“A good choice in Yellowstone” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dunraven Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Yellowstone National Park
Dunraven Lodge
North Rim Drive, Yellowstone National Park, WY   |
Teesside, England
“A good choice in Yellowstone”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

My wife & I stayed at Dunraven Lodge (416) for five nights 19 – 23 June 2011 and I can only echo the review of most of the previous comments. The room is large, clean, bright and functional with a nice bathroom with a bath and shower, 2 queen beds and a small table and chairs by the window. No TV and a one-cup coffee/tea machine.

I booked Canyon Lodge 6 months in advance and I am glad we chose Canyon as it is the most central accommodation in Yellowstone, only a few minutes drive to the Grand Canyon. A few weeks before we arrived I rang Xanterra to request Dunraven Lodge and also ask for a top floor room (I know these requests are not guaranteed, but I thought I would try). When we arrived to check in we were allocated a room in Cascade! When we got to the room it was next door to the ice & drinks machine which we didn’t want, it was noisy. So I returned to the check in desk and asked for a move, the guy said he could only offer us a room in Dunraven, I said that’s what I requested weeks ago! Could we have a top floor room and he said yes, no problem . . . . so any room requests are completely ignored!

I understood both Cascade & Dunraven Lodges are exactly the same. The Cascade room had a chest of drawers but when we got to our Dunraven room it didn’t have any drawers - hanging space yes but no drawers. For $170 per room per night I think they could provide a small chest of drawers! So for five nights we had to more or less live out of our suitcases. The housekeeping in our room was not very good, the beds were never made properly and the bathroom was not cleaned each day very well.

I can’t believe it when people say the food in Canyon Dining room was not good, we ate there each night and found the food good with good service. You cannot reserve a table in the Dining Room and by 7pm the wait is around 60 minutes but they give you a little buzzer and they buzz you when a table is vacant. One post said these buzzers work in your room – the receptionist told us they only work in the lounge & adjoining gift shop, not outside! The Dining Room, café, gift shops, deli. etc. are only about a 5 minute drive from Dunraven Lodge but if you decide to walk watch out for bears, two were in the car park while we were there!

If we return to Yellowstone NP we would definitely stay at Dunraven Lodge again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

118 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Bedford UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

WE stayed here for three nights. We were lucky enough to get a 2/3 floor room facing the woods.We had a little breakfast nook by the window.
It was a lovely peaceful location - perhaps a 5 /10 min walk to the main lodge. The room was clean and bright, it was lovely and cool when the windows were open (with protective insect net). Canyon is a great central location for exploring the park.
We used our cooler bag and ate in two evenings after our travels. There are ice machines most floors of the lodge and a lounge area on the ground floor. No TVs. One cup coffee/tea machine.
Bison greeted us in the car park as we unpacked. Brilliant.

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

We stayed at the Dunraven lodge for 5 nights at the beginning of July. We have stayed in the lodge at yosemite a few times so our expections weren't very high for this one either. It was actually really nice. Clean, bright, and comfortable after long days of hiking. We were on the third floor overlooking the woods which was nice and quiet and allowed us to leave our windows open all day. We did take a small fan to put in front of the window for circulation but they also had in in the room when we got there. The only complaint I have is that people smoke right by the doors and on the balcony upstairs so when you open the doors the hallways can stick of smoke. I think they should require them to smoke away from the building entrances. Luckily this was not an issue for us until the last night. Is it overpriced? Yes, but it is right in the middle of the park so you are paying for location location. I preferred this location over others in the park that seemed really loud and busy.

Room Tip: request upper level room and back of lodge next to woods
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

We just got back from our trip at Yellowstone and we stayed in the Old Faithful Inn, Grant Village and Dunraven. I think the Dunraven Lodge was by far the nicest room. Obviously, we are talking about hotels in a National Park, so don't expect luxury or anything, but it was clean, new and very comfortable. You need to request Dunraven (as there are several locations at Canyon) and you should also request view of the woods. The food and coffee at Canyon was not good...but that goes for the entire park.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

Our family of four stayed in a room on the second floor. It was very clean and comfortable. Had a hair dryer, coffee maker (k-cups), table w/ two chairs, bench seat and two double beds. There were no dressers w/ room for clothes, but room for suitcases to lay out (but not what I would call spacious). The lodges are more than a short walk from the food/services at Canyon. If you don't want to walk, it's a two minute car ride to the food, a five minute ride to the major scenic attractions in the area. Lodge has common area w/ couches and tables and vending machines, but no services in the building. Nice porches to sit, but too cold during our visit (yes, cold in June - we had light snow).

Room Tip: Some rooms overlook woods, others the parking lot.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Central New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

Dunraven Lodge is located in Canyon Village. As pointed out by many other reviewers, this is a great central location in the park. The room was large, clean and contained 2 double beds with a small table and chairs. Think clean motel room. I didn't think it was anything spectacular, but it definitely was one of the better places we stayed at in the park. They had an unmanned lobby area in this lodge, so if you need anything, you have to go back to the main Canyon Village area.

When you book in Canyon Village, please make sure to request Dunraven or Cascade Lodges.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

Dunraven Lodge is the best accommodations I ever slept in. It was like a dream; lodgey-feeling, NO icky perfumed detergents used on towels and sheets but instead unscented laundry products used in the facility. that's the way I like it! And that's hard to find. No lame room "fresheners". Just a nice room that doesn't smell like a cheap motel. It had a nice table next to the window to sit and write on. A pleasant bathroom. Great pine beds that were comfortable. I wish all travel lodging were like this place. I'd stay forever....Well done, Dunraven Lodge. You're the best and I hope to come back!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Dunraven Lodge? Share your experiences!