“Craveable!” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Fairfax, Virginia
“Craveable!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

Sweet Ginger is a fantastic neighborhood restaurant, with great food! My husband and I tend to go early (like at 5:30pm when it opens!), otherwise there tends to be a wait...probably a good sign of how tasty this place is! They do take reservations, so if you don't want to wait or go early, plan ahead!
The staff is very friendly and attentive, which in my mind makes the dining experience so much more enjoyable.
I usually get the Bento Box 3...shrimp and veggie tempura, 6 nigri sushi, 3 california rolls, three dumplings, and rice. It's SO tasty, which is why I can't seem to try anything else now that I've found it! My husband gets the Sweet Ginger Pasta, which I've gotten in the past as well, and it's quite a treat! The sushi is fresh, the fish is so tender, the tempura is crispy not soggy!
Sweet Giner is a great dining choice and a favorite of ours from now on!

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Vienna, Virginia
“Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

My first trip to Sweet Ginger in 2008.As soon as I walked in, I knew this was going to be a place we would come back to again and again. The delicious smell of tempura, sushi, and dumplings made me even more hungry. Even better, though, was the atmosphere- a small, intimate venue with Japan-inspired decorations like gold tables with Japanese characters and red and orange walls. The soft lighting added effect to the dramatic space. We had a fantastic time that night! But even more amazing, I never could have imagined that we would still be regular customers (almost weekly) five years later.
Sweet Ginger, a Japanese- Asian fusion restaurant, is located in the heart of Vienna, VA. It has a upscale but relaxed atmosphere with Asian/ samari- inspired decor and a small bar area. The service is friendly and fast. The menu offers enticing meals for a good value. The restaurant is family-owned.
What makes a restaurant experience even better is the venue. Sweet Ginger’s very clean, intimate, relatively quiet, and well decorated atmosphere provides a relaxed but sophisticated place . The Japanese theme is showed with wood block printings of samaris and oriental black-and-white scenes embellishing the walls along with bamboo and, of course, the bar. The bar is my favorite part of the restaurant because it allows customers to see the sushi chefs make the fresh sushi,
My family visits Sweet Ginger very often. My favorite dish is one of the restaurant’s most popular menu items, the Box 1, which offers more than enough delicious food for me and my sister to share, and has a great value. It comes with appetizers of salad with peanut dressing and miso soup and, included in the box, is rice, your choice of steak or chicken, fresh California rolls, chicken dumplings, and shrimp and vegetable tempura. The entire box is only $14 and each morsel is cooked perfectly- my favorite being the flavorful, tender, and savory shrimp tempura.
My father’s favorite dish is the sashimi. To taste decent raw, the fish must be very fresh, and he agrees that it definitely is.
Other things I have ordered during various visits are the chicken satay appetizer and the edamame appetizer. The chicken satay is chicken on kabob sticks with a heavenly and addicting peanut sauce for dipping. The edamame, or soy beans, is surprisingly good for vegetables. They are even fun to eat, too, because you can pop them out of the pods.
Another component that can truly make a restaurant visit either awful or amazing is the service. At Sweet Ginger, this is definitely not a problem. The owner seems very passionate about his business and always makes sure we don’t have to wait if we have made a reservation (and he keeps candy at the host stand!).
A partial- downside of the restaurant is the fact that the food comes so quickly. For our family who is always hungry, this is great because our appetizers come within three minutes of our arrival and our meal within nine. But, if a party dines there who is more partial to leisurely meals, the food might come too fast. Also, the restaurant is a bit small and therefore somewhat noisy.After a scrumptious meal, the only thing that can make it better is a tempting dessert. Sweet Ginger’s sweet choices include Asian- inspired ice cream flavors like red bean, green tea, mango, and ginger, triple chocolate mousse cake, fruit sorbets, and, my favorite, the banana tempura sundae. It comes with your choice of two ice cream scoops, whipped cream, and a banana fried in sweet, flaky tempura batter. The warm tempura and cold, creamy and unique ice cream come together amazingly- like eating pie with ice cream, except better. The fruit sorbet comes in the choice fruit’ shell, in flavors of orange, pineapple, and lemon, and tastes great.
Sweet Ginger meets all my restaurant criteria- friendly service, local ownership, food that comes quickly, great decor, and delectable eats. I’ve gone there again and again.

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Good Sushi - get the Crazy Roll”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

I go to lunch here about once a month, coming from Reston that's about as much as I want to make the drive. Love the sushi here, normally get the box lunch and we split the crazy roll, which has Tuna and jalepenos. Good stuff.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“OUTstanding Asian gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012 via mobile

Just had the perfect Pad Thai. Hubby had Red Curry noodles. Shared the best calamari ever. Simply wonderful.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Good price. Ok sushi.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012 via mobile

I went there with 2 friends. We needed reservations on a saturday. We had fried potsticks for an appetizer. They were pretty good. I got the bento box with the 3 sushi rolls. It also came with dumplings, soup and salad. I was not that impressed with the sushi. It was barely average. I had a mango sake cocktail. It was pretty good. Overall i would say good price, nice atmosphere, average food.

• 3 of 5 stars Food