“awesome ride” 4 of 5 stars

Casper, Wyoming
6 attraction reviews
“awesome ride”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

was a great experience for me and my boyfriend on our little getaway , love horse back riding , great views riding along the black hills ,would love to ride again when we venture out that way again

Visited October 2013

Chicago
3 attraction reviews
“Wonderful horses in a beautiful setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

My daughter and I rode twice with Holly while vacationing in the Black Hills. Holly is lovely. She is excellent company on the ride and a great guide. She only takes 4 people max per ride, and she only does one ride per day. The horses are heathy, beautiful and responsive. It's obvious Holly takes excellent care of her horses and knows each horse well. The facility is well maintained. The highlight is the terrain and beautiful scenery. Although cantering is not allowed (due to liability), we did trot when the terrain was suitable and Holly encouraged us to ride along side her when the trail opened up rather than following along nose-to-tail like a typical trail ride. Our ride was very enjoyable and peaceful. The ranch is located out in the middle of the country in a beautiful setting. It took us 30 minutes to drive there from the town of Custer. Or 50 minutes from the State Game Lodge in Custer State Park.

Visited July 2014
Rockford, Illinois, United States
10 attraction reviews
“Horseback riding with friends”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

If you are going to ride horses in SD, this is definitely the place to do it. Our ride was just my husband, daughter and I (groups of four max) so it was like going out with friends rather than a tour. Holly was so accommodating and worked us in even though we were a last minute booking. We rode up and down the hills and were able to move our horses about freely when in open areas. My husband and I booked this because it was something our daughter wanted to do but in the end was a highlight of our SD vacation.

Visited June 2014
Kearney, Missouri
“Best ride yet!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

Sage Meadow Ranch was the third of three trail riding expeditions we took in the Black Hills. We are experienced riders who only had a couple of days to ride, so we decided not to bring our own horses. When we arrived at Sage Meadow, we knew that this place was different. Holly greeted us and gave us a brief tour. Her facility was immaculate. Her horses were well trained and a joy to ride. It was definitely the best of the three trail experiences we had on someone else's horses. I have already recommended Sage Meadow to several friends. If you are looking for a spectacular ride for all riding levels, you should definitely ride with Holly and Dave!!! I am so glad we did!

Visited June 2014
Los Angeles, California
“Sage Meadow Ranch is the best place for horseback riding!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

The day after Labor Day (September 2, 2013) my husband and I scheduled a late afternoon riding session at Sage Meadow Ranch--between Prindle and Hot Springs in the Southern Black Hills of South Dakota.
Early in the day we were somewhat worried that the clouds in the sky would prematurely end our scheduled horseback riding--but as our appointed time neared the sky cleared up and we enjoyed postcard perfect weather. That was an additional benefit as the scenery we saw as we approached Sage Meadow Ranch was quite majestic. The prairie interspersed with stands of trees and dry river beds collectively painted a picture of nature that added to the wonderful adventure of our horseriding experience.

We met Holly--the owner and proprietor of Sage Meadow Ranch--at her stable as she was getting our mounts prepared for our riding session. Both my husband and I were provided young (5 and 4 years old) Palomino geldings--which were well trained yet spirited enough to provide us with a riding experience beyond the traditional 'follow-the-leader trail ride'. Holly (and her apprentice Lynne) made certain that all safety precautions were covered before we even sat on the saddle. Their attention to our safety and comfort with the horses made the experience most enjoyable.

I can write a novella on our riding experience yet it would simply not come close to the spiritual connection that I experienced with the setting and the horses. What ever rating system is used to evaluate stables/trail riding services used by Trip Advisor...I would suggest that Holly and Sage Meadow Ranch earned/deserves at least one point more than the top score. From now on our main purpose for heading toward the Hills will be to visit Sage Meadow Ranch.

Visited September 2013