“Forget how magical and what a treasure we have” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 9 Attractions in Vienna
Type: National Parks, Nature & Parks
More attraction details
Owner description: The only national park dedicated to the performing arts, with spaces for indoor and outdoor performances.
Lorton, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
“Forget how magical and what a treasure we have”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

I attended Wolf Trap on Friday to see Gentleman's Rule and Under the Streetlamp. The perfect weather made a perfect backdrop to a national treasure with good music enjoyed by all. It had been a while since I had been to Wolf Trap and sitting there, enjoying the music made me realize how special the venue is. It is nice that food and beverage can be brought in for those so inclined. It is also nice that there are other options to purchase food. Both groups were excellent. The other thing that has always amazed me is how efficiently cars leave the parking. Everyone can find something at Wolf Trap and all should go see what a wonderful evening can be had!!!!

Vienna, Virginia
5 attraction reviews
“Fantastic Place, but can have issues”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Note:
Wolf Trap is comprised of several venues/areas, all wonderful, but most folks concentrate mainly on the Filene Center which has spring/summer open air concerts with lawn seating and indoor, but still open air, seating; and the Barns (Winter small indoor concerts). There are also many workshops, festivals, outdoor areas and tiny stages, etc. This review is primarily about the Filene center.

I've been going here for over 20 years - it is wonderful. You can bring in your picnic including adult beverages (perhaps the only Federal Park where you can do so), and store your cooler/picnic basket if you have seats inside. If you have lawn tickets, you can continue to picnic in place.

Most times, this is 5+ rating, but it depends on the artists and the crowd. I've had some of the best times and seen the best concerts of my life here (typically mid-popular artists - no mega-stars). For example, Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers with Edie Brickell was superb last year.

I've also sat on the lawn during concerts such as Widespread Panic, a great band, but everyone around us was smoking one type of smoke or another, which I don't mind as long as it is not all over me, but we got smoked out once the sun set and the docents stopped enforcing the Federal No-Smoking rules of Wolftrap. My understanding was that the place was left covered with trash the next day.

In summary, if it is artists you like, and you believe it will draw your type of crowd, plan on a 5+ experience (depending on weather). If you think the crowd is not for you - stay away - especially as management change has encouraged a different crowd than in the past.

Virginia
29 attraction reviews
“Excellent place to enjoy music.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

The landscaping and maintenance of Wolftrap cannot be compared in the area. Sit on the lawn or go for a seat inside....either is a great experience. Parking is a nightmare for sold out events but that would be my only limited negative.

Visited September 2013
DC
“Fabulous Venue”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Best outdoor venue around. Easy to get into and out of. I've been there many times and have always enjoyed. Whether the lawn or indoor seats it's always a lot of fun. Beautiful surroundings.

39 attraction reviews
“Wonderful Outdoor Venue”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

I have been coming to Wolf Trap for several years for great shows which are performed outdoors during the Summer months. My boyfriend and I saw many famous singers/bands and always enjoyed this venue. The grounds are nicely landscaped, at all times, and very well-maintained. The atmosphere was relaxing for us. I am especially glad I finally got to see one of my all time favorites, the talented Donna Summer, a couple of years before her untimely passing. The prices, for tickets, are reasonable (you can purchase them online, via phone or at the box office there)and you have the flexibility to bring lawn chairs/blankets for lawn seats (not sure if umbrellas are allowed). The higher priced tickets are for the seat under the shelter. Concerts usually are still held even if it rains. People can bring their own food/beverages inside, too. A restaurant is also at Wolf Trap (not sure of the prices...we never dined there). They offer ample free parking in the lot. We take the back roads (versus the highway) to save time and money (there is a toll road exit from the highway and sometimes the highway can be backed up with traffic depending on the day/time of the show). A Metro subway stop is close by and they have a Metrobus service to transport patrons, from the subway stop to Wolf Trap, on the day of the show during the Summer months only. The hours are restrictive, though. We will continue to come to Wolf Trap to see great shows.

Visited August 2013