“Overpriced, rundown motel” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Vienna
Arlington, Virginia
“Overpriced, rundown motel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

Stayed here just one night over the summer. The room was very run down inside, old furniture, dirty/torn carpet, and outdated bathroom. This really caught me by surprise since the price wasn't cheap compared to other brand-name hotels.There really wasn't a front office; it was more of a converted motel room with a computer and desk. The free breakfast consisted of stale donuts and bagels, with some watered-down coffee and OJ.

One saving grace was that the rooms were at least clean and the "front desk" folk were nice.

The room rate was ridiculous for the quality of the hotel. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
wolftrap22180, General Manager at Vienna Wolf Trap Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2012
Thank you for taking the time out and writing a review for the Vienna Wolf Trap Hotel. I'm sorry your experience left you somewhat disappointed. Our staff here takes pride in their work and while our property is a little dated, like you stated we do provide clean and comfortable rooms and the location of our property cannot be beat. During your stay we were under construction as we were remodeling our new Lobby/Front Desk which is adjacent to our new Breakfast area . I was glad to hear our staff treated you kindly; we do take all comments and concerns seriously and will work to improve our breakfast selection in the future. Again, thank you for your feedback and I do hope that you will consider returning back to the Vienna Wolf Trap Hotel the next time you are in the area.

Thanks,

Leo Rodriguez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

There's a shortage of decent budget accommodation in the metro DC area, and the Wolf Trap is a good choice if you're on a budget. It's about a mile from Vienna Metro station which takes about 40 minutes to downtown DC (and the all day parking does now accept non-US credit cards on exit).
The Wolf Trap itself is a typical 70s motel, with external corridors on 3 floors, but generally quite well maintained. There's a fair bit of traffic noise from Route 123, but it's acceptable, and as the only heating is through the room a/c units, if arrive late on a cold or snowy night (as I did), the rooms can be cold, but soon warm up reasonably well. Breakfast is simple (bagels, donuts and fruit) but adequate and included in the rates. The high speed internet access works OK and is free but sometimes needs resetting by reception to work. And there's a terminal in reception at which you can print off airline boarding passes, etc.

Room Tip: Those furthest away from the road will be quietest (but they may not spot a request on your booking...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Albany, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

I have been staying at the Vienna Wolf Trap every time I have visited the Washington DC area since early November of 2009. It is the only accommodations I use. Their rates are extremely reasonable (sometimes I stay for month-long periods) and every member of staff that I have encountered has been amiable and professional. Any issues which may arise, such as problems with internet, etc. have always... been speedily remedied by the front office. The Wolf Trap is located in a safe, clean suburban area which offers several restaurant choices as well as grocery and convenient stores, all within walking distance. Public transportation is also easily accessible. Although these accommodations cannot be considered "luxury," if you can be satisfied with a clean, comfortable room in a tranquil area, then this place should be your first pick.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
north east
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

We stayed here for the final night of our holiday, the location was great, only 1 mile from the metro station with trains going into Washington DC. Also only about 20 mins from Dullas Airport wher we were flying out of.
The hotel was tatty at the best. Laminate broken off the doors, tape on window cracks and towels like sandpaper. There were cigarette burns on the bathand everything was very worn. It was clean
, we checked the sheets and pillows. We did stay only because we couldnt find anything else nearby. We really wished we had researched the location before leaving the UK.
It was probably a nice hotel in the 70s, shame it hasn't been looked after as the location is great

Room Tip: Dont'stay
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Forest, VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

In all honesty, we actually didn't stay. The exterior was run-down and a bit sketchy, but we decided to try the room. I've easily stayed in over 100 hotels in my life and have NEVER seen one in this state! Room odor, holes in the walls, floor "spongy" to walk on, mold in bathroom (that had signs of flooding/water damage), it was absolutely gross! I looked as close as I did out of morbid curiosity. My wife said the odor of the room lingered in her nose for some time after we left. Much to their credit, the office staff were friendly and never questioned our room refusal.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Vineland, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

I was visiting Washingon DC for spring break, and wanted a hotel that was cheap and not crowded, and I found it. This hotel was very well priced, but it wasnt very convinient. There was alot of traffic due to construction ( i know is not the hotels fault) so it took us twice as much to get to the hotel. The room was very clean, and big. My boyfriend with a wheelchair was very confortable and was able to move around, even though it was a regular room (they only have 1 handicap accesible room). He also took his Service dog with him and they were very accomodating to that as well. The "continental breakfast" wasnt much but bagels and donuts from Dunkins with coffee, tea and juice. I did not eat breakfast because when i got there there wasnt much left (breakfast was from 6-10 am). Overall I wiuld stay here again, but I would find out if there is any construction going on at the time.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011 via mobile

Before I booked this hotel I read reviews on a few different sites. The consensus was the hotel serves it's purpose - a place to sleep. The non-smoking room smelled like an old room someone had smoked in. I believe the smoke seeps through the badly insulated walls. It's not overpowering though. The walls have holes and bad patching jobs all over. The lighting in the room is bad. The heater worked a little too well so I had to turn it down to 60 to keep the room comfy. The bathroom was surprisingly clean. It appeared cleaner than the room actually. I would recommend this hotel of you aren't interested in very many amenities and just want to sleep. Its in a great town but on a busy intersection. I would suggest ear plugs.

• Stayed April 2011

Been to Vienna Wolf Trap Hotel? Share your experiences!