Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts
Ranked #1 of 6 Attractions in Vienna
Type: Parks, National Parks
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: The only national park dedicated to the performing arts, with spaces for indoor and outdoor performances.
Towson, Maryland
4 attraction reviews
“IL VOLO”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

We had very good seats to see Il Volo, three Italian youngsters (well now they're all over 20) who have sensational voices. You may have seen them on PBS. They are for real, and while we hope they stay together for a long time to come, each has a unique voice and personality which leads us to believe that they will eventually separate. Thus we felt privileged to see them perform live at Wolftrap. Anyone and EVERYONE there that evening will tell you just how very special it was. Thanks fellows, and we'll keep a light shiining on your futures.

washingtondc
13 attraction reviews
“First Visit- will be back again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Our first visit to Wolf Trap to see Il Volo. We visited the website first but really still had no idea fully what to expect as far are the venue itself goes. So here goes: casual dress- picnic tables so you can enjoy your food you have brought form home prior to the show. They do have food options there- the sit down places are pricy. Once you go into the area where they scan your tickets and search your bags, has food vendors too, Also gift shops. Ample bathrooms. You can take your seat 1/2 hour prior to the show unless you are on the lawn. We were in orchestra Row S great Seats. One disappointment: The website said no still pics or videos so we left the camera home. Once there, they announced there" no video- still pics ok- our camera phones could not take good pics from our seats. Great show tho!! I was in music heaven! Their lineup thru the season is a nice variety for all tastes.The sidewalk from Lot 4 closest to the Felene Ctr is a bit steep. We got there early as they state parking is limited. Leaving the lot afterwards was not a lengthy process- lots of staff to assist in all areas.

Leesburg, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
“Excellent night out, a few problems”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

My wife and I went to the Filene center to see beauty and the beast. The show itself was absolutely perfect, I was highly entertained by a story I already knew well. The venue was pretty nice plenty of bathrooms, though there are still huge lines, and a few places to grab a drink or some food. Traffic leaving is the main issue, both on foot and in a car. We sat for at least 20 minutes before we could even start crawling out of the west lot. From there people seemed to think forming a double right turn lane to a single lane road was the best option. Other than that the place was great, wear some bug repellant and bring some water, virginia gets hot and humid!

Lorton, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
“Forget how magical and what a treasure we have”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

I attended Wolf Trap on Friday to see Gentleman's Rule and Under the Streetlamp. The perfect weather made a perfect backdrop to a national treasure with good music enjoyed by all. It had been a while since I had been to Wolf Trap and sitting there, enjoying the music made me realize how special the venue is. It is nice that food and beverage can be brought in for those so inclined. It is also nice that there are other options to purchase food. Both groups were excellent. The other thing that has always amazed me is how efficiently cars leave the parking. Everyone can find something at Wolf Trap and all should go see what a wonderful evening can be had!!!!

Visited May 2014
Vienna, Virginia
4 attraction reviews
“Fantastic Place, but can have issues”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Note:
Wolf Trap is comprised of several venues/areas, all wonderful, but most folks concentrate mainly on the Filene Center which has spring/summer open air concerts with lawn seating and indoor, but still open air, seating; and the Barns (Winter small indoor concerts). There are also many workshops, festivals, outdoor areas and tiny stages, etc. This review is primarily about the Filene center.

I've been going here for over 20 years - it is wonderful. You can bring in your picnic including adult beverages (perhaps the only Federal Park where you can do so), and store your cooler/picnic basket if you have seats inside. If you have lawn tickets, you can continue to picnic in place.

Most times, this is 5+ rating, but it depends on the artists and the crowd. I've had some of the best times and seen the best concerts of my life here (typically mid-popular artists - no mega-stars). For example, Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers with Edie Brickell was superb last year.

I've also sat on the lawn during concerts such as Widespread Panic, a great band, but everyone around us was smoking one type of smoke or another, which I don't mind as long as it is not all over me, but we got smoked out once the sun set and the docents stopped enforcing the Federal No-Smoking rules of Wolftrap. My understanding was that the place was left covered with trash the next day.

In summary, if it is artists you like, and you believe it will draw your type of crowd, plan on a 5+ experience (depending on weather). If you think the crowd is not for you - stay away - especially as management change has encouraged a different crowd than in the past.

Visited May 2014