“old grande dame that needs a little face lift” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Cincinnatian Hotel

You added Cincinnatian Hotel to your Saves list
Cincinnatian Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   601 Vine St, Cincinnati, OH 45202 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel packages
Special Rate
Free room upgrade
Ranked #19 of 49 Hotels in Cincinnati
nyc
“old grande dame that needs a little face lift”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is a lovely old hotel with a beautiful lobby and a very nice bar and restaurant.
The rooms are small and need to be significantly refreshed. I barely had room
around the sink area to place my toiletries.Shower looked like something out of
the sixties. Although they give you free wi-fi, there was no coffee pot in the room
and room service was very expensive. Location is fabulous but I'm not sure that
would be enought to draw me back. Staff was lovely and very helpful. Great idea
to provide make up removers in the room. Only better idea was the airplane plastic
toiletries bag supplied by The Four Seasons (what about lint removers?). Room rate was
attractive.

Room Tip: Inside courtyard rooms view the lobby and tend to be dark.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Orlando
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

Just checked into this place and not expecting much based on TA reviews and rating. Beautiful renovated room with one of the biggest bathrooms and coolest showers I have ever seen. Deluxe king room so not a suite. Linens very nice. Check in easy and courteous.
Havent eaten in hotel yet but this place is obviously underrated!

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
ORRVILLE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We had a wonderful dinner at The Palace and drinks at The Cricket Lounge and spent a very comfortable night in a luxurious room. Very convenient location to shopping and nightlife. Staff were cheerful and accommodating. Witnessing an engagement during dinner was the icing on the cake!

• Stayed March 2013
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

From the moment the valet met us in the rain till checkout, we had a wonderful stay. The front dest staff was very courteous and the Concierge easily and accurately answered our questions. The rooms were very clean and the beds extremely comfortable. We were on the 4th floor and could not hear the noise of the street below. We were there for two days and very happy with all the staff we encountered. We ordered room service both days and received our meal in the time promised and everything was correct. The bathrooms are very large and more than enough space for two people to get ready at the same time. The staff was great. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I travel for business and have stayed in many hotels, ranging from Presidential suites in 5 star hotels, to motel 6's. My experience this evening was the worst experience I have ever had. We had booked the room a month in advance and it was clear that they had stuck us in an overflow room. We checked into the hotel and were put in a room that was 30 years old, dirty, stained comforter, and the chair had a large white stain. I asked to be moved, which they accommodated. They put me in a room that was equally as dirty and even more outdated. This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in, I would highly unrecommended the Cincinnatian. Instead I suggest the 21c; newer, nicer staff, and most importantly, CLEAN rooms!

Room Tip: Stay at the 21c, it is a far superior hotel, which less expensive rooms and a better staff.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

The Cincinnatian sits at the corner of 6th and vine street in downtown Cincinnati - across the street from Fountain Square. I wanted to be centrally located since most of what I had to do was either in Clifton, downtown or Northern Kentucky. It was perfect! I could be anywhere I needed to be in 15 minutes or less. The rooms are elegantly appointed, the hotel has a lovely old marble staircase and big spaces where you can sit and talk with friends outside your room, if you like. They have a quaint old fashioned cab as a shuttle to take you wherever you wish to go in the downtown area - perfect for those of you heading to Cincinnati for the new casino. The staff, from the bellman, to the front desk to the housekeepers were friendly. I've eaten in the Cricket before and their happy hour specials are great - a full meal for $5. My only reason for not giving it a 5 star is the coffee service: coffee and hot water for tea are out from 5:30 - 8 during the week, and 5:30 - 9 on weekends, after that you have to ask the Cricket wait staff... I understand why there was not a coffee pot in the room (messy) but I would love then to have extended hours... and perhaps an evening service? that being said, I'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: The Cincinnatian has a live music on the weekends - so you might want a room away from the center o...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Troy, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We stayed at The Cincinnatian as a mini-getaway for my husband's birthday and had a very good time. The hotel is very conveniently located downtown. From it, we walked to Ruths Chris for dinner and to a Cyclones game (both on the riverfront). It sits adjacent to Fountain Square and is near some of the better Downtown shopping as well.

The Cincinnatian's staff are what make the hotel great - everyone we encountered was very friendly, attentive and helpful. In fact, I was already commenting on how friendly the staff was before we even got on the elevator right after check-in!

The hotel itself is a 19th-century structure that apparently went through an unfortunate makeover in the mid-80s and still has that 80's art deco theme going on. It would be so much nicer if it still had a turn-of-the-century feel to it. Still, the rooms are very spacious and well appointed (though I felt lost without an in-room coffee maker), the bed was comfortable and everything was very clean.

We had breakfast at The Palace Restaurant because we had an included $50 food voucher with our stay (Travelzoo deal) and it was very good. However it was probably not worth the $43 tab for eggs, potatoes and coffee for 2 people.

Regardless, it was a pleasant experience to stay and eat at this privately owned, boutique hotel and we would definitely return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Cincinnatian Hotel? Share your experiences!