“For the price, worked well for Childrens Hospital parents.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #33 of 49 hotels in Cincinnati
Cincinnati, Ohio
“For the price, worked well for Childrens Hospital parents.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

Our daughter as at the Cincinnati Childrens Hospital for a 5 night, two surgery stay this past week. After the first two nights, we decided to try and find a room close by instead of having two vehicles making 80 mile round trip drives. There are other hospitals close by as well including University Hospital, Shriner's Hospital for Children, and the VA Medical Center.

Since you are fairly close to downtown Cincinnati, the prices we found were pretty ridiculous. There was a little Holiday Inn Express right at the Mitchell Ave. / I-75 exit that was asking over $100 a night! We're talking far from an upscale neighborhood here.

We found this Quality Inn in Norwood - an easy 8-10 minute non-interstate drive from the hospital - aprox. 3.5 miles depending on which route you take. Our cost per night including ALL taxes was just over $65 including breakfast. This was for a Fri, Sat. Sun. nights' stay.

The hotel itself was okay. Room was rather small with no fridge, microwave etc, but the beds were comfy and clean. Not good soundproofing but we didn't have any real issues with sound. My husband and I took turns sleeping at the hospital / hotel room at night, so I'm only speaking from my experience - but then, my hubby would sleep through a nuclear war :) I was awakened at 1am one night when a group of guys in the connecting room (door was closed and locked) had a loud conversation. They weren't vulgar or fighting or anything - just loud. I walked over to the connecting door and coughed a few times to alert them that someone was in the adjoining room. They immediately got quieter and they were totally quiet within about 20 minutes.

The shower worked fine. Nothing fancy, but clean and drained good. The lobby and common areas were clean, though just a little on the dark and dated side. Our non-smoking room did not have a smoke smell, but the elevators had a strong odor. Not a hotel where the staff was particularly knowledgeable or helpful. Not rude, just a bit clueless as I asked about a few surrounding businesses and driving routes. I will say that I got the same girl for both inquiries, so perhaps another desk clerk might have been more useful. I did not have the breakfast, so can't comment on the quality. I will say that the last clerk I had at check out ( a guy) inquired as I left (around 10:45 am) if I had a chance to have breakfast. I told him no, I had slept in, and he asked if I would like for him to give me some fruit or danish before I left. I declined, but it was a nice offer. There is a coffee maker in the room, as well as coffee and microwave available in the lobby.

There is a sliding patio door (we were on second floor) out to a good size balcony overlooking the parking area. Not scenic, but nice for getting some fresh air into the room. Locks on the patio door worked fine. Good light blocking drapes at the door.

Good supporting businesses around the area incluing a Kroger store, KFC, McDonalds, LaRosa's pizza, and Taco Bell. A decent mexican restaurant actually attached to the hotel and a Frisch's Big Boy right next door. Norwood Police station also right across the street. Definitely a more urban setting, but as a 50 yr. old woman there by herself, I felt safe. I will say that the deadbolt on my room door apparently did not work, although the door was automatically locked when closed. I still prefer a deadbolt / chain and there was not that option. I put my luggage rack with loaded suitcase directly in front of the door and slept like a baby.

For us, the biggest advantage was the proximity to the hospital and it worked perfectly for that. We simply couldn't afford the other places at over $100 a night. I rated the hotel as very good, and I'm thankful it was a decent place at an affordable price there for us when we needed it.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

119 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
brighton, mi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

I booked two rooms at this hotel for our service personnel. I actually booked two rooms twice. They were to stay Sun/Mon and return on Wed/Thur. They called me Monday and BEGGED me to cancel their upcoming stay. The rooms were FILTHY. There was dust on all furniture, dirty towels, hair in the shower, dirty carpet. The list went on. I felt horrible because going by the website it looks lovely. The service men travel constantly and said this was by far the most disgusting, filthy hotel they had ever seen.

Room Tip: Choose a room at a different hotel.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Greensboro, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011 via mobile

Use your money elsewhere of possible. Had to change rooms twice due to dirty room- dirty towels left in bathroom; dirty floors. Extremely worn furniture. Breakfast was inedible. Not a good value

• Stayed August 2011
Gibbstown, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

No doubt this hotel has seen better days and public areas (lobby, pool area, LL floor) could be upgraded, but since I only walk by them I will not comment. The price I paid was under $60/nt. I stayed in room 212 (photos attached) and found it to be clean and neat. The furniture is a little worn, but things like the towels and sheets where soft and very clean. The bathroom was in great shape with modern fixtures. The TV was the old style tube, but again worked well. Housekeeping did a great job each day keeping the room looking clean and neat. The room are quiet...it looks like the floors are cement so sound does not carry.

The hotel has a workout room with basic equipment. The outdoor pool is seasonal, but not in the best location. There is a free breakfast with a level just above basic, but not the worst I have ever had. The LL floor had many reception rooms but the area now appears to be unused. The LL does have something useful...a barber shop that opens about 7 a.m. with people lined up to use it. Parking a tight in front of the building but no problem in the rear.

Also note this hotel is really located in Norwood, OH, just the at north-east edge of Cincinnati.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Brookfield
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

Building needs to go! The sheets were so dirty I slept in my plain clothe on the bed ! The shower was so dirty I did not take a shower, the carpet is so stained you wonder what the original color was! Stay away from this hotel at all cost!

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Van Wert
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

Service was okay at best. There were 2 women at reception and both appeared too busy to help us out when we arrived. The room was very spacious, but not very clean. No vent in the bathroom, if you took a warm shower and didn't watch out, you would set off the fire alarm in the room. Hotel was located just minutes from shopping, restaurants and entertainment. Hotel seemed old and outdated. Kind of pricey for a bed to sleep in.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Louisville, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

We decided to take a long weekend to Cincinnati in the fall of 2009 as a last little vacation before baby. We chose this hotel because it sounded like a pretty good deal. Wrong. The first night we were there was ok. Half the pool was dirty because the skimmers on that side didn't work. The second night was awful. I apparently dropped some crumbs from my granola bar i was eating. Within 30 minutes, there were ants all around the bed and on me. We went to the front desk to complain and waited about 20 minutes before we were waited on. We were finally given another room. When we went to the new room, our room key wouldn't work and I could hear a TV on in the room. We went back to the desk and were told no one was in that room. The night manager came with us and when the key wouldn't work, he got the maintenance guy and they knocked on the door and confronted the people in the room (with us still standing there) who apprently were supposed to be there. We were then told there was only a smoking room left. Being pregnant and asthmatic, I said we would stay somewhere else. Magically another non smoking room was available. We asked for some sort of discount for all the trouble and he offered 10% off. The next morning at check out, I said something to the day manager who couldn't believe what we went through and gave us one night free. She was the best part of this experience. I've learned you get what you pay for and now I'm willing to pay more.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Quality Hotel & Suites Central? Share your experiences!