“Great historic inn and you can't beat the...” 4 of 5 stars

Old Faithful Inn
2.5 of 5 Inn   |   Old Faithful, Yellowstone National Park, WY 82190   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Great historic inn and you can't beat the...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

Great historic inn and you can't beat the location. We sprang for a room in the historic part of the inn where the bathrooms are down the hall. Not a big deal, but some of the these rooms view the rooftop and if you get one right next to the bathroom, you may hear toilets flushing. We were in room 114, I'd recommend another.

If you wish to eat in the inn make dinner reservations well in advance. The staff was great and its truly a magnificent experience

• Stayed September 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2010

Third floor, room 245 overlooks the steaming geyser field (not Old Faithful) but is also tour bus and reception driveway central. I could hear every word of every tour guide addressing their arriving bus herds, starting just before 7 AM. I requested to move rooms.

Room 233 (where I am right now) is overlooking nothing but the rear sidewalk entrance, and it sounds like there is a giant washing machine on the roof directly over my head. I asked to move rooms again at 4 AM when I kept waking up due to the noise, but was told I needed to wait for a manager at 6 AM. They gave me earplugs.

Some people would not mind the noise, but if you are sensitive to it like I am, you want to stay in the old section, and really desire quiet, you might want a room that faces Old Faithful - not just for the view, but also because it is away from the driveway and the roof vent, or whatever this noise is. I swear it sounds like I am inside an ice machine.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

£170/double room for a £80room.
Restaurant meal was sent back twice, hot meal served cold on cold plates and over cooked. Overall; a poor experiencene and a sad reflection onf American service and quality.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

We stayed in the newer wing of the Old Faithful Inn and were not disappointed. What a wonderful old historic building I am amazed that it can still accommodate the traffic that it does in such a gracious way. Worth the cost for the experience and less driving. The lobby was a must see, we sat on the second level with a cocktail and marvelled at it's splendor. Our room was nice and very clean. What a good idea not to have a tv in the room, it enhanced the experience and we didn't waste anytime on needless viewing! The dining room was overrated and I would skip that next time. It was very crowded and the service was slow.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Carson City, Nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

We stayed in the 1913 east wing extension, it was clean bur zero ambiance. Indeed, we had a view of a parking lot. The main lodge was excellent though few rooms had their own bathrooms --- I would take one of those at $107 per day vs. the sterile $241 a day east wing monstrosities --- they could be decorated to meld into the old Inn look and feel. Why make the Old Faithful Inn look like a Motel 6 ? Too bad --- a true disappointment.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Frederick, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

This hotel is in the perfect location for Yellowstone, and it is a unique and historic hotel, with a beautiful lobby, but......
The restaurant was rather poor. Skip spending your money on the breakfast buffet.
The hotel was really crowded and noisy. At night, it was hard to sleep!
Our room was terrible...although tolerable. No TV, small bathroom, No A/C (it was 80 degrees on the day we were there), and uncomfortable bed and pillows.
It was quite disappointing, and the worst room out of all of the hotels we stayed in during our Yellowstone/Grand Tetons trip. (in spite of paying extra for the "upgraded" room!)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

We stayed here for two nights September 3 and 4. First, we stayed in a new wing with private bath and two beds. The room was clean and plenty spacious for us. They do not have air conditioning but it really isn’t needed in that part of the country. It was a tad warm when we walked in because it had gotten up to the mid 70s but they have a good desk fan. I opened the window but it was a little annoying since I could not open it past 6 inches nor keep it up without placing a plastic bottle under it. However, when I turned the fan on it more than cooled the room down considering the breeze coming thru the window on the second floor. We never turned the heat on even though the morning was around 30 degrees. The insulation is incredible. The room was nearly always comfortable or could be made comfortable quite fast. You can hear doors slam and people have a tendency to let their kids run wild up and down the wide hallway which is rather loud but things calm down at a decent hour. There is no TV which I have concluded is an unnecessary item given how tired I was both nights and went right to bed. The bathroom is adequate for one or two people. There is one deep bowled sink with an extra shelf above the sink. It was fine for us but if you like to spread all your toiletries out, you will be out of luck if you have a lot. The shower pressure was very good and water was hot. The towels are nice and fluffy. I loved their exfoliating soap and bought extra in the gift shop. They have a heat lamp overhead but it is noisy and can be heard in other rooms. This does not last long either. They have nice teas and coffees with a Keurig coffee machine. The lighting in the room is a little lacking, but we were too tired to read so it did not matter.

I would not have minded had I been by myself to have a community bath since I have done this in the past in a B&B. However, I would not want an older log room with community bath on the first floor. There are way too many people coming by to get to their rooms. It might be a pleasant experience if the room were on the second or third floor.

The lobby can be found on the internet and it is every bit incredible if not more in person. Go upstairs and experience looking down. The second floor offers views over the dining room as well. The Crow’s Nest which goes all the way to the top is closed in the early morning hours so I missed going up the day I left. It is something to look forward to next time.

When we arrived the first night, we did not have a dinner reservation and no one had cancelled so we ate from the deli. It was quite good and offered some of the same and a one or two items not found at other delis. Prices were reasonable considering location and other places we had visited. No reservation is required for breakfast or lunch. We ate breakfast here the next morning and found the service very slow. I had French toast which was ok but not great. My mom loved her eggs and toast but found the bacon and sausage fatty. For dinner I had the bison burger and it was good but the fries were cold. My mom loved her farm raised Idaho trout with rice but said the green beans were just ok. Again, service was slow. In the morning, we had breakfast and service was better. For dinner, we were told that the grill across the way behind the hotel did not require any reservations but we opted not to go. I also think the snow lodge has a grill but not sure if they require reservations for dinner. Check out the windows in the older part of the dining room. I think they are etchings of children’s fairy tales. It was little hard to see clearly since people were eating next to them and I did not want to barge through. It is also better to view these at night given the lighting. The only thing I really wanted was a refrigerator in the room. I guess they want you to buy cold drinks from their shops. They do have a nice ice vending machine.

I loved the location of this hotel the most. When we got up the next morning we traveled 6 miles down the road and started with Midway basin, hit Biscuit and then Black Sand basin and then came back to the hotel. Right outside the hotel is a fabulous loop around pools and geysers. You can rent a bike and go down one side to view some of the most famous there but you can’t ride on the wood boardwalk. Trust me you see a lot just from the paved road. Next time I will do both – walk and rent. This road would also be great for a wheelchair. Of course, Old Faithful is right outside the door!!!!
There is a new multi-million dollar education center next door which is awesome and a must see.

When my mom and I go on long 10 day trips we love to mix it up…lots of sightseeing and lots of shopping. The hotel has a great gift shop and next door is a snack shop with some souvenirs with gas station. In back of the hotel are two more really great gift shops and another gas station. Gas by the way was only about 15 cents more than the going rate in Wyoming while it was 30 cents higher right across the state line into Montana. I know this because we traveled from Rapid City, SD to Jackson Hole, WY. They have a gift shop in the education center and I think they have another in the snow lodge also located next to the hotel. The gift shops each had something different to offer which was for the most part like that in the park as a whole. Wyoming certainly is proud of its claim to the first national park and first national monument and it shows. Also in the back is a post office and clinic which my mom had to use due to a bug bite. They have great service at the clinic. The post office is closed on Saturday.

I will be back to this hotel as the pros far outweigh any con.

• Stayed September 2010

Been to Old Faithful Inn? Share your experiences!