“Great!” 5 of 5 stars

falmouth, maine
71 attraction reviews
“Great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I'm a suburban guy who grew up in New Jersey and don't know horses from a Ford Mustang. I first rode a horse last February at a working (e.g. "dude") ranch in Texas. It was fun, and I actually "steered" the horse a bit for the hour we rode and it was a pretty good experience.
My wife arranged this during our 3 day trip to Yellowstone. We took a half day ride.
It was a different experience. My horse, probably selected for my novice status, named Tiber...pretty much drove himself. Occasionally I had to move him one way or the other. And even when we were about 1000 feet above Golden Gate and several of us nearly passed out from terror, the horse was very steady. In fact, all 8 were. The leaders, Carrie and Shannon, were great, very professional, friendly, and competent. It was a great trip, about 4 h long. It started out very simple, going through a meadow, then slightly uphill for a while. We then went into a forest downhill trail which was pretty muddy, and at that time one horse carrying a little kid actually fell, and the kid went flying. Fortunately he fell "uphill" so it wasn't a long way, and he dusted himself off and literally got back on the horse.
Lunch was included, at which time two horses got into it - the same one that fell - poor kid - and my wife's; as my wife tried to turn her's away the other one reared up and came down with its foreleg through her reins, so they were now locked together. My wife fell off as she was trying to get down.
So we knew that this was a possibility, but i have to tell you, Carrie and Shannon were on top of both of these incidents. I mean, they snapped to it and rode up to control the situation, cool, calm, professional. Once everything was straightened out they changed the order of the horses a bit, and we then climbed up through the HooDoo's, along a VERY steep trail with a pretty good....drop?....to the left. The horses were solid as HumVee's, and everything went off thereafter without a hitch. It cost a couple hundred for the 2 of us, and was a memorable experience. I wouldn't do it again but what i WOULD do is go with these guys on one of their 6 day back country pack trips. That's how competent they were and how much confidence I had in their leadership.

Knoxville, IA
4 attraction reviews
“Best horseback ride EVER.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

I own horses, have ridden for years and this is the best ride I've ever had. Carrie & Shannon showed us fabulous scenery through sagebrush meadows, woods, and the hoodos. The horses were well behaved and lunch was fun because of them. Awesome job by both!!

Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
“great 4 day trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

thanks to Jett, Hannah and Ian for a fantastic trip to our family with 4 children ages 9,9,11,13. We are all novice riders (youngest two beginners). The backcountry camping was outstanding -- everything was well planned -- we felt very safe (despite reading too much about bear attacks ahead of time). The horses had personality, easy to ride, but had good energy to trot and gallop here and there. Ian especially was a great guy-- An ecology major --- knew a lot about the wilderness made great conversation and fun times for the kids---even taught our son to play card games around the campfire. Would definitely do it again. Thanks for making great memories for our family!

Madison, Alabama, United States
“Thorofare Triip - Great Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

My daughter and I recently participated in the six-day Thorofare tour (5-10 August 2013) with the Yellowstone Wilderness Outfitters. The trip was for my daughter’s 25 birthday. I communicated with the owner, Jett Hitt, seven months prior. Jett was very helpful in discussing the different tours and also gear requirements that were covered in the online guide. Jett’s honest and thorough input helped make the pack trip a wonderful experience. As the saying goes, “there are no bad camping trips—only bad camping gear. My advice about gear is do not over pack. The online Guide provides good information. Once you get to the trail head, the guides will ensure that your equipment is not over the weight limit.

Having participated in other trail rides over the last thirty years, I was quite surprised to see the quality horses and pack mules that Jett provided; they were in excellent condition and knew their jobs. I base this comment on having owned horses for the last fifteen years, and I am still an active trail rider.

Jett recommended that we stay at Robin’s Nest B&B in Cody, WY, which we did. We flew into Cody on a Saturday and Robin picked us up at the airport. There were nine total clients on our pack trip, and we all stayed with Robin in one of two B&B homes. Robin and her husband, Bob, dropped us at the rail head on Monday, and picked us up at a different rail head the following Saturday. What a great turn-key operation. I recommend getting to Cody at least two days prior to leaving for the trip. I went from an altitude of about 475 feet to five thousand at Cody. The extra day at Robin’s Nest gave us time to acclimate to the environment and prepare for the trip; it would have been rushed otherwise. I also shipped (UPS) two weeks prior the sleeping bags, mattresses, headlamps, water bottles, and other gear to Robin’s Nest—about 50 pounds. This early mailing worked out well and assured that our gear was available when we got there.

I cannot say enough about Jett’s assistant guide, Hannah, as well as the guide/cook, Ian. Both were top-notch, and it has been awhile since I’ve seen young people with such a dedicated work ethic. Hannah was highly experienced with the horses and mules—while Ian’s ability to set-up, cook, and break camp was impressive. Bottom-line, you will not find an outfitter that will feed you better than Jett Hitt’s crew: brisket, pork chops, rib-eye steaks, and much more. If you or someone in your family has special dietary needs, you need to provide the information early on in the paperwork that Jett provides when you first sign up.

Over the six days, we saw some beautiful country and some of the wildlife: elk, mule deer, two bears (one with an elk kill), yellow marmot, pelicans, an eagle, sandhill cranes and other birds. If you want to get back to nature and away from the cell phone calls and E-mail, this is the vacation for you.

As a vacation trip for my daughter and me, I’m sure that this will be a highlight for both of us. If you aren’t afraid of a few bugs, five-six hours in the saddle, or living in the wilderness for several nights; any of the trips offered by Yellowstone Wilderness Outfitters can be a great bonding experience. We were fortunate to be with some great, fun living people from CA, WI, IL, and New Jersey to VA. My daughter and I are already talking about the Gallatins or Waterfall trip in 2014. If you wish to unwind, make new friends, and witness first-hand the Yellowstone wilderness, this might be the vacation for you.

Minnesota, United States
“A lovely ride!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Carrie and the YWO crew did a great job providing a morning half day trip with a mixed group of riders - some who had never touched a horse or spoke English to those of us who had/have horses of our own. The trip went through some lovely country, the simple ham sandwich lunch with fixings and dessert hit the spot, and the horses were well behaved without being deadheads. My 11 year old daughter waited our whole vacation for this ride, and she was not disappointed - and Carrie did a wonderful job including her and others in discussions and activities.