“Old Europe With Modern Aesthetics” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cincinnatian Hotel

Save Saved
You added Cincinnatian Hotel to your Saves list
Cincinnatian Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   601 Vine St, Cincinnati, OH 45202 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel packages
Special Rate
Free room upgrade
Ranked #15 of 49 hotels in Cincinnati
Houston, Texas
“Old Europe With Modern Aesthetics”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

It has been years since I have been to Cincinnati but I needed to come back to Ohio for a funeral and decided to stay in Cincinnati versus Dayton (where I’m originally from and where my parents still live). The funeral services were a little closer to Cincy and because of the lack of nonstop flights to Dayton at this point, it made the choice easier (especially since I was able to get a 25,000 round trip mileage ticket at the last minute).

When I started looking for places to stay I immediately found, "The Cincinnatian" on several travel review sites. In all my years in Ohio and multiple trips to Cincinnati over the years I had never heard of it in spite of it having been here for many years. It is a beautiful, historic hotel and considered on the "boutique" side at this point.

I decided to save 30% on my stay and booked an upgraded room classified as an, "Executive Deluxe King". It was a "pay-in-full at the time of booking" rate but I was very pleased with the rate discount for the 3 nights.

Unfortunately I had to rent a car so I could drive to the funeral services while I was here. So when I arrived out front of the hotel, the valet was quick to get me in and immediately took my vehicle to the lot with no problems. The cost of the valet parking (with unlimited in/out privilege’s was $24 a day).

Upon arrival the staff was extremely attentive and the front desk representative really did a great job reviewing my reservation, the rate, and other tidbits. He also gave a quick briefing about the hotel and the services available. Once that was complete he handed me an old, brass key that is still used. I thought it would be a drag but I actually quite liked it for a change.

I immediately went up to my room as I was eager to see it. I had been told at the front desk during check-in that my room had been renovated in the last few weeks prior to my arrival. As soon as I opened the door I could smell the fresh pain, flooring, etc. The little sitting area had very nice, new, modern furniture and the bed was really nice as were the linens (I hear they were 400 thread count but not sure). Then I went into the bathroom which I had seen online and WOW, just WOW!! The shower was huge and had two rainshower heads on the ceiling as well as several side nozzles which created a full-around shower experience. Within the first 5 hours I was in the hotel I was in the shower twice! There was also a very nice Jacuzzi tub marble/granite trims and a really great vanity/sink area. The bathroom also had a flat screen TV up in one corner and a huge, elaborate stereo system with a CD player built into one wall of the bathroom. The towels and bath soaps/shampoos/lotions were incredible and very high-end. As for the bed itself, I slept like a baby and it was VERY comfortable. All the light switches on the walls had dimmers so you could adjust as needed. There were also several table lamps (which I prefer over ceiling lights). In the closet was a very small safe which locked by an additional key. This was a little annoying because it wasn’t big enough for my laptop or iPad…it was literally big enough for passports, wallets, etc. But at least it was something and it didn’t hinder my experience whatsoever. The HUGE flat screen TV in the main room was built into a giant dresser drawer and storage unit. There was a remote near the bedside which actually lowered the TV into the unit and could be completely stowed if necessary. I thought it was interesting that such a feature was in a
room like this but I suppose it was cool.

I ordered room service several times while at the hotel. The first time was simply to have a tea service sent up. I was expecting $12-15 for some tea bags and hot water. But they sent up several tea bags, a large carafe of hot water, lemons, sugar, cream and nice linens and cups. And get this, this bill came to $5.00 and some change! They basically just charged for the tea bags I was told. So I had tea sent up two other times while I was at the hotel. I also had a couple of side dishes from the dinner menu for a late dinner/snack one evening that was incredible. Fried green tomatoes and a couple of other tidbits which I loved. The prices of the menu and service was very, very reasonable and in fact, some of the most reasonable prices I’ve ever seen for room service.

Overall I would HIGHLY recommend, "The Cincinnatian" if your travels take you to Cincinnati. It was a huge surprise to find such a place and I was extremely pleased with the service, accommodations, food, and pretty much everything. I can’t wait to stay here again sometime in the future.

Room Tip: Spend just a little extra and opt-in for a Business King Deluxe room! It's AMAZING! The bathro...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

485 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Lebanon, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

Old world manners, elegant public areas, immaculate rooms, and stately architecture are just a few of the reasons I love this hotel. Just spent a lovely 20th anniversary weekend there. When I made our hotel reservation, I also made The Palace restaurant reservation (see my review). But when we checked in, apparently our restaurant res was lost. Now, it was Super Bowl weekend (hotel full, with lots of SB attendees staying there), and The Palace was going to be Super busy. But the maitre d still got us in at 6:15 (my original time was 6:15), with much apology.

Happy hour at the Cricket Lounge: we ordered a glass of wine, 2 beers, and a platter of hot wings:$12. Sat next to the tuxedoed jazz trio - fabulous. Then dressed for dinner (should wear a jacket and slacks, minimally, to The Palace) in our nicely appointed room.

After dinner, the maitre d sent an assistant to our room with a thick envelope containing a sweet e.e. cummings poem about love and a $35 gift certificate to The Palace in honor of our anniversary. Look, I'm not a regular here - can't afford it. But I take the time to tell hard working people how much I appreciate their efforts, and I think that goes a long way. That's how I'd like to be treated, anyway.

Room accessories: mini bar, deep oval bath tub, luxurious white down bed coverings, thick white robes, and a window over the lounge so we could fall asleep to the jazz trio. Verrry romantic. I've stayed in most of the downtown hotels, and this is by FAR my favorite!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Oregon, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

I have nothing but good things to say about the Cincinnatian. I had requested a room with a nice view as we were on an anniversary trip. We were given an upgrade to a King Deluxe on the top floor, which was great. The staff were super friendly and the location was great. We were only blocks from great restaurants and the Taft Theatre. Would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Frisco, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

I have stayed at the CIncinnatian 5-6 times for business over the past 8 months. It is a lovely old hotel with a lot of charm - antiques, crooked floors, real keys. The rooms have a bit of a "Forrest Gump" factor - you never know what you are going to get. Sometimes the room is huge with a massive, mable bathroom with a two headed shower. Sometimes the room feels like a dark back closet with a cranky heating system.

The gym has nice equipment and plenty of bottled water. The space is fairly small, but there has never been more than 2-3 people in there when I was there so it didn't feel too crowded. They have a famous restuarant in the lobby, but I have never eaten there nor have I seen a lot of people in there. The menu at the bar is very nice and all of the food that I have had there has been very good. Very friendly staff in the bar, too.

One thing that I found odd is that other than one waitress, I have never been acknowledged as a return visitor. Not a huge deal as everyone has been super friendly, but it would be nice to know that they appreciate the business when there are a lot of other good options - like the Westin - right around the corner.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Versailles, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012 via mobile

What a treat! Beautiful rooms, excellent service, & great breakfast! Can't wait to come back!

• Stayed January 2012
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012 via mobile

So I have been travelling for business for 17 years and have stayed at some amazing properties but until this trip to Cincy missed The Cincinnatian. This is by far a top three hotel in the midwest and one of my personal top three worldwide.

The rooms are spotless, the beds are truly comfortable with high thread count crisp linens. The bathrooms are really high end and gorgeous. The best part though is the service. I can not sing the praises of the desk staff more.

The room service is also prompt and delicious. In all my reviews I have never given 5's across the board. Forget the big boys nearby (Hilton, Westin). They are ok but for a little more this place is well worth the splurge!

To the management you are something rare in Ohio these days PLEASE keep it up. You have a customer for life.

• Stayed January 2012
Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

Stayed here recently on business with a couple colleagues. The hotel is well situated near good restaurants, bars, and the theater. My colleagues stayed in recently updated rooms with flat screens and nicer bathrooms, but were located near the elevator. I prefer to be away from the noise makers and was put in an older room with an old tv with a broken volume button on the remote and with a bathroom in need of a remodel. It was comfortable until being awakened by the sanitation engineers rattling the dumpsters at 5 am under my window. The fitness room is small but adequate. I'd probably give it another shot, but try a different room. Rating - 3.5 stars.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Been to Cincinnatian Hotel? Share your experiences!