“not good” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Alexandria, Virginia
“not good”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Food did was not authentic. The service was not friendly. I would not go there again. The location is a good location however.

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Arlington, VA
“Best Lamb and Chicken Kabobs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

Have been coming to Rose for many years. Hands down the best lamb and boneless chicken kabobs in the DC area. Portions are large - two can split one of the combos.

That's pretty much all you need to know. There are many other good items on the menu (Eggplant dip and the Yogurt with cucumber goes well with the rice) but I have had similar quality at other places.

They are usually short on wait staff... If you come in the middle of the dinner rush, expect slow service. Also, they do not serve alcohol.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Excellent Persian food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Plenty of parking out back. Menu has stayed the same for many years, though with new ownership, prices have risen, but still moderately priced. Most succulent lamb or chicken kabobs you'd find anywhere. One or two wait staff can slow service, which is the only reason that I awarded four instead of five dots. If you are not familiar with Persian food, ask for the zamaresh pallow instead of the regular rice. I think they charge a bit more now for that upgrade, but it is a rich saffron rice with currants, sometimes called jeweled rice.

Visited September 2012
Alexandria
“I wish we only lived closer.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We make it a point to go here at least once a month. Not more than that because we would end up bigger than houses. We absolutely love the zareshk pollo with chicken kabob. my other favorite is the gheymeh badamjon. You also cannot leave until you have had the kashk-o-badamjoon as your appitizer. Love love love this resturant.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Fairfax, Virginia
“Kheyli Bad!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

I have been going to Rose for years, and it used to be the best Persian restaurant in town. They used to have the best kabobs and authentic Iranian soups and stews ( Khoreshes). It used to be a great place for locals and fans of Persian delights to go and enjoy an un-expensive meal.

Some months ago a group of friends and I decided to go get something to eat, so we went to Rose. They brought us kabobs with rice, and the rice looked ok, but it had a strong burnt taste. We called the waitress, who was a new waitress, and explained to her that there was a problem with the rice. We asked her to replace the rice. She did. The new rice had the SAME burnt flavor as the one we sent back. We did not eat the rice. We left it and just paid for it.

Last month I decided to give Rose another chance. This last time I went to Rose the food was so bad, that I am not going back there ever again!

We had the Fasanjoon, which is a stew (khoresh) with walnuts and pomegranate. The stew did not taste freshly made, and the chicken was tough and tasteless. It was almost inedible. Then we ordered the “Tandoori Chicken Kabob”. We thought it was interesting that they were offering an Indian type of food at an Iranian restaurant, but since we know how delicious the (real) tandoori chicken is, we decided to give it a try. Obviously we did not expect them to cook it in a real tandoori oven, but at least we expected it to have the tandoori spices. What a hoax! If I were Indian, I would have been so offended! They gave us some chicken kabob bathed in a green Jalapeno sauce!!!!! It was terrible. Why would they even dare to call such a concoction tandoori? Who knows!

Bottom line: As of 2012, I do not recommend Rose at all! Don’t waste your time or money. The food is not fresh, not good, and not original. The customer service is also lacking. Not worth it at all.
*******