“Lived up to expectations of excellence, but a bit costly for brunch” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Maple Ave Restaurant

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Virginia
“Lived up to expectations of excellence, but a bit costly for brunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

First, this is a small restaurant on a busy street. Parking is a bit of a challenge, but there are spaces behind the restaurant. We had reservations for an early Saturday afternoon which meant we would be ordering from the brunch menu. The restaurant was full when we arrived, and then it did empty out at the end of our stay. There were small children dining in, and fortunately with the acoustics, they were well behaved. The three women I was with had eaten here before, and they always had great things to say about the place. We ordered poinsettia drinks (not bottomless since it was early) and mimosas, the panko chicken sandwich, truffled eggs and the veggie omelette. For the most part, it was all prepared, cooked and presented nicely. I wish there was a substitute for the potatoes or another side that could replace them. The cost of an omelette, potatoes and small salad is $14 which I think is a bit pricey, but I also realize things are fresh and wholesome in this restaurant.
One thing to mention is our waiter was very good, but he neglected to tell us that the okra was unavailable and this is what one at our table specifically wanted and thought about prior to her visit. So that was a let down. One, for it not be available, but also that the waiter didn't tell us at the start. Just a mishap, but it then took a few more minutes to decide on our order, and a few more minutes for the waiter to return. I will definitely recommend this restaurant, and I want to continue dining here to try things other than breakfast foods.

84% Recommend
Vienna, Virginia
“Artistic and different”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Very exciting and high quality dishes in a very small space. Each dish is local and is the creation of the chef – not just another restaurant with the same dishes as everyone else. Very fresh and creative. A bit cramped and sparse in the dining area. Our lunch came to over $60, so this is not an inexpensive lunch.

• Visited May 2012
Mc Lean
“Tiny Restaurant with Adventurous Menu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Since my first visit to this restaurant last summer, I've tried to get a reservation on the fly and have been unsuccessful, much to my sorrow. However, there is now a remedy - Maple Ave has opened up a 'bistro' of sorts in the back of the restaurant - same menu, but no reservations - first come, first served. And you thought the front of the restaurant was bare bones! But we don't go there for the atmosphere - its the interesting and always delicious menu that draws the crowds. We had mussels that were plump, juicy and delicious, mac and cheese that tasted like mother used to make and the most beautiful beet salad - a delight to the eyes and palate. We shared a bread pudding dessert and french press coffee. This meal was a winner from beginning to end. Can't wait to go back.

Fairfax, Virginia
“Five Star Food - In Sparse Surroundings”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

My husband and I dined the Friday after the New Year. The excellent food preparation and creative menu (although limited) excited and danced on our palates. My husband ordered a dish of beef prepared much like an Osso Bucco. I enjoyed the scallops on risotto. We shared a dessert that seemed to be a type of sherbert that was delightful and creative. If having dinner it is better to sit on the left side of the restaurant as the lights glaring in the window from Magruder's grocery store can be blinding on the right side. I would recommend that the owners consider some type of creative covering that would greatly soften the atmosphere.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Washington DC
“Good, but not as great as I thought it would be”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I had high expectations for this restaurant mostly because of the reviews I read here and because its on multiple "best restaurant" lists in the NoVA/DC area.

The service is great and the dishes are imaginative and are presented well. The atmosphere of the restaurant itself is very bare bones--nothing fancy here. I took my mother here for her birthday and her first reaction was "that looks like a hole in the wall." I'm not huge on ambiance, but if you're looking for a place with atmosphere this is not it.

I've eaten here twice and have tried three separate main dishes (beef cheek, Moroccan chicken, and a chicken and wasabi sandwich off the brunch menu) . The chef really likes herbs to the point where I'd say the dishes were over-herbed. All three tasted like they had been dunked in fennel. Also the meat wasn't that great--very fatty. On the flip side their chocolate dumplings are literally to die for. I could eat those every day until I die.

• Visited December 2012