“One of the best around DC” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Reservations
The Villages, Florida
“One of the best around DC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

The owner used to be head sushi chef at Chopsticks in Georgetown, DC. I liked his selection then and now. As usual busy as ever. Stayed at the counter a la carte. Best Nigiri was sea urchin, very fresh. Hamachi(sea bass) was excellent. Ikura(salmon roe) was bit salty. Chu Toro(fatty tuna) was not as fatty as I imagined. Octupas small legs were good. Of course, this critique is in comparison to other sushi places around here. In U.S, if you want to have great sushi, you need to go to NYC, Frisco or LA. You'll also pay much more.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

89% Recommend
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Wonderful food, price and staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

I went to Yoshi Sushi In Vienna, Virginia with my husband and 20 month old daughter at 1230 on a Sunday lunch time.

It is a small restaurant but that wasn't a problem with an infant, the staff made us very welcome and comfortable.

The menu is extensive, the quality of food is very high and the price was extremely reasonable. I asked if they add MSG to the food and was told they don't.

The waitress was very helpful. Initially we ordered too much food and she suggested that we should order less and she was absolutely right. Because the price is so good we thought the portions would be small. This is not the case.

I have never seen my daughter eat so much in a restaurant. She loved the salmon teriyaki, the egg tamago and the soba noodles.

We will definitely be going back to eat here.

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Francisco, California
“Splendid Mango Sushi!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

I'm usually a big fan of Yama, but in an effort to try the rest of what Vienna has to offer we tried Sushi Yoshi. For starters, if you come here during busy hours or have more people in your group MAKE RESERVATIONS. It's a very small space, and even getting around can be a bit of a squeeze. The waitresses (probably in an effort to get people out faster) were a little TOO attentive, but the food was very good. A tad more expensive than other places in the neighborhood but the sushi a la carte menu was stocked full of creative (and delicious!) rolls. The fried Tim Tim roll was what I classify as "guilty pleasure" sushi but was fantastic and the rolls incorporating mango were surprisingly light and tasty. The rolls could have been constructed a bit better, but it's not how it gets there as much as how it tastes when it does, right?

• Visited January 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Oakton, Va
“Very Disappointing -- Very Inconsistent -- Some Good -- Some Very Bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

We are loyal fans of Yama Sushi about 3/4 of a mile away from this place, but wanted to give Yoshi a try because of all the good reviews. The menu held out great promise with a large number of Japanese small plate dishes that are unique. We started with one of the small plates, the braised pork cheek. As expected, the pork cheek consisted of a large piece of fat (much like a pork belly) with some meat attached. The meat was tender and flavorful, but the sauce was disgustingly sweet...like Terryaki on steroids. At $6.95, it was a good value, however. We also had an order of the shumai. These are clearly frozen shumai that Yoshi steams. They were soggy and very average...much like the ones you get from the Korean market frozen in the bag. At $5.95 for five shumai, this dish was overpriced and annoying -- many pepple share this type of appetizer as we did, so not serving an even number of shumai in the order seems shortsighted. We then shared a broad variety of nigri sushi. Unlike many local places, Yoshi prices their sushi by the piece instead of by the order of two pieces. This is actually not a bad idea as it allows for added flexiibility. There were several items of which we ordered three pieces instead of four because one of us only wanted to sample certain items. The sushi was very mixed in quality and freshness. The tuna, the mainstay of any sushi restaurant, was quite good, as was the white tuna (Escolar). The uni (sea urchin) was much less fresh. Uni is very delicate and spoils quickly. While not spoiled, the uni here did have a fair amount of brownish color and harsh, fishy taste. I eat a lot of uni and this was a definite C-. We also ordered several rolls. The spicy tuna roll was awful...it had a strange taste and I suspect they use tuna scraps rather than the nice fresh tuna we got in the regular tuna sushi. One other special roll had "tempura crunch" as one of the ingredients. Obviously, the batch of tempura crumbs from which they got the ones for our roll had been fried up several days in advance and allowed to sit and get stale...they tatsed liked semi-rancid grease (the flavor you get when it sits out too long). We are usually sushi eating machines who leave overstuffed. We left the majority of the two rolls behind...something we would never do unless they were as truly indedible as these. The one other sushi item worth noting was the salmon skin handroll...it was freshly cooked, crispy and delicious. The final comment I will make on the menu is that they charge $1.75 for a soda...and charge for each refill at full price. This is highly uncommon outside of New York City, in my experience. Chain restaurants have pretty much made the free refills standard everywhere (although I admit that $1.75 would be a low price for free refills...but to pay $1.75 a refill is ridiculous). The service was adequate, though not overly attentive. In short, with prices higher than at Yama...with highly inconsistent food quality...and with bare minimum service, I can't recommend a visit here. I suspect that if the loyalists who fill the review sites with positive reviews of this place tried Yama instead, a seat at Yama would be even harder to come by than it already is....so maybe I'm shooting myself in the foot by pointing this out. But fair is fair.

• Visited January 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Washington, DC
“Best Local Sushi Option”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

If the number of Japanese patrons is a measure of the authenticity and quality for this small, attractive sushi space, then Sushi Yoshi is up to Osaka standards. We were the only non-Asians in the place, save a lone Caucasian woman who was there for take-out. I have long been an aficionado of sushi since my days in Osaka and have experienced some great sushi in the U.S. For the D.C. area, you can’t beat Sushi Yoshi. The lunch specials are a bargain. All of the fish and other seafood were fresh, the miso wonderful and authentic, oshitoshi delicate and flavorful and the rice was of high quality. I’d put Sushi Yoshi a bit below Yasuda in NYC (our favorite in the U.S.), but since it is our best local option they get a 5, even though the service was not very efficient. We returned yesterday (Friday) for lunch but were turned away since we did not have reservations. Couldn’t even get a stool at the bar. Saving seats for the local community? Perhaps, but that is their prerogative.

• Visited October 2011