“Mixed Bag This Time At The Cincinnatian” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cincinnatian Hotel

You added Cincinnatian Hotel to your Saves list
Cincinnatian Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   601 Vine St, Cincinnati, OH 45202 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #15 of 48 Hotels in Cincinnati
Springfield, Ohio
“Mixed Bag This Time At The Cincinnatian”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

The Cincinnatian is a classic historic hotel in downtown Cincinnati. I come to town often and park across the street in the Fountain Square North garage. It is $15 per day, which anymore is not bad for a big city. The hotel was all decked out for Christmas and was beautiful. It really puts one in the mood for the holidays. We checked in early and went shopping next door where Macy's and Jos. A. Bank are located. We dined at the Palace, which was great, and I will review separately. My wife reported that the room smelled a little but some spritz made it better. The room was set up nicely with a door to a little private balcony overlooking the atrium. There is a turn down service but we were in the room and turned it down. The bathroom is neat with an opening at the top of one wall to the rest of the room and the shower is in a separate room from the sink area. The bath tub has a high clearance so be careful not band your shin on it as I did.

This is where the story makes a turn. There might have been a party group there but the noise from the bar area continued after midnight and I called the desk to ask that it be stopped. The clerk told me that the bar closes at midnight and she would send security over to break it up. A second call a half hour later netted the referral to security coming. I looked out from my balcony and could see a group of four men and three women making the racket under my room. A third call about 1:00 AM got me the report that they were getting ready to leave and security was going to help. At 1:30 I made my last plea to the clerk offered to move us. I said I wanted THEM to be moved-out the door if necessary. I believe that there was no security or it would not have been allowed to go on and on. They did adjust my bill to credit me for half the room price, and I appreciate that since we did not rest well. It was a special trip for my wife's birthday and was supposed to be romantic but this popped that balloon. We had no energy the next day for sight seeing that we had planned. Upon checkout in the morning, I was not asked about the stay nor was eye contact made with me. They seemed very unfriendly. I received a follow up automatic email to the GM's address and I told the whole story. I would have thought an apology might be emailed to me, but I have never heard a word, and this says he doesn't care, sadly.

I may try the hotel again sometime but will be careful about what room I am in as EVERY room overlooking the atrium has the noise. The hotel can do better in customer relations but is a classic so maybe that is the price you pay to stay in such a place.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking the atrium if you want to sleep.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Howell, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

I stayed here for the Octoberfest that takes place in Cincinnati (which I highly suggest) I was only here for one night. The price is a little high, but the hotel is great. It is a very old hotel and has that feel to it. The room was nice a very good size. It also had a fridge which was very nice as well. Staying here you can basically walk anywhere in the area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
West Chester, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I knew the location was going to be convenient to just about everything in downtown Cincinnati. I also knew that this was an older hotel. So, I wasn't really sure if it would satisfy. But, the place has real charm that isn't there in many newer hotels. The rooms are just as nice as any newer hotel. The service is wonderfully efficient and friendly. My wife and I spent the night here as part of a weekend getaway, even though we could have driven home after dinner. It's a block from the Aronoff Center where we saw a Saturday afternoon performance of "Jersey Boys". We were across the street from Fountain Square where we checked out the ice skating rink and the Christmas tree. Then we walked down the block, around the corner, and one more block to The Blue Wisp for dinner and jazz.

Room Tip: Rooms that don't overlook the restaurant and bar in the courtyard would be quieter, if you'v...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Cincinnatus, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I've always heard such great things about the hotel so I had high expectations for our first stay here. The Cincinnatian did not disappoint. We booked the AMEX special that included an upgrade. Our room was very tastefully appointed and spacious! Beautiful wood floors, large entryway with a desk, sitting area in the bedroom and separate vanity spaces. The hotel is within walking distance of many downtown attractions, too. If you are looking for a high-end hotel that's well worth the price, I encourage you to stay here.

• Stayed December 2012
Broomfield, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

The Cincinnatian has done some great room reservations over the last couple years. Being on the historic registry of hotels just adds to the charm. At night you will want to walk only to the south of the hotel as a few blocks north can still be questionable. The rooms are clean and the latest room I stayed in was newly renovated. It had hard wood floors, and a nicely finished bathroom with duel shower heads. I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Cincinnati for business or pleasure. The staff is helpful and never have problems.

Room Tip: Make sure that your room is one that has been remodeled as those are the best.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Rockford, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We received a complimentary upgrade and had a nice room with a vaulted ceiling. We enjoyed the complimentary shuttle which we took the University of Cincinnati for a football game which was extremely convenient.Also, the lounge was very fun with a good live jazz band and tasty drinks.Service was extremely friendly and efficient.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I travel to Cincinnati for work quite often and usually stay at the Westin because of its rewards program and for the fact it is very modern and clean. However, when it was full I ended up booking at the Cincinnatian. What a beautiful hotel! If you are looking for new and cookie cutter this is not the place for you. This hotel has wonderful character to it, the rooms are quite large and the staff was VERY friendly.

Although the hotel is quite old, it is very well kept and very comfortable. A few highlights were that they have a snack menu that you can order off of all night which is great when you are working late, the gym was basic but more than I needed, and it is in walking distance to most places you need to go.

I would highly suggest this hotel for anyone who is looking for something smaller and more personal.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Cincinnatian Hotel? Share your experiences!