“Always the best place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Roosevelt Lodge Cabins

You added Roosevelt Lodge Cabins to your Saves list
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
2.0 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   PO Box 165, Tower-Roosevelt Junction, Yellowstone National Park, WY 82190   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Halifax, United Kingdom
“Always the best place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We fell in love with Yellowstone in 2000 on a visit with our daughter Jaime and have never wanted to stay anywhere else. We have stayed in both types of cabin 1 bed no bathroom and 2 bed with bathroom.
The 1 Bed no bath was quaint and small but really nice. The facilities - showers, loo's etc are just a short walk away and were very clean and well maintained. The log burner gave a nice homely feel to the cabin.
The 2 bed cabin is just a good but has a bathroom - saves trips to the bathroom during the night.
Best place to stay if you want: great wildlife, rustic feel and not many tourists. We have done horse riding and the cookout twice - don't miss either The food the Roosevelt lodge is great if a little expensive. Fabulous place to stay if you want to see Yellowstone wildlife!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
n/a
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We were lucky to get on of the rustical cabins during our 4-weeks stay in the US 2012. The location is pretty remote and we hoped to see some wildlife up there. And although we didn't see a bear we saw tons of bisons.
The hotel, or I should say, the cabins, are conviniently located underneath trees. The car can be parked right beside the cabin, which was pretty spacy and clean. It was pretty cold during the night esp. when the small oven stopped working. We strongly recommend to bring really warm clothes with you.
Or cabin unfortunately was not equipped with a bath room (those cabins were sold out) and so we had to use the public showers and restrooms. We have to say that those facilities definitely did not meet our expectations. I thnik they should be cleaned more often.
The restaurant was ok for breakfast. One evening I wanted to have diner with my son, came in just 3-5 minutes after close very hungry after a day of hiking, and people still waiting to be seated, and they refused to offer us a table. This was really a very bad service.

Room Tip: Try to get a cabin with a private bath room.
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

First, we stayed at Roosevelt, at Canyon Village, and the Old Faithful areas during our Yellowstone trip. This was the quietest area of the three and that was a good thing. It had the least "touristy" feel of the three areas. As said by others the lodge was inviting with a with a large porch and rustic lobby. Both encouraged relaxing conversations with other guests.

I agree with almost all the comments I read. It's a great location for accessing the Lamar Valley. The shared shower and bath was always clean when I was there. I don't have anything positive to add in addition to what has already been said.

Don't give too much weight to the negatives that follow. Without them my overall rating would have been "Excellent".

From reading we knew to expect park dining to be mediocre and overpriced. We planned to do some of our own cooking using the park supplied grill, picnic table, (and our own camp stove if open fires were prohibited). Since picnic tables and grills were supplied and we knew there was running water we assumed clean up facilities would be available.

Remember, everywhere you saw "Don't Feed The Bears" signs. You were instructed to keep food in bear-proof containers except when you were eating or cooking. So expecting washing facilities was a reasonable expectation.

As anyone who has cooked knows to clean up efficiently at minimum you need something to use as a counter, a sink, and clean water. All that is provided is a spigot two and a half feet off the ground. Sorry, but I find that unacceptable. Even if I bring my own sink what do I then do with the dirty soapy water?

If I throw it on the ground it becomes a greasy bear attracting nuisance. If I throw it in the stream I am contaminating the stream. The shower house has signs forbidding using it to wash dishes.

If Xanterra only wants guests to eat at their lodge or buy from their general store they should not imply cooking is practical when it is not.

The other issue is the wood burning stove. They work poorly. The instructions are wrong. 1/4th of a starter pellet does not begin to get the regular pellets lit. Luckily my first night is not very cold and the blankets are adequate. I snag several starter pellets the next morning. That night I get it started okay. It burns out and the cold wakes me. I have to load and start it a few times through the night.

In the wee hours I hear wolves or coyotes howling. Very cool!

My brother-in-law over loads his stove and wakes to a sweltering room. He damps the fire and opens his door. He gives up on the stove, adds his sleeping bag to the blankets and gets to sleep a couple hours later.

My wife and I stay in a similar size cabin by Glacier National Park the next week. We are given an electric ceramic heater about 8 inches square. With its temp control knob 1/3rd of a turn from "off" the cabin is steadily comfortable all night.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I loved the cabins at Roosevelt. I must add that I'm a camper, so sharing a bathroom is no big deal for me. Wife, not so much...Our cabin was cozy and quant. The wood-burning stove added a wonderful rustic feel to it. All of us felt like we were back in the early 1900s (which was a good thing). We also thoroughly enjoyed the Roosevelt Lodge. What a building. Teddy Roosevelt is one of my heroes and I really felt his presence here. The fact that the food was some of the best in the park (in my opinion) helped as well, of course. As always with park accommodations, approach as if it's an adventure, and you'll love it! We got the gang of teenagers up early (6 a.m.) the next day to head out into Lamar Valley on a wildllife viewing excursion. Tons of buffalo..which led to a lot of pictures and a lot of laughs. I will look back fondly on our stay at Roosevelt!

philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I wanted a cabin with private bath, but they were already booked (i made our reservations 13 months in advance :) I went with only 1 night because I didn't think I would do well with a shared bath for a longer period of time. I would be happy to stay here again and would share a bath again. The cabin with one double bed is very quaint. It was clean, comfortable, and I really liked to stove. We were situated very close to the bathroom at my request. It was quiet even though we were close. The cabins were closer to the parking lot than I would have liked - not as secluded as one might expect. However, all in all, a great, affordable choice. We had the added treat of spotting a badger next to our cabin. That was a highlight for the entire trip! Great location for Lamar Valley.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I was a bit sceptical about staying in the Roughrider cabins however I was pleasantly surprised. The cabins were clean, stocked with the things you need (clean white towels, some toiletries, clean bed linen, wood stove for the chilly mornings) cosy and quiet. All you need for a comfortable night in Yellowstone!

The staff at Roosevelt Lodge were accommodating when we asked to have a cabin close to the bathroom (which were also clean and okay for a night). Use the Roughrider cabins as base for a dawn visit to the Lamar Valley.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

After always camping in the park this spring and summer, the Roughrider cabin seemed pretty plush to me.

There were lots of fluffy towels, fairly comfortable bed & no noise from outside or from other cabins. The bathroom was clean & easy to access, although a flashlight would be necessary at night.

The lodge personnel are all very helpful and friendly.

The lodge itself is very inviting. There are places inside to sit to read, tables on which folks play games or write, and a small gift shop. The rocking chairs on the front porch are very relaxing.

I have enjoyed several good salads as well as breakfast in the restaurant.

There is a lovely stroll to a waterfalls on a trail behind the lodge where, on a previous visit, I saw a black bear and cub. There is a longer hike from there up to Lost Lake, with its beautiful lilly pads, and a traverse trail over to Petrified Tree.

However, the biggest plus is location, location, location..... gateway to Lamar valley for animal watching, where I've seen wolves, bears, pronghorn, badgers, osprey, eagles, hawks, sandhill cranes and of course, herds of bison over the spread of this season.

Room Tip: The three-bed cabins are the same price as the one-bed rooms
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Roosevelt Lodge Cabins? Share your experiences!