“Good value and pleasant help” 4 of 5 stars

315-712-0088
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 24 Restaurants in Seneca Falls
Cuisines: Chinese
“Good value and pleasant help”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

Stopped in after visiting Natl Women's Rights Museum. Good portions and selections.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

finger lakes NY
“Good sit-down Chinese Food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

I live near Seneca Falls; Happy Family is my go-to Chinese Restaurant in the area (there are two others in town and more near by). The restaurant is in a sophisticated setting, a conversion of a prior incarnation and is certainly up-scale as typical Chinese Restaurants go. Service is very good, with the apparent owners working in teamwork to insure you are well treated.

The menu (there is a lunch menu, I'm describing the dinner menu, you can ask for the dinner menu at lunch, too) is not extensive, but it covers all the bases. Soups are good, I'll usually opt for Hot & Sour Seafood soup if I'm with a companion, as it is sized for two. Steamed or fried dumplings are good (I get fried) and the appetizer menu includes the Chinese standbys.

The main course selections are grouped by protein (i.e. chicken, pork, beef, seafood, etc); the listing is extensive. The back two pages are more extensive, most recently I've been ordering the Boneless Roast Duckling if I am with someone. It is not too fatty, very tasty and in a delicously smoky sauce. I'll usually compose a menu around one focus dish, this is easily done at Happy Family.

The servers will advise on menu choices and take special requests too.

All in all, an excellent restaurant with good food and good service.

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Finger Lakes, NY
“Unusually good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

Since I live here, I've eaten in Happy Family numerous times both in connection with entertaining work visitors and also personal eating out.

As has been noted in another review, they inhertited the decor from the previous high end restaurant. As such the ambience is well above average for a restaurant in this price range.

The food also exceeds expectations. They have an extensive menu with plenty of choices (including a decent vegetarian selection). There is also a section of the menu offering "authentic" Chinese food i.e. less Americanized. According to my Chinese colleagues the claim is 95% true.

I've always found the waitstaff friendly and responsive. Oh and they do an excellent takeout service. What's not to love ?

• Visited December 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Seneca Falls, New York
“Nice Sit Down Chinese Restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

The restaurant use to be a very high end Italian Restaurant. They bought it completely furnished. The same silverware and some of the dishes are still being used, giving your normal Chinese eating experience a little lift. The food is typical and done well. The authentic menu is very good. If you don't want take out, try it.

• Visited December 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Brooklyn, New York
“Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

We actually went here while staying in Seneca Falls. There aren't too many options to choose from on Fall Street and we were wavering between two places. Finally we chose this one and I'm glad we did.

The decor is quite lovely and the restaurant is pretty inviting, albeit a little dark during the day. We ordered two different lunch specials. The food was absolutely delicious! There are so many amazing restaurants where I live and to just randomly walk into such a great restaurant when you're wandering around is a great experience.

I had the beef in garlic sauce which was so tasty and frankly, I could not get over how good it was. Unlike most Chinese places with lunch specials, they put so much beef in the meal. My husband had a vegetarian dish that he also thought was really good. I think the only downfall for him was that we are used to having so many vegetarian options at home and at this restaurant there weren't too many options. The soups were also quite good.

Service was prompt and courteous. I may never return to Seneca Falls but if I ever do, I would definitely eat here again.

• Visited October 2011