“Local favorite” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Vienna, Virginia
“Local favorite”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Family favorite since we moved here in 2004. Great Asian fusion cuisine. Helpful and efficient wait staff. It's the place my daughter picks for her "special occasion" when she has a craving for the sushi and sashimi from growing up in Hawaii. We love their specialty rolls, especially the spicy crunchy lobster roll (yes, we know that it's not authentic but we love it). We've sampled most of their menu and have yet to be disappointed. Reserve a table for either Friday or Saturday night if you don't want to wait.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Sydney, Australia
“Would fly half way around the world for the Wasabi cream rolls - Do they deliver?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We lived in Vienna for about 4 years and in that time this would have to be my favourite restaurant given that the Washington area has a lot of great cusine on offer. Even when I returned recently to catch up with friends this is where we chose to meet up. Now back in Australia I have not had a Japan-asian experience which compares. The food is outstanding, fresh, vibrant and delicous. The atmosphere delighfully warm, service attentive and price very reasonable for the size servings. The Wasabi Cream rolls are superb, tempura crispy prawn, outside rolled rice, layered with avocado slithers, dressed with a wasabi cream and pearl roe. Mouthwatering. Experience this and you will find yourself wanting...

• Visited January 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Pan-Asian menu and superb cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We have been dining at Sweet Ginger for many years--I forget how many. It is, by far, our favorite restaurant. The owners are a Thai and a Japanese couple, so the menu reflects a long list of pan-Asian cooked-to-order dishes. The restaurant is not large, so reservations are in order. My wife usually goes for the mixed sushi platter, and I usually prefer one of the roast duck dishes. But, sometimes I get the "Saigon-Saigon" soup, a rich broth with Vietnamese meat balls, pot roast strips and vegetables. Plus a roast duck wrap or cocoanut shrimp hors d'oeuvre. We usually have Thai iced coffee for dessert: that's espresso and sweetened condensed milk over ice. But, there are other things that will beckon you as well, like delicious deep-fried baby octopus.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Fairfax, Virginia, United States
“One of our favorites!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Pan Asian restaurant in a strip mall. Excellent service, very attentive. This spot gets crowded, even on weeknights occasionally, so recommend making a reservation. We love their sushi combinations, usually get Sushi Mori B which is a generous serving, including several individual pieces, Calif. roll, salad and soup. Also ALWAYS get a wasabi cream roll, which has shrimp tempura wrapped with rice, nori and salmon, with a yummy wasabi cream sauce (zingy but not overpowering). Nice selection of beer and wine, plus bar service. After you've visited a couple of times, the maitre d will remember and welcome you.

Visited September 2012
Maryland
“Worth the drive.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I live at least an hour away from this restaurant and was taking my daughter Dulles Airport. On the way we met her friends, one of whom recommended this place. It is amazing! I ordered two appetizers and one would have been enough. The portions are huge and the prices are reasonable. It was so good I took a friend of mine at the next opportunity. The only thing not amazing was the mixed drink - weak - even after adding a shot. However, anytime I want sushi - this is where I will go - hour drive and all.

• Visited October 2012