“We will keep coming back” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 20 Restaurants in Hot Springs
Black Hills, SD
“We will keep coming back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We've eaten here a couple times now since they've opened. Tried a different dish each time. The complimentary chip basket is fresh made with salsa that is not too spicy, just right. The burrito bar is a great value. HUGE tortilla filled with fresh meat of your choice and you just add all the toppings you would like. We've taken a to-go box each time we've been there. The steak has a zing that really wakes up the taste buds & has a baked potato & corn on the cob as the sides. I normally don't like enchiladas but after trying a bite on one visit, ordered it as my entrée for the next visit. Very good & again the to-go box has lunch for tomorrow. Sides were rice & black beans. The rice was just ok to me but my dining partner loved it. I do prefer it more stripped down like this rather than the red rice w/all the peppers some places serve. I'm not used to black bean and wasn't sure I would like them but they were very flavorful. Prices are just right. Still haven't decided to have for my next visit but we will be back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Minot, North Dakota
“Don't eat here if you know Mexican food, you'll be sorry”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

A new restaurant in the Southern Black Hills, particularly shriveling Hot Springs, is an event. I can't say we made a special trip, but we went out of our way to try this bright new restaurant -- well, reinvention of an old one -- by purported New York chefs. Anticipating true cuisine in Hot Springs, we were willing to ignore the bullet holes and cracked glass in the front windows. We were willing to overlook some shabbiness, and even food spilled on the carpets inside.

We were willing to overlook a lot of things, but not bad food and bad service. This review with a 2 dot rating is a gift. The food is horrible, only outdone by miserable service and high prices. Complaints go completely ignored. Meals come on a shabby plate with a bowl of black beans, that seemed fresh out of a cheap can and unspiced, and another bowl of badly cooked rice spiced with cilantro and lime. Someone said it was a Cuban influence.

Believe me, Granny Gourmet knows Mexican, Spanish and Cuban food. She cut her teeth on fine Cubano Cuisine in Ybor City, Tampa, Florida. I've eaten Mexican food throughout Mexico, Texas, California, and well beyond; and eaten Spanish food in many places in Spain. Whatever they are serving in Hot Springs is beyond the pale: awful, purely and simply.

We won't be back no matter how much we crave "Mexican food." Taco Johns, the low tide of chow in this town, is better, and Granny Gourmet has little nice to say about fast "Mexican" food. Save yourself some disappointment and give Buen Dia a miss until 2014 -- if they are still in business. Muy Malo!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Dayton, Ohio
“A disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Considering the hype this newly reopened restaurant received, I was disappointed. The service was mediocre at best, and when my partner complained about her meal - no attempt at any service correction was made. The waiter (or server) was one of the worst I've seen in years, and only was interested in selling more beverages and desserts. Some may expect restaurants to have teething problems soon after opening, but the word I received is that the two former "New York chefs" were trialing their meals and operations for about a month before opening. Let's hope this restaurant gets its act together. As for myself, I won't go back for a long time, and only after I see more positive reviews from others.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere