“Bona Serra” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Ristorante Bonaroti is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 122 restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: East Street
Vienna, Virginia
“Bona Serra”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We've been going to and taking guests to Bonaroti for years and enjoy both the food and ambiance. Sergio (owner) runs a tight ship and the Italian menu is quite extensive -- you can always find something you will like.

Visited July 2013

69% Recommend
Houston, Texas
“A family favorite”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

My in-laws love this restaurant and we use it nearly every trip as a central restaurant for everyone to gather. They never disappoint, except for the occassional one meal that arrives much later than the others. The decor is a little dated, but the wait staff are professional and aim to deliver a quality experience.

We shall continue coming back year after year - they are consistent!

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Manassas, Virginia
“Not bad, but left with disappointment.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I've been thinking about how I would want to review this place, and for the past few hours, I've been wanting to give these guys the benefit of the doubt. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be honest if I was to say my evening was spectacular here. This was meant to be a birthday dinner for my girlfriend, but felt like an insult from the restaurant.

I'll start off with the good:

FOOD: The appetizer was good. It was a simple plate with 2 salami slices, 2 slices of mortadella, 2 slices of proscuitto, and 4 chunks of cheese. It was $12... and wasn't necessarily worth it, but it still tasted good. The bread was as expected and pretty tasty with the tapenades that were provided. The cannoli for dessert was perfect. I highly recommend the cannoli.

[Some of the] SERVICE: There was always a member of the staff refilling our glasses with water, which I greatly appreciated. When our waiter was absent from our table for a full 30 minutes, another waiter stepped in and said he would get us dessert. Whoever he was, was the ONLY member of the service team that I greatly appreciated. He is what made writing this review difficult, because he was close to the redeeming factor of the night.

CONS

FOOD: I had chicken with mushrooms. The chicken was on the dry side, and while the rest of the dish wasn't bad, it did not feel like it was worth $23. My girlfriend ordered scallops with risotto (Capesante Bonaroti). The scallops were mostly consistent, but there was a sharp and sour lemon flavor that overpowered the dish, and the risotto was almost completely overcooked. Again, it wasn't bad per se, but it didn't taste like it was worth $23, not even close. The wait time was about 50 minutes for the food, with an additional 30 minutes of us waiting for our check after we finished eating.

[The rest of the] SERVICE: Our waiter was alright, but we maybe saw him three times during our two hour stay. When we did see him, he gave us olive oil for the bread... after we finished our bread basket. Lastly, what left me the most disappointed the whole evening, was what he left on the check. He wrote in a $13 tip, wrote the total, and then told me to sign it. What? What gives you the right to write in your own tip? Let's just say that there was no $13 tip in store for him afterwards.

MANAGEMENT: When I made my reservation, I CLEARLY stated that it was my girlfriend's birthday, and that I would pay for a dessert or that I would appreciate a happy birthday sentiment. I saw three people this evening receive a cheesecake with a candle in it, and 4 servers sang happy birthday to them. What did my girlfriend receive? Nothing. Even after it was brought to their attention, she still received nothing.

I am sorry, but I just cannot recommend this place to someone in good conscience.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
washington dc
“Great Italian food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Very fancy, great service, very romantic. It is not cheap but it worth it. Hard to make Italian food unique, but they can pull it off!

Visited December 2012
“Service is smug. Food is good.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

The past few times we've been here, the servers treated us as if we should be grateful to be there. It was shocking to us, considering how we used to love this place for its attentive but unobtrusive service.

There are so many great Italian restaurants that have come up over the years, you'd think this place would step it up, redecorate and up the ante with the quality of food. The decor is the same as it has been for 20 years, and looks like grandma's house instead of a posh Italian bistro. it's dark with dated wallpaper and very heavy drapes. OLD.

You'd think with the competition that they'd step up the quality of the food. It's good, but its not great and not something that we can't get within 10 miles in any direction. Had the Risotto Frutti De Mare Alla Vito the most recent visit and it was too salty, too spicy and too scanty on the seafood. We also had the Vitello Al Limone which was very good.

I like the food here but with competition for my dining dollars in the area increasing every year, I think of going here less often than I did 10 years ago. it is going to have to work hard to keep up with the competition especially as all the new places move in due to the silver line of the metro opening soon.

• Visited April 2013