“Great Chirashi !” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Falls Church, Virginia
“Great Chirashi !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I was looking at a review of another Japanese restaurant near by and the reviewer mentioned Sushi Yoshi as his regular Japanese place. This got me curious so I started looking at the Sushi Yoshi on Yelp and then their official website. The photos of all their sushi look so good! And then this bit on the "About Us" page got me even more intrigued:

"Chef Yasu was trained in classic French cuisine and worked at Le Gavroche, a Michelin 3 star restaurant in London, for many years. He left Le Gavroche to accept the position of chef at the British Embassy in Washington, D.C., where he worked for more than 10 years. Chef Yasu now works with Chef Yoshi at the sushi bar, but sometimes he can't resist the urge to get in the kitchen and create some of his favorite French and European dishes."

I decided I must try this place .... even if it meant cheating on our regular Japanese place, Tachibana. Sorry T! A girl's gotta have a little variety -- it's the spice of life! The space is rather small but we managed to get a couple of tables for a late Saturday lunch. Our party was 7 so we had to be split up. It was fine. All the main dishes come with a miso soup and salad. Loved the dressing! I shared a Sushi platter for 2 with my cousin and ordered the eel on rice for my daughter. Everything was great! The sushi was so yummy! There were 30 pieces of sushi and we could not finish it. Really wanted to try the dessert but just couldn't eat another bite. Will have to come back for the dessert next time.

So glad to find another Japanese place that's decent around here. (Closed on Mondays Lunch)

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

89% Recommend
Charlottesville, Virginia
“An authentic Japanese gem in a small package”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Very limited seating, and small tables close together. Reservations definitely in order. While many sushi houses in Northern Virginia are run by Koreans, this one is authentic Japanese, and the dishes are a departure from what you might expect in the standard sushi house. Portions are small, and prices are moderate to high compared to Korean operated sushi places. But, everything is quite delicious, and you should try this place at least once. Remember to make reservations!

Visited June 2012
Cotopaxi, Colorado
“Parents choice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We ate here because my parents picked this place for their anniversary. Hint one: Make reservations. The place is small and crowded, even by East Coast standards. That is why I gave the atmosphere only 3 dots. However, there were at least six servers for the dozen or so tables so there were no delays and water was constantly refilled. So five dots.

Food was excellent. We had the vegetable tempura, udon, salmon teriyaki and the sukiyaki. We didn't try the sushi so we can't comment. We had the gyoza as an appetizer and it too was good. I don't think that you could go wrong, so five dots. I don't think it is a good place for kids because there are no kid specific diversions although the couple that were there didn't seem to mind. So, five dots over all. Extra points if you spot the maneki neko.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Austin, Texas
“GREAT SUSHI!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Okay - I'm sold. Awesome happy hour prices (though note, they apparently have an older version of their menu on their website, prices slightly higher, but still good deal!), nice small sushi place atmosphere. Great sushi. I'm very happy to find a place that I will go back to time and time again.

Visited October 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Best Sushi and Izakaya in DC area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Had another excellent dinner here late Sept 2012. We know all the sushi places in DC and some of the best in NYC, San Fran, etc. Yoshi currently beats everything in DC (incl. Blue Ocean, Kaz, Sushi Ko, Kushi, etc). Our sashimi platter was full of first rate, freshest fish -- and it was a steal at 18.95. Apps of monfish liver and lotus root salad were light and sophisticated. Service was friendly and efficient, though too fast. We had no reservation at 5pm on Sat, and we were told we had to be out by 6pm. But the place was nowhere near full by 6. We will return again and again, but will make reservations!

• Visited September 2012