“Lovely Historic Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cincinnatian Hotel

Save Saved
You added Cincinnatian Hotel to your Saves list
Cincinnatian Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   601 Vine St, Cincinnati, OH 45202 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel packages
Special Rate
Free room upgrade
Ranked #13 of 49 hotels in Cincinnati
Brilynn79
“Lovely Historic Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Snagged the deal on Hotwire.com

Excellent location right near Fountain Square. Found parking near the hotel off of Vine and 7th for $12 per night. Lobby was beautifully decorated for Christmas, but was rather small.

Friendly staff throughout. Palace restaurant was very good, but seemed to draw an older crowd. We were unable to secure reservations for the holiday tea. I had tried a few times to make them earlier in the month, but could not get through on the phone line.

Was surprised to actually have a room key. Nice size room and large bathroom for a historic hotel. Huge bathtub. Loved the toiletries, huge soft bath towels, and robes.

Turn down service had to be requested. It came with a delicious chocolate chip cookie and odd cloth on the floor- maybe a prayer cloth or bare feet?

468 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Landmark historic hotel that has been recently and elegantly refurbished with a profusion of artwork lining the lobbies and hallways. Rooms are exceptionally comfortable with unexpected amenities. (We selected one with a whirlpool, a separate sitting/dining area, balcony, and 2 fireplaces.) We stayed just before Christmas and benefitted from the tasteful, quality decorations with a different Santa on each floor. We enjoyed a classically-prepared and -served dinner in the restaurant--one of the finest we've had in years. Try the duck confit for an appetizer and either the crusted salmon or steak for the entree. The service was outstanding and all the staff were friendly and attentive. We will continue to make this our getaway destination.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a "balcony" (actually an extra room overlooking the atrium), a high fl...
Springfield, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

The Cincinnatian is a classic historic hotel in downtown Cincinnati. I come to town often and park across the street in the Fountain Square North garage. It is $15 per day, which anymore is not bad for a big city. The hotel was all decked out for Christmas and was beautiful. It really puts one in the mood for the holidays. We checked in early and went shopping next door where Macy's and Jos. A. Bank are located. We dined at the Palace, which was great, and I will review separately. My wife reported that the room smelled a little but some spritz made it better. The room was set up nicely with a door to a little private balcony overlooking the atrium. There is a turn down service but we were in the room and turned it down. The bathroom is neat with an opening at the top of one wall to the rest of the room and the shower is in a separate room from the sink area. The bath tub has a high clearance so be careful not band your shin on it as I did.

This is where the story makes a turn. There might have been a party group there but the noise from the bar area continued after midnight and I called the desk to ask that it be stopped. The clerk told me that the bar closes at midnight and she would send security over to break it up. A second call a half hour later netted the referral to security coming. I looked out from my balcony and could see a group of four men and three women making the racket under my room. A third call about 1:00 AM got me the report that they were getting ready to leave and security was going to help. At 1:30 I made my last plea to the clerk offered to move us. I said I wanted THEM to be moved-out the door if necessary. I believe that there was no security or it would not have been allowed to go on and on. They did adjust my bill to credit me for half the room price, and I appreciate that since we did not rest well. It was a special trip for my wife's birthday and was supposed to be romantic but this popped that balloon. We had no energy the next day for sight seeing that we had planned. Upon checkout in the morning, I was not asked about the stay nor was eye contact made with me. They seemed very unfriendly. I received a follow up automatic email to the GM's address and I told the whole story. I would have thought an apology might be emailed to me, but I have never heard a word, and this says he doesn't care, sadly.

I may try the hotel again sometime but will be careful about what room I am in as EVERY room overlooking the atrium has the noise. The hotel can do better in customer relations but is a classic so maybe that is the price you pay to stay in such a place.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking the atrium if you want to sleep.
Howell, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

I stayed here for the Octoberfest that takes place in Cincinnati (which I highly suggest) I was only here for one night. The price is a little high, but the hotel is great. It is a very old hotel and has that feel to it. The room was nice a very good size. It also had a fridge which was very nice as well. Staying here you can basically walk anywhere in the area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
West Chester, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I knew the location was going to be convenient to just about everything in downtown Cincinnati. I also knew that this was an older hotel. So, I wasn't really sure if it would satisfy. But, the place has real charm that isn't there in many newer hotels. The rooms are just as nice as any newer hotel. The service is wonderfully efficient and friendly. My wife and I spent the night here as part of a weekend getaway, even though we could have driven home after dinner. It's a block from the Aronoff Center where we saw a Saturday afternoon performance of "Jersey Boys". We were across the street from Fountain Square where we checked out the ice skating rink and the Christmas tree. Then we walked down the block, around the corner, and one more block to The Blue Wisp for dinner and jazz.

Room Tip: Rooms that don't overlook the restaurant and bar in the courtyard would be quieter, if you'v...
Cincinnatus, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I've always heard such great things about the hotel so I had high expectations for our first stay here. The Cincinnatian did not disappoint. We booked the AMEX special that included an upgrade. Our room was very tastefully appointed and spacious! Beautiful wood floors, large entryway with a desk, sitting area in the bedroom and separate vanity spaces. The hotel is within walking distance of many downtown attractions, too. If you are looking for a high-end hotel that's well worth the price, I encourage you to stay here.

• Stayed December 2012
Broomfield, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

The Cincinnatian has done some great room reservations over the last couple years. Being on the historic registry of hotels just adds to the charm. At night you will want to walk only to the south of the hotel as a few blocks north can still be questionable. The rooms are clean and the latest room I stayed in was newly renovated. It had hard wood floors, and a nicely finished bathroom with duel shower heads. I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Cincinnati for business or pleasure. The staff is helpful and never have problems.

Room Tip: Make sure that your room is one that has been remodeled as those are the best.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Cincinnatian Hotel? Share your experiences!