“Excellent Persian food” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Excellent Persian food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Plenty of parking out back. Menu has stayed the same for many years, though with new ownership, prices have risen, but still moderately priced. Most succulent lamb or chicken kabobs you'd find anywhere. One or two wait staff can slow service, which is the only reason that I awarded four instead of five dots. If you are not familiar with Persian food, ask for the zamaresh pallow instead of the regular rice. I think they charge a bit more now for that upgrade, but it is a rich saffron rice with currants, sometimes called jeweled rice.

Visited September 2012

Alexandria
“I wish we only lived closer.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We make it a point to go here at least once a month. Not more than that because we would end up bigger than houses. We absolutely love the zareshk pollo with chicken kabob. my other favorite is the gheymeh badamjon. You also cannot leave until you have had the kashk-o-badamjoon as your appitizer. Love love love this resturant.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Kheyli Bad!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

I have been going to Rose for years, and it used to be the best Persian restaurant in town. They used to have the best kabobs and authentic Iranian soups and stews ( Khoreshes). It used to be a great place for locals and fans of Persian delights to go and enjoy an un-expensive meal.

Some months ago a group of friends and I decided to go get something to eat, so we went to Rose. They brought us kabobs with rice, and the rice looked ok, but it had a strong burnt taste. We called the waitress, who was a new waitress, and explained to her that there was a problem with the rice. We asked her to replace the rice. She did. The new rice had the SAME burnt flavor as the one we sent back. We did not eat the rice. We left it and just paid for it.

Last month I decided to give Rose another chance. This last time I went to Rose the food was so bad, that I am not going back there ever again!

We had the Fasanjoon, which is a stew (khoresh) with walnuts and pomegranate. The stew did not taste freshly made, and the chicken was tough and tasteless. It was almost inedible. Then we ordered the “Tandoori Chicken Kabob”. We thought it was interesting that they were offering an Indian type of food at an Iranian restaurant, but since we know how delicious the (real) tandoori chicken is, we decided to give it a try. Obviously we did not expect them to cook it in a real tandoori oven, but at least we expected it to have the tandoori spices. What a hoax! If I were Indian, I would have been so offended! They gave us some chicken kabob bathed in a green Jalapeno sauce!!!!! It was terrible. Why would they even dare to call such a concoction tandoori? Who knows!

Bottom line: As of 2012, I do not recommend Rose at all! Don’t waste your time or money. The food is not fresh, not good, and not original. The customer service is also lacking. Not worth it at all.
*******

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, IL
“Delicious food, great place for carry out.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

We ordered food for carry out for 9 people, and the restaurant offered to package it "family style" which worked out so well, instead of having individual dinners. We had a big tray of rice and all the kabobs were together and there was a big tray of salad and a big bag of pitas. We had six kids and 3 adults and everyone found something that they enjoyed. The hummus was tasty and the chicken kabobs were seriously delicious. I LOVED the saffron rice.

I will definitely return in the future.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Virginia
“Fabulous kabobs!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

We adore Rose and eat there (or from there) very often. The food is consistently delicious. I could give details but really, it's just solid food so go and eat it. You can do take put of eat in. It's cute but not big inside.

Visited June 2012