“Neighborhood vibe and one of our favorites” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #24 of 123 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Fresh Mexican Food in a family-friendly atmosphere made special for you.
Vienna, Virginia
“Neighborhood vibe and one of our favorites”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We go here frequently. The place is clean, the food is good, the service is attentive, and the prices are completely reasonable. The servers always make you feel welcome. They're always willing to explain something we don't understand. The outside of the place looks kind of "corporate," but on the inside you'll find Vienna neighborhoods represented all around. From the residents to the office workers, this is a "home town" place. I'm surprised by the couple of poor reviews--we've been coming here for years and our food has *never* been cold. Or slow. Or bad. The chips are always warm, and the red salsa is our favorite. (In fact, we've started ordering an extra 12 oz carryout of salsa to take home with us.)

The portions are large, the enchiladas and refried beans are nicely done. The chile rellenos are the best in the area. And the molcajete is amazing. Although we have some go-to favorites, we frequently try something new and we've never been disappointed. (And I know I'm dwelling on this, but we've never *once* had bad food come out of this kitchen. And honestly, I can't say the same for *several* other Mexican restaurants in the area--where we *have* gotten bad food.)

Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't put Tequila Grande in the same class with the best Mexican places in, say, San Antonio (that's a whole different food group). But in the Northern Virginia area, and certainly in Vienna, Tequila Grande is clearly the best around. The fact that it's a family-owned place, and not part of a chain, or a chain wannabe, is an extra plus in my book.

Yup, we'll be back.

Hope this helps!

Virginia
“Family owned Mexican Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

It's been awhile since we've been to Tequila Grande. Recently we had an opportunity to eat there and were not disappointed. The ambience is pleasant, the food delicious, the portions would satisfy even the hungriest customer, and the service efficient without the server hovering over us. Even though it is a bit of a drive, we decided the next time we wanted Mexican food, we'd head for Tequila Grande.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“Good Mexican”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We were looking for some Mexican Food on our trip and found Tequila Grande. The food was very good with large portions. The service was a little slow, but we sat down about 6pm and the place was packed. The atmosphere inside and out was like a Mexican cantina. Prices were reasonable.

• Visited May 2013
Annandale, Virginia
“Steak and Cheese Burrito on Specials menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

My son was just finished with a baseball tryout and we were looking for something decent (not fast food) to eat in Vienna. We hadn't had Mexican in a while so I programmed the GPS and it led us to Tequila Grande. I had my tablet so I looked on TripAdvisor and the reviews were mixed, some bad some good. Ordinarily, I would have passed on it but it was late (approx 8:30) on weekday so the chances of finding another restaurant was slim.

When we came in, there were only 4 tables that had patrons so not busy at all. We were seated immediately and were asked for our drink order. I hate being seated and then having to wait for my drink order so I was happy. I ordered a 20oz beer and the mug was cold. The waiter served us corn chips and salsa. I would say the chips were average at best and the salsa was pedestrian.

The menu was what you would expect but after conferring with the waiter, he suggested the grilled steak and cheese burrito that was on the specials menu. We both ordered the special and although I can't say it was the best burrito I have ever had (I have been to Mexico and Texas) it was very good and much better than I had expected.

This leads me to question the bad reviews. Sometimes the restaurant staff can't handle the crowds on a weekend and both the service and meal quality suffers. Based on my experience, this restaurant was very good and I will return.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Katy, Texas, United States
“If you are from Texas, don't go”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

This was disappointing. The chips were cold and stale. The salsa(red, only) was fresh but tastless. The quesadias were decent but not attractive. The frozen margaritas were standard but the service was so slow they were melted. Don't waste your time.

Visited July 2013