“Growing pains” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Reston, Virginia
“Growing pains”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

Saturday night 700 arrival is a 45 min. Wait. Pasta is homemade and delicious stay away from specials the kitchen has mastered them. Mussels are great and calamari has a nice accompaniment if zucchini. Nice bar area and well priced wines. Bottom line a 6:30 or 8:00 arrival will be a better experience since there are no reservations .

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Reston, Virginia
“A really good Italian restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

My wife and I have eaten here twice in the last week. On both occasions, the food was really authentic Italian - it was like being in Campania. The service and wine advice was wonderful. The staff is really friendly and knowledgeable. We will be going back at least once a week, including for what are likely to be great wine dinners.

oakton
“it beats cooking at home, otherwise....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Arriving we were greeted and seated quite promptly not very crowded however very loud as the tables are tight. After ordering a salad the waiter kindly asked if id like to share with my husband
I said that would be great if he felt it was enough for two. The "lettuce" arrived
on two plates fairly promptly with parmesan shavings on top and only half a cherry tomato on one.My husband only received a plate of greens. Hysterical...For nine dollars maybe a full cherry tomato on each??The ravioli was very good but there was more sauce than raviolis.The veal was very good . However, the "value" was just not there. The small portions you would expect at
a gourmet French restaurant. Not Italian. aside from that the wait staff was friendly and attentive.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC
“Real (actually real) Italian cooking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

So I tend to review Italian restaurants against the Gold Standard -- my mother, who is a primo, from scratch cook. I've always said that if a restaurant can make gnocchi that stands up to hers, it was worth the trip. Pazzo Pomodoro delivered gnocchi delivered in a rustic earthenware bowl that actually nudges my mom's to 2nd place! Sorry mom! My friend let me have a sample. I hadI the agnolotti (small pillows of dough stuffed with spinach in a creamy mascarpone sauce. For dessert, my friend and I shared Baci de Sophia Loren, six little chocolate cups filled with zabaglione and topped with fresh raspberries. Each was like a little holiday celebration. We resisted scrapping up ALL the chocolate that decorated the plate but did manage to swirl those little cups around to get most of it! Décor here is warm and inviting with cloth red and white table covers, exposed brick, wine on display, and most intriguing a wall of black and white photos of people who may or may not be relatives of the owner but were certainly interesting to look at. Very good food and service. First time here. I will return!

Southeasten Virginia
“Exceptional”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We read where Pazzo Pomodoro was voted as the #1 New Restaurant by Washingtonian Magazine readers for 2013, so we decided to give it a try for lunch yesterday when we were in the area. Oh, my! This tiny gem is located in the Glyndon Avenue Shopping Center near the Fresh Market just off of Maple Avenue. I believe that good pasta is one of the staples of any good Italian restaurant. This place hit the mark. I enjoyed their gnocchi with a spicy, garlicy tomato/fresh mozzarella sauce. The gnocchi was served in a shallow pottery bowl which kept them nice and hot for the entire meal. My husband had one of their specialty pizzas: sausage with greens. It was prepared impeccably. I tasted a bite and it was truly out of this world. From what I have heard, the place is mobbed at night, so if you want to give this new Vienna restaurant a try, do so at lunchtime when the crowds are more manageable. My next trip I plan to have the risotto. My husband wants to give their pasta a try. Their salads are huge and very fresh. We shared one and there was still plenty leftover. Each meal is accompanied by delicious crusty Italian bread served with olive oil. Service was attentive and our meal was prepared in a timely fashion. Everything is cooked to order.