“Cozy Cabin for Good Value in Yellowstone” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Roosevelt Lodge Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Yellowstone National Park
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
2.5 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   PO Box 165, Tower-Roosevelt Junction, Yellowstone National Park, WY 82190   |
GreenLeadersSilver level
Vancouver, Canada
“Cozy Cabin for Good Value in Yellowstone”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I stayed here for the second night of my two night stay in Yellowstone National Park late August. My first night was spent at the Canyon Lodge & Cabins. I stayed in two different places due to availability when booking just over a month in advance (book early!). I have to say the despite Roosevelt Cabins having fewer amenities (no private bathroom and a wood stove instead of regular heating) I enjoyed my stay there the most. The Roosevelt Cabins were rustic, cozy and charming. I didn't mind the small walk to the shared bathrooms. Even better, the price is right too to stay within Yellowstone! Note that if you're arriving after dark (like I did after stretching out my day exploring the beautiful park) it's easy to miss the big wooden entrance sign to the lodge as it's not lit up at night.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

187 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Our single night in the Roosevelt Lodge Cabins was not nearly enough! Situated in the heart of Yellowstone's wildlife area, we spotted wolves, bears, buffalo, moose, antelope, foxes and geese all within 2 hours upon our arrival! We'd heard this was the best part of the park for observing wildlife and we were not disappointed!

The cabins were spectacularly charming. Their rustic, charming 1940's era decor made us feel like we were going back in time. I imagine it wasn't all that different from when my own mother visited as a child. We stayed in a room with a private bath and two double beds and it had plenty of room for my husband and our 3 kids even with our toddler sleeping in a pack-n-play. The hot water never got really hot, but we're in the middle of the wilderness, so we didn't mind much.

Our dinner at the Roosevelt Lodge was great. The pulled pork sandwich was especially good and our kids loved the corn bread. As is true everywhere in Yellowstone, meals aren't a bargain but we felt Roosevelt Lodge was the best value for the money of anywhere else we dined in the park.

We will definitely return--hopefully for at least a 3-4 day stay next time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We were a bit dubious about staying in a place with no bathroom, but figured we could do anything for a night and for being near the Lamar Valley (we came in from Mammoth Hot Springs and hiked the Lamar Valley on the way out to the northeast entrance). One huge bonus is the setting at the lodge is much more rustic than other parts of the park. We LOVED the cabin. We had three double beds -- for my husband and me and our son. We were there at the end of July and didn't think we needed the stove (so put gear all around it) -- it was pretty chilly by morning. I recommend leaving yourself the option of using the stove, even in the summer. The bathhouse/restrooms were close and very clean, more convenient and cleaner than what we experience when we camp. And incidentally the price is much less than staying elsewhere in the park. My one (minor) gripe was the bright light on the front of the cabin; it was hard to see stars even on my restroom run in the middle of the night. I was worried about wildlife if I wandered too far away, and my footsteps on the gravel seemed loud. We enjoyed dinner in the lodge restaurant -- the BBQ was excellent. Breakfast was fine, too, though a bit slow. The building itself is pleasantly rustic. The staff were helpful, though when we checked in and the desk clerk told us there were wolves he reported their location inaccurately so on our evening outing we didn't go far enough to see them. But even knowing there were wolves nearby is an unusual bonus. We did see pronghorn, and the next day in the Lamar Valley more pronghorn and countless bison, including some too close for comfort hiking up the valley. As with our other accommodations in Yellowstone, these were sold out when we first tried to book; we got the cabin at the last minute after repeatedly calling back -- keep trying.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
the netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Ok, let me start bij saying that i really do prefer to have my own bathroom/toilet, but we did want to stay at the Roosevelt for its location, we wanted to try and spot wolves and this is the property closest by.
Its a nice cabin, only downfall, it got SO cold during the night, something we hadnt anticipated at all! We didnt eat at the restaurant so i cant say anything but that. What we absolutley LOVED about our stay is the fact that when we arrived mamma bear and two cubs were roaming around the cabins. Rangers made sure everyone kept their distance but boy it was so amazing to see them their (was really thrilled i didnt run into them on a nightly visit to the toilet though)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Mesa, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

This is not a five star property by any means, but it is about as "wild west" authentic as one can find. It is a cabin, a rustic cabin, some without bathrooms. Spartan, but clean. My cabin had one bed, a table and chair, a night stand and a wood stove. The interior walls were painted, but not what would be considered "finished." My cabin had two hooks on the wall for hanging clothes.

Most cabins are quite close to one another, and the parking is right outside of the cabin. So, the sounds of the neighbors coming and going are unavoidable. But, you don't have far to carry your luggage!

The bathrooms are a short walk away, and the cleanliness was satisfactory, especially considering that there are a number of people using the facilities.

The wood stove was a challenge. There is one piece of wood which is separate from the others--for a reason. This is the "starter" wood and upon inspection it appears different. It is. Do NOT burn it all at once or lighting a fire later will be impossible. Use perhaps one/fourth of the starter wood to get your fire going and save the remainder for your next fire(s). I found this out the hard way, and if it were not for the good nature of some departing Southerners I would have been miserable the next morning. The wood is replaced daily, but not the starter wood. Although, if you ask someone in housekeeping they will give you another piece of starter wood. And, if you stay in the late fall, you will be cold in the middle of the night! Bring warm clothing to sleep in!

The location is outstanding! Fewer cars, fewer people, more wildlife, and a wonderful lodge with a view. The front porch is the place to be in the evening. The wranglers came by with their guitars and the fun began.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Halifax, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We fell in love with Yellowstone in 2000 on a visit with our daughter Jaime and have never wanted to stay anywhere else. We have stayed in both types of cabin 1 bed no bathroom and 2 bed with bathroom.
The 1 Bed no bath was quaint and small but really nice. The facilities - showers, loo's etc are just a short walk away and were very clean and well maintained. The log burner gave a nice homely feel to the cabin.
The 2 bed cabin is just a good but has a bathroom - saves trips to the bathroom during the night.
Best place to stay if you want: great wildlife, rustic feel and not many tourists. We have done horse riding and the cookout twice - don't miss either The food the Roosevelt lodge is great if a little expensive. Fabulous place to stay if you want to see Yellowstone wildlife!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
n/a
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We were lucky to get on of the rustical cabins during our 4-weeks stay in the US 2012. The location is pretty remote and we hoped to see some wildlife up there. And although we didn't see a bear we saw tons of bisons.
The hotel, or I should say, the cabins, are conviniently located underneath trees. The car can be parked right beside the cabin, which was pretty spacy and clean. It was pretty cold during the night esp. when the small oven stopped working. We strongly recommend to bring really warm clothes with you.
Or cabin unfortunately was not equipped with a bath room (those cabins were sold out) and so we had to use the public showers and restrooms. We have to say that those facilities definitely did not meet our expectations. I thnik they should be cleaned more often.
The restaurant was ok for breakfast. One evening I wanted to have diner with my son, came in just 3-5 minutes after close very hungry after a day of hiking, and people still waiting to be seated, and they refused to offer us a table. This was really a very bad service.

Room Tip: Try to get a cabin with a private bath room.