“Pleasant Surprise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cincinnatian Hotel

You added Cincinnatian Hotel to your Saves list
Cincinnatian Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   601 Vine St, Cincinnati, OH 45202 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel packages
Special Deal
Upgrade & FREE Breakfast
Ranked #15 of 48 Hotels in Cincinnati
Nashville, Tennessee
“Pleasant Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

I travel to Cincinnati a lot and have always gone for the Westin, but was unable to get in and found myself at the Cincinnatian. I was skeptical given prior bad experiences in other downtown Cincinnati hotels - but walked away feeling very good.

The Great Things:
1. Quiet. This was the quietest hotel stay I ever had at a downtown hotel, which is a critical thing for a light sleeper like myself.
2. The staff is incredibly focused on their guests in all areas (front desk, bar, operator, restaurant, valet).
3. Size of room. This just makes things seem even more cozy. I was very relaxed the entire time and slept great.

Improvement Areas:
The only thing the Cincinnatian needs to focus on is renovations. There was wallpaper coming off the hallways and cracks that needed attention. I think a lot of this has to do with the age of the building, but depressed spots in the floors and updated furniture need to be addressed.

Overall I would stay at the Cincinnatian again and would highly recommend it to anyone. I know this is one of the preferred places for celebrities when visiting Cincinnati, and there staff makes everyone feel a little regal.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Terre Haute, IN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2009

So this past weekend, my girlfriend and I headed to Cincinnati for a Reds weekend. We go about once a month through summer, so I have stayed at all the higher end hotels in downtown and in Covington. My hotel of choice was booked, so I tried pricline.com for a 4-star hotel. I wound up with an okay deal at the Cincinnatian Hotel. Check in was quick, and Valet Parking was 28 bucks for one night, which is about 10 bucks higher than other nearby hotels. It cost 30 bucks to upgrade to a room with a king bed instead of a queen. The room was small, but the bed was quite comfortable. The mini bar was a nice feature, but pricing was insanely expensive, five dollars for bottled water, and there was no vending or ice machines available on our floor. Free Wi-Fi was about the only plus. We did get a good night's sleep, despite the loud noise of downtown. However when we awoke the next morning for a shower, we had no hot water. We alerted staff, and they said "you waited to take a shower when everybody else did, there's not much we can do about it." They didn't apologize or offer any sort of discount for our cold shower. Also, breakfast at the hotel restaurant cost me and my girlfriend 40 bucks for an order of pancakes, an omelet, and two orange juices. I will NEVER use stay at the Cincinnatian hotel again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

So I just came back from a weekend in Cincinnati for the Civil Rights Baseball weekend and stay at this hotel. The statement don't judge a book by it's cover could never be truer in this case. From first glance it does not look like anything special even upon entering the lobby it looks very average. The room are very nice and pretty good size. Huge washroom with double sinks but there was no door to washroom which was a little annoying. The lobby bar was very nice and comfortable and the drinks were reasonably priced. The staff at this hotel were very helpful and friendly; I had many long conversations with various members of the staff. Lastly, the best part was Mohammed Ali, Hank Aaron and Ernie Banks along with a few others were stayin at this hotel. I got some nice up close pictures of them. Anyway I would for sure stay here again and would recommen you stay here as well.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Cincinnatian for my birthday. We loved the historic feeling of the hotel. The resturant was very good as well, little expensive, but comperable to the other downtown hotels. This hotel is in the middle of the downtown area. One thing about the hotel, they have valet parking (which is overpriced), or you can park in a nearby parking gargage that is safe and much cheaper.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2009

Stayed in town visiting my sister. My partner and I were greeted by name throughout our stay. Every request we made to the staff was immediately tended to. We loved the bath lotion and called for extra, which arrived within two minutes. We needed condiments for food that we had ordered in from another restaurant, and room service brought them up immediately.
My advice--I've stayed in the "standard" room at this hotel before, and they are unimpressive. However, the service will be impeccable in any room. If you want a giant-sized room for $100, then go somewhere else--you get what you pay for (e.g. some people expect a $300 room but will only pay $100)! Go for the upgraded room (as I did) and you won't be disappointed. The renovated rooms are stylish, fresh, and modern.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2009

We unexpectedly stayed at the Cincinnatian after being forced to stop due to bad weather. The desk person was very pleasant and quoted us a rate of $99 for a queen room which I thought was very reasonable for a 4 star hotel. At the check-in desk, there was a placard advertising available upgrades. I was told that an upgrade to a King room would be $119 and that there were other renovated rooms with fireplaces and Jacuzzis starting at $345. We found our room to be clean but with one noticeable exception. One of the decorative pillows on our bed had what appeared to be blood on one corner. I brought this to the attention of the front desk and they immediately apologized and removed them from our room. If I stayed here again, I would ask to see the renovated rooms which I am told are much nicer than the one we stayed in and start at about $179.00. I also agree that the foyer and bar areas are small and much in need of a complete makeover.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2009

I love hotwire. I LOVE it. It rarely steers me wrong. This was one of those times where if it looks to good to be true then it probably is. I saw a 4 star hotel for 90 dollars. I thought...book it now! Then we arrived. The lobby was nice but the staff was far from it. We were asked immediately if we wanted to upgrade to a King room for extra money...I said no...surely the queen room was going to be fine. We were given our keys...and I do mean the old fashioned metal keys to go to our room. They didn't work. So we tried again...and got into our room...or should I say...closet. It was big enough for the armoire and the bed. The shower had hair in it and the handle came off the faucet in the shower. We were just there for the night so we didn't say anything.

The next day I was checking my bank balance. I knew they had reserved money on my debit card for incidentals. Usually its 50-75 dollars. Try 150 dollars...for a 90 dollar room...and a one night stay. I thought it to be ridiculous.

SO...if you see 4 star Cincinatti downtown hotel. My recomendation is to pass. Py the extra 20 dollars and stay at the Hilton or cross the river and stay at the Holiday Inn ( I have stayed at both and loved my stays there)...but bypass the "good" deal. Because all in all...it just wasn't that good of a deal.

If you are paying full price...maybe you do get one of the rooms they show on their website. I hope they are every bit of wonderful as the website shows them to be.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

Been to Cincinnatian Hotel? Share your experiences!