“Basic and fine-but massive operation” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Canyon Lodge and Cabins

You added Canyon Lodge and Cabins to your Saves list
Canyon Lodge and Cabins
3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   5700 Norris Canyon Rd, Yellowstone National Park, WY 82190   |
GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Basic and fine-but massive operation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

You get what you pay for. We stayed at a Frontier cabin and the rooms are basic, functional and clean. I have no complaints. We had booked Canyon lodge due to the reviews of central location, knowing better now I would not stay there and get closer to where I want to be experiencing different cabins. Also it is a massive people moving operation and we prefer quieter places with better food.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We (party of 4) stayed in a Western Cabin for two nights at the beginning of September. When we booked in March, Canyon Lodge was the only accomodation in the whole park which still had something available, so we didn't have a choice, but we are glad we ended up at Canyon Lodge. The Western Cabin cost us $209 + tax which isn't cheap, but you are in Yellowstone NP after all.

The Western Cabins are located about half mile down the hill from the registration office and there are four cabins in each block. We arrived at approximately 4pm and were checked-in a few minutes afterwards. The cabin had two double beds and was quite small, but enough for four persons. The bathroom was small as well with the sink outside of the bathroom in the entrance area. As others have said, no TV or telephone but you don't need them when in Yellowstone where you go to bed early and wake up early in the morning as well. Temperatures were chilly late in the evening (0°C / 32F or even below) but the small heater was enough to keep the room quite warm.

From the Western Cabins you can walk down to the Canyon Falls viewpoints in about 15 minutes. We found the location of Canyon Village ideal to discover the park since you are a short drive (30 min. to max. 1 hour) from everywhere (Old Faithful, Lake Village, Roosevelt, etc.).

Besides lodging, we also ate at the dining room twice for dinner and breakfast. We found the food to be of good quality and prices to be fair. We don't really understand the many negative comments here on tripadvisor (except maybe for the wait which can be longer than 1 hour).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Baldwinsville, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We stayed at Cascade Lodge and had rooms on the third floor. The rooms are very large with cathedral ceilings. Nicely appointed for a room in a national park. The bathroom was small with the sink outside in the bedroom area of the room. Plenty of towels and a k-cup coffee maker. The windows open so we could enjoy the night sounds. Everything was clean and comfortable. I definitely would recommend Cascade Lodge and Dunraven Lodge.

Room Tip: I recommend the third floor but please note that Cascade Lodge does not have an elevator. Our windo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We stayed in one of the frontier cabins while travelling as couple last September.
Some of the cabins are within walking distance from the Canyon north rim, which is nice. But that's it.

As usual with Xanterra accomodation in Yellowstone, sheets were much to small, barely reaching my shoulders even when untucked (I'm 6ft1).

Lighting in the cabin was dim, but that is probably for the best as everything seemed worn out and a bit grubby. The sink was stained.

Maybe the lodge is better?

It should also be noted that dining options are non-existent: a snack/grill that serves until 6.45 pm (closes at 7pm...), and the lodge dining room. We got there at 7.30, and were only seated two hours later (only two of us, can't think what it would be like with a larger group).

Conveniently, the bar sits just outside the dining area so you can allways order drinks and appetizers... but not sit down as they have far to few chairs and tables for the number of guests around. Bear in mind that this was in the second week of September, can't think what it would be like during the July/August rush.

Maybe the lodge hotel rooms are better? Unfortunately, not really any other options around...

Room Tip: Ask for a cabin near the rim. They might be a little more expensive, I can't recall, but locatio...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Stayed in a frontier cabin. Location was the only thing it had going for it. Paid a fair bit of money because our 12 year old children are considered adults and you have to pay extra for them. It is very small with stained carpets and bedding that has seen better days. It is in a complex of 8 cabins in a spoke like formation - so you will hear your neighbours. When the plumbing was used in the cabin next to us in the middle of the night it made a noise that was so loud and disturbing I actually jumped out out bed trying to figure out what it was. Very hot when you go to bed and then freezing by morning.
However it is a good location - you don't have to drive in and out of the park etc. and is close to the restaurant and store so it does cut down on driving considerably
Normally not very picky but we stayed in Colter Bay Cabins and OF Snow lodge cabins and this was disappointing when we compared the prices we paid for each.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Canton, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed at a cabin in Canyon after staying at OF Inn, West Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. Shocking change of quality. Being warned on here that the in-park lodging is basically a box with bed and bathroom, this is what I expected all others would be. This is the spareness, come to life. That would be ok, if we weren't spoiled the first three nights. Seriously, it is a place to sleep, so that's all I cared about, I thought.
Cabins aren't really cabins. They are like three rectangles all connected. Family stayed next door, but never loud. If you forget something in your car, have a light source, it's the darkest of anywhere I've been. The things that needed to be cleaned were clean, but walls were not. The room did have more room than OF, so if you like to run around the free floor after a day on-th-go, this place is for you. Also, I come from Ohio where roads are torn up from trucks clearing snow, and the state of decay these roads were in, must have only come from years of neglect. I had a Subaru Outback and the roads did not handle well. Everything about this place contradicts the beauty of Yellowstone.
My other problem was with the thermostat. Windows were open, heat off and thermostat read at 90*. We closed windows anticipating cold, but couldn't justify heat when it was stifling. Woke in middle of night feeling like we were sleeping in the woods. FREEZING, doesn't describe it. Ok, thermostat still reads 90* but I turn it on anyways to 70*. Woke again like we were being microwaved. So HOT! Turned it down just a tad, and cold ensued again. Not a good night of sleep. The next night I set it for 50* and with all the blankets, it seemed to work out.
We also went to bed hungry because I counted on eating at Canyon for dinner more than any other place as we started running out of groceries. I felt I was more prepared than most with the amount of planning I did, but did not realize most food options were closed after 6pm and services were stopped. Dining room had a two hour wait, at 8pm. They offered eating at bar like they just gave you prize. The problem with that? All these people enjoying drinks and no food just lingered like they had no plans the next day. We were starving, standing there, while they just sat in the only chairs that offered food... with no food. Ok, so my hunger was coming through. Speaking to the desk, they said that with only 5 days left, they were lucky to have what they have. I believe he added how that 5 days couldn't come quickly enough. Nice. Now granted, this is in late September. However, this place should have lowered prices for not being able to provide services for the number of people they were lodging. It was over $100 with taxes. Not ok. Not worth it and any amount of management comments won't fix my only BAD experience in the entire park.
A young couple came in while we were waiting and thought they'd get seated right away. I'll never forget the look on their faces when they were told they couldn't get a table until 10pm (they close at 10... how does that work?) Food isn't something you can just give the prepared and rich, for crying out loud. We left and went to bed hungry... ok, I ate half a pb&j, but I had so much for lunches, I didn't eat more.
We felt obligated to eat a hearty breakfast the next morning due to our hunger, instead of cereal, but that just proved to be another bad experience. We waited for our food forever... ok, but it should come hot then. It wasn't even warm. Eggs... not good cold. Hash browns, really not good cold. They were cold. We ate b/c the thought of them "fixing" it was ridiculous. The waitress looked like her hair wasn't washed or brushed in a week. I can see being young and not really caring, but it wasn't a small issue, her hair that was put up was beyond acceptable (and I'm no hair Nazi) and no staff asked her to brush it and put it up again? She acted like living was a serious hassle. Precious hours in this beautiful park wasted on cold, expensive food. Oh, and when we were seated we asked for the $5.95 deal that is advertised in this dining room. She told us it was next door. We weren't going to wait to be seated at another dining room. Yes, it was next door and I read it on the way out, but it was in small print and after my night, I was in no shape to read thoroughly.
Unfortunately, they know people will come. It's just a shame. The quality here ... isn't. The rest of my trip... just as amazing as BEFORE Canyon cabins!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Keizer
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Our family of 4 stayed for 6 nights in a Frontier Cabin at Canyon Village in Yellowstone Park and paid $100/night. The outside looked a bit rustic, but the inside was clean and comfortable and felt more like a motel room (minus the tv). We had maid service daily with fresh towels, shampoo, and soap. We stayed in August and the room was a bit stuffy in the evening when we would return for the day, but there was a fan you could use by the open windows to cool off the room. The temperature gets very cool in the evening and night, even in the summer, so by morning we were turning on the heat. That is just how it is at Yellowstone. There is no cooking inside the cabins and at check in you have to sign a paper saying if you do cook in the cabins they will charge you a $250 fee. But there are wooden deck/patio areas outside all of the cabins and if you want you can bring a propane camp stove to cook (I called and they said yes, this is permitted). You just need to put them inside when fully cooled so they don't attract the animals. I guess you could bring a hot plate, toaster, or coffee pot and just run a longer extension cord (like those orange ones) out to the deck. The cabins were so clean and comfortable that I would not hesitate to stay there again. The Canyon Village area is the most central village in Yellowstone and if you want to stay in just one area as a home base, then this is the place. It was a 30 to 45 minute drive to each of the other villages. Yellowstone is a VERY BIG park, so expect alot of driving to see it all. Before traveling here I read in many many reviews that it is hard to get cell phone service in the park. We have iphones and were able to get good reception most of the time. And much of the time we were even able to access the internet on our phones. So if you want a nice, clean, comfortable place to stay in a central part of Yellowstone for a reasonable rate then I would highly recommend the Frontier Cabins at Canyon Village.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Canyon Lodge and Cabins? Share your experiences!