor the broken towel rod, which I reported but was never fixed during the week we stayed there. I also didn't like the fact that, not only is there no phone in the room, there isn't even a phone in the building. But, the room was clean and quiet and Canyon is located in the middle of the park, so putting up with a few things we didn't like wasn't that big of a deal.

What was a big deal was trying to eat at Canyon. Somebody thought it would be a good idea to close the cafeteria on the first week of our stay, even though it appeared the place was booked. We got back from a day of photography at 9:00 pm and tried to eat at the much more expensive dining room (the only place open after about 6:00 PM) and found out there would be an hour and a half wait for a table) Deciding that we didn't want to eat at 11:00 or so, we tried to get some food from the bar, and even that took an hour.

There was lots of construction going on a Canyon during our stay as well. Understood, because they have very little time for construction during the year. But I can't say it made the stay any better.

Next time I'd probably stay at the Lake Hotel, or maybe the Snow Lodge.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yellowstone National Park
Old Faithful Snow Lodge and Cabins
Old Faithful Snow Lodge and Cabi...
#1 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
4.0 of 5 stars 1,046 reviews
Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Cabins
Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Cabin...
#4 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
3.5 of 5 stars 453 reviews
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabins
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabi...
#3 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
Rodeway Inn and Suites
Rodeway Inn and Suites
#3 of 8 in Gardiner
4.5 of 5 stars 608 reviews

Been to Dunraven Lodge? Share your experiences!