“Terrible Experience” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Cincinnatian Hotel

Save Saved
You added Cincinnatian Hotel to your Saves list
Cincinnatian Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   601 Vine St, Cincinnati, OH 45202 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel packages
Special Rate
Free room upgrade
Ranked #14 of 49 hotels in Cincinnati
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
“Terrible Experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I travel for business and have stayed in many hotels, ranging from Presidential suites in 5 star hotels, to motel 6's. My experience this evening was the worst experience I have ever had. We had booked the room a month in advance and it was clear that they had stuck us in an overflow room. We checked into the hotel and were put in a room that was 30 years old, dirty, stained comforter, and the chair had a large white stain. I asked to be moved, which they accommodated. They put me in a room that was equally as dirty and even more outdated. This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in, I would highly unrecommended the Cincinnatian. Instead I suggest the 21c; newer, nicer staff, and most importantly, CLEAN rooms!

Room Tip: Stay at the 21c, it is a far superior hotel, which less expensive rooms and a better staff.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

466 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

The Cincinnatian sits at the corner of 6th and vine street in downtown Cincinnati - across the street from Fountain Square. I wanted to be centrally located since most of what I had to do was either in Clifton, downtown or Northern Kentucky. It was perfect! I could be anywhere I needed to be in 15 minutes or less. The rooms are elegantly appointed, the hotel has a lovely old marble staircase and big spaces where you can sit and talk with friends outside your room, if you like. They have a quaint old fashioned cab as a shuttle to take you wherever you wish to go in the downtown area - perfect for those of you heading to Cincinnati for the new casino. The staff, from the bellman, to the front desk to the housekeepers were friendly. I've eaten in the Cricket before and their happy hour specials are great - a full meal for $5. My only reason for not giving it a 5 star is the coffee service: coffee and hot water for tea are out from 5:30 - 8 during the week, and 5:30 - 9 on weekends, after that you have to ask the Cricket wait staff... I understand why there was not a coffee pot in the room (messy) but I would love then to have extended hours... and perhaps an evening service? that being said, I'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: The Cincinnatian has a live music on the weekends - so you might want a room away from the center o...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Troy, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We stayed at The Cincinnatian as a mini-getaway for my husband's birthday and had a very good time. The hotel is very conveniently located downtown. From it, we walked to Ruths Chris for dinner and to a Cyclones game (both on the riverfront). It sits adjacent to Fountain Square and is near some of the better Downtown shopping as well.

The Cincinnatian's staff are what make the hotel great - everyone we encountered was very friendly, attentive and helpful. In fact, I was already commenting on how friendly the staff was before we even got on the elevator right after check-in!

The hotel itself is a 19th-century structure that apparently went through an unfortunate makeover in the mid-80s and still has that 80's art deco theme going on. It would be so much nicer if it still had a turn-of-the-century feel to it. Still, the rooms are very spacious and well appointed (though I felt lost without an in-room coffee maker), the bed was comfortable and everything was very clean.

We had breakfast at The Palace Restaurant because we had an included $50 food voucher with our stay (Travelzoo deal) and it was very good. However it was probably not worth the $43 tab for eggs, potatoes and coffee for 2 people.

Regardless, it was a pleasant experience to stay and eat at this privately owned, boutique hotel and we would definitely return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
bryants store, KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Just came back from a wonderful weekend at the Cincinnatian Hotel. Staff was awesome. Housekeepers were so friendly and helpful. Beautiful hotel in great location. Cant wait to go back..Ate late snack at the Cricket Lounge...perfect. Ate Breakfast in the Palace Restaurant..awesome. ONLY downfall was no coffee pot in the room.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

We arrived much later than expected after a drive through a winter storm, to be greeted by a very friendly registration desk clerk who had been concerned for us as we were much later than anticipated. Our room was simply lovely, quiet, beautifully appointed, with very comfortable beds and a luxurious spa-like bathroom. The thick fluffy robes were much appreciated the next morning. After a very long day my daughter and I decided on room service which was perfectly delivered, hot and fresh. Located in the centre of the city, close to Cincinnati Conservatory, which was the reason for our trip, the Cincinnatian Hotel was an oasis of calm in a busy weekend.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Stayed only one night for a business trip but I would certainly go back. It is a grand old hotel, so undoubtedly the rooms vary in size. Mine was excellent with plenty of space, nicely laid out and it had a comfortable bed. It also had a balcony into the (covered) atrium. The service was excellent although there did seem to be a bit of a line every time I went to the front desk. My only complaint, as others have mentioned, is that rooms that face the atrium suffer from noise that reverberates up the atrium. If you are a light or early sleeper, rooms not on the atrium might be a better choice.

Room Tip: rooms on the atrium can be noisy.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dayton, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Stayed there for one night special offer from travelzoo $129/nt with $50 voucher for food purchase included in the price. Right away notice a huge difference in service. Check in is 3pm, I got there at 5:30 pm. Two reservatisiionist working. One confirm my reservation via travelzoo and had me wait there while four people check in with the other reservationist. I asked why the long wait for me they said they are preparing my`standard king room . Finally they got the room ready on the 7th floor which had no carpet in the bedroom area,I thought strange, Later I found out its for pet friendly stay. i felt they should have said something to me at least to give me an option. I am alergic to pets.

We had dinner at the Palace restaurant was seated at 9:10 got food an hour later. Portion size were ridiculousy small and not worth the long wait with not a crowd. Also next morning we had no hot water in the hotel. I will not recommend this hotel highly over rated!!!!

Room Tip: If you purchase a special offer online make sure you know what you are getting. If sensitive to pets...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Cincinnatian Hotel? Share your experiences!