“Loved my Visit” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cincinnatian Hotel

Save Saved
You added Cincinnatian Hotel to your Saves list
Cincinnatian Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   601 Vine St, Cincinnati, OH 45202 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel packages
Special Rate
Free room upgrade
Ranked #15 of 49 hotels in Cincinnati
Louisville, Ky
“Loved my Visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

Weekend visit in February was wonderful. Staying at the Cincinnatian made it extra special. We stayed in a renovated king room. It was very spacious on the 5th floor and faced the street. The bathroom was mable and tile and well appointed. The oval deep tub was splendid with sinks in the bathroom and dressing area. The room itself was vary spacious. It include a mini bar, desk and couch. The bed was very comfortable. I arrived at the hotel in time to enjoy happy hour at the Cricket Lounge. Drinks and hotwings were good and priced well. One evening we had a late dinner at the Cricket Lounge. The Salmon dinner was excellent. The Jazz Trio is a very talented group. It was vey enjoyable. The free wireless was problem free. We thought the valet parking was overly priced so we self parked in the Fountain Square Garage - just one block over. The staff was very nice. I asked to see a non renovated room and they had no problem. The room was smaller, tube television and average bath. But it was bad at all. This if our first choice when staying in Cincinnati.

481 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Cincinnati
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

Even as a native Cincinnatian, I have stayed at the Cincinnatian Hotel and think it is the best in town. I think it's probably a bit pricier than some of the other downtown hotels, but not by much and it's certainly worth it.

The rooms and bathrooms are clean, spacious and beautiful. The beds are super comfortable. The service is quick and polite. The front desk staff at all hours of the day and night are always very friendly. The location - just one block from Fountain Square - could not be better.

Thankfully, the amenities have all been upgraded, yet the historic qualities of the rooms and the building - inside and out - have been beautifully preserved. The building itself is a work of art. The little touches, like real metal room keys instead of flimsy key cards, are so charming. The Cricket bar/lounge and Palace restaurant downstairs are among the best in the city (if not The Best, after the sad departure of the Maisonette a few years ago!).

I have stayed at the Hilton, Fountain Square Westin and Marriott RiverCenter in Covington. The Cincinnatian is still my #1 choice.

Room Tip: We didn't ask for a specific room, but ours was on a middle floor on the Vine Street side near t...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Columbia, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

Stayed here again last night and absolutely adore the place. I am particularly fond of the health facility. Small but I'd say room for room just about the best I've seen. Free-weight dumbells, stairmaster, treadmill, nautilus and a scouring hot sauna to scour away the few calories you may have left on the treadmill. Complimentary bottled water and a scale to boot so you can check your results available in the same guest-only accessible room. The only concern I had was that the health facility was located in the lobby level so I felt compelled to dress-up before making the trek to excercise. The lobby is half-marble and half-carpet, with a very cozy fireplace on one side of it where I was able to relax with my morning coffee as I waited for my ride. I thought the cocktail server at the bar - christie or Kristen - was very pleasant and the happy hour burger was only $5 bucks - not bad! All in all a smooth, comfortable and easy place to take a load off. My room was small but clean - all I needed for 2 nights in this suprisingly beautiful, midwestern town. I took a jog and would recommend the wonderful Sawyer Point park down by the river.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

I only stayed one night at this fine establishment. I loved the room, and the deep tub was an awesome touch! The beds were very comfy, and we enjoyed listening to the jazz band play. Everyone was really nice. I highly recommend this hotel.

Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

we stayed in rm 802, we had a 2 person whirlpool jacuzzi in the very large bathroom, a fireplace and balcony. Although we liked having a fireplace, it was not worth paying extra just for that. However the jacuzzi and balcony were very nice. The balcony was inside and on Saturday night we kept our door opened and heard the jazz playing from the lounge. top notch place to stay. ipod dock, very comfortable bed, marble bathroom

Frankfort, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Stayed at the Cincinnatian for a late Valentine's weekend. We got there a bit early, so had to wait for the room to be ready. I had asked for an exterior King Deluxe, but the first available was an interior room over the lounge. They warned me that there would be live jazz until 11 pm, but shouldn't be too loud. We expected to be out fairly late, and I like jazz anyway so no problem.

The room was nice, not huge, comfortable bed, deep tub, minibar, etc. We went out to dinner at Jimmy G's (fantastic place!) and came back around 10. Could hear the music, but wasn't a problem.

Next morning, we lounged around until about 10am then my wife went to take a soak in the tub. No hot water. I called the desk and they said they would check with engineering but they were fully booked and everyone was showering at once. I checked back about 45 minutes later and they said they were aware of the problem and engineering was working on it. They offered us a late check out, but we had to go without showering.

At checkout, we mentioned the problem and our displeasure, and the staff person I had talked to said they would comp our room. That was appreciated, but the water problem really tainted our experience. I understand it's an old hotel, but with all the renovations something like this could have been prevented.

You might ask on check in if they are going to be full booked and plan an early shower!

Room Tip: Deluxe King room was nice, but the Executive Deluxe has all the really nice amenities.
Anderson, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

To be transparent, we purchased our hotel room through Hotwire, so when we arrived it was evident that we heard several people ahead of us 'getting upgrades' and when we checked in we were simply handed our room assignment without question or comment. The price you pay for a room speaks to the room you get.

There are apparently two types of rooms in this historical hotel - those that have been renovated and are awesome, and those that have been updated but are still dated and small. Be prepared if you purchase through Hotwire, you will be given a small room with a queen-bed, moldy shower heads, fraying carpets, smaller room, almost dangerous shower situation, stiff sheets, no coffee makers, no ice on the floor, gross scale from the 80's, tiny glasses in the room, a small TV with poor sound, and thin walls. There is no way I would consider this a 4 star hotel, let alone a 4.5. 3.0 would be generous with the room we had. The common features were not visible enough to over-ride the fairly 'generic' experience we had with this room and hotel.

When you purchase through Hotwire, hotels have the opportunity to 'convert' these lower paying visitors to repeat visitors, when will they learn that by giving you the worst room we really won't ever return?

To add injury to insult, when we checked out I was asked if everything was to my satisfaction - I replied (for the first time ever) 'it was just ok' - another staff member stepped forward, looked at the computer screen that was visible to the check out individual, then stepped back without saying a word or attempting to ask or inquire what was 'only ok'. Perhaps they saw we were 'Hotwire' customers and knew what room we were in! We won't return = ever.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
DanBrookbank, Manager at Cincinnatian Hotel, responded to this review, February 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. The constructive criticism we receive from our guests is very important. It is, in fact, the most effective way we can discover what we did wrong. Athough I am pleased that our staff inquired about your stay, I find it inexplicable that the only comment they would make on the matter is "o.k." I assure you that your having booked with hotwire had no bearing on their reaction. However, to have been so curt is certainly beyond the pale of good cusotomer service and not at all represenative of the stellar customer service that every Cincinnatian Hotel guest should expect and deserves. I will assure you that such behavior is definitely an aberration from the The Cincinnatian Hotel's commitment to service. Clearly we have some work to do with our Front Office agents and your remarks will assist us greatly in this effort.
Insofar as our accommodations are concerned, we have a wide range of varying room types, which run the gamut from the most basic to absolutely the best and most luxurious suites and deluxe bedrooms that the city of Cincinnati has to offer. It is true that most of our rooms were very full on the night in question; and it is also true that your particular room was not one of our more recently renovated, although we thank you for pointing out that upgrades are available. Unfortunately, similar to most hotels, we can only provide upgrades up and until we run out of them.
Also, however, we do not wish for you to walk away from The Cincinnatian Hotel with such low expectations; nor do we want others reading such a post to expect any less. The truth is that we do sell rooms at many different price points. We are an historic property and we are constantly renovating our rooms. Some truly prefer something basic and simple while others need not worry about booking something more elaborate or asking for an upgrade.

Therefore I truly hope that one day we are fortunate to have your business again. I applaud you for your very appropriate admonition and advice and will seek to follow it wholeheartedly: Every time a guest stays at The Cincinnatian Hotel is very much indeed an opportunity to welcome them back during a future stay. I hope you understand that making amends for the anonymous unhappiness of another if not given the opportunity to do so looks to be a very difficult task. Hence it is my sincere wish that you contact me directly at the hotel so that I may personally attend to your frustrations. In the meantime, I wish you nothing but happy travels and pleasurable stays. Dan Brookbank

Been to Cincinnatian Hotel? Share your experiences!