“here be dragons” 4 of 5 stars

Norfolk, UK
52 attraction reviews
“here be dragons”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We stopped at this spot after the sulphur caldron whilst out driving in the park. I have to say that this side of the park is more acidic and the more pleasant smell of eggs cooking elsewhere in the park was replaced by this more rancid pungent smell. I found it quite hard to cope with the smell, but placing my jumper over my nose and mouth and breathing through that got me through it. The pungent smell here at mud volcano was only in a few places, not as bad as sulphur caldron. I liked the variety of the features here, seeing the trees that had literally been cooked. At the end was the dragons mouth spring - that was amazing, this steam puffing out of what looked like a cave, the waves lapping out of it and the roar of the dragon. There really could be one living in that hole! ;) I think kids would love that spring, very stimulating to the imagination.

Greenville, South Carolina
55 attraction reviews
“Great feature we saw before and during sunrise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Most of our Yellowstone attractions we saw the previous day was in blazing hot sun and the photos were not flattering. But we woke up the next day at 5 AM and were up to see this by 6.30 AM. The sun was coming out and th elight on the steam and sufur springs cast a beautiful light. I wish we could have seen other features in the same light.

Visited August 2013
Mountain View, California
19 attraction reviews
“Dragon's Mouth geyser is cool”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We enjoyed our quick stop here to see the thermal sights next to the parking lot. Dragon's Mouth geyser is very cool with the steam and roaring sounds coming from a cave. There are also bathroom facilities here - their smells rival the thermals'. :}

Visited August 2013
Gainesville, Florida
13 attraction reviews
“Yellowstone trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We really loved all that Yellowstone National Park had to offer. We took a guided day tour the first full day there and got a really great overview of the park, as well as heard lots of stories and historical facts. The next day we went back to see parts of the park in greater detail as well as some sites we were not able to see in the "whirlwind" day tour. This is a place we could have easily spent 2 weeks! It is so wild and the variety of flora, fauna, and terrain is fascinating! A wonderful vacation! We stayed in a hotel north of Mammoth Springs in Gardiner, only about 5 miles away -- recommended highly if you aren't able to stay in the park, which was already booked months ahead. Great location!

Atlanta, Georgia
102 attraction reviews
“Don't go out of your way, but if you're close stop!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed this stop. The kids stayed in the car (they were geothermal-featured out!!). I loved the dragon's mouth cave with sulfur steam coming out. The mud volcano was interesting, but not a huge wow factor. We walked up the boardwalk and at the top there was a huge bison laying just in front of one of the thermal water holes...very cool!! We got back to the car and made the kids walk to the dragon's mouth and mud volcano just to say they saw it when they are older (they begrudgingly went when I offered them $10).