“Nice but overrated and noisy” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza

Save Saved
You added Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza to your Saves list
Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   35 West Fifth Street, Cincinnati, OH 45202 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Instant Getaway
Ranked #6 of 49 hotels in Cincinnati
Annandale, Virginia
“Nice but overrated and noisy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2009

My husband and I stayed here over the July 4th weekend. We picked this place because he had a lot of Hilton Honor points and we got to stay free. If we had to pay for our room, the lowest rate I could find on the Internet was $96 per night although I have read reviews here that said the rooms could be obtained for much less. The Netherlands Plaza is a historic hotel, probably almost 100 years old, quite elegant inside and located right in downtown Cincinnati, near their famous Fountain Square. It has a good reputation. We thought it would be a pretty fancy place since it is rated as a four star hotel. I stayed here in 2004 and found it quite luxurious and had a very large room. It was quiet and I got room service which was quite nice. When we stayed here in July 2009, I found things to be a little different. The hotel is still elegant, but our "mini-suite" that we were given I found to be quite small. There was a sofa and two chairs and the regular bedroom furniture but it sure didn't feel roomy. The main problem was the walls were paper thin. You would expect thick walls for an older historic hotel but this one has either been renovated with thin walls or perhaps it has always been that way. We were unfortunate to be next to a group of teenagers that were banging doors all night between their two rooms and were quite loud and had their TV on loud. I could hear every word of conversation and everything on the TV. My husband, who is a sound sleeper, did not hear anything or it didn't bother him. He also always brings earplugs when he travels (good idea for the future). I thought it would do no good to complain because we were all unpacked and by the time we got back to our room after dinner it was pretty late. But all the noise was not pleasant. We were only there for one night so did not take advantage of their facilities (exercise room, dining rooms, etc) although we could have. Valet parking was $21--we parked across the street for $15 for 24 hours, which is still too much if you ask me. The dining facilities are very pricey in the hotel. The location is good, but Cincinnati's downtown has gone downhill in the past few years (I used to live here 30 years ago and it used to be a fabulous city downtown). Most of the local stores are gone, there are not nearly as many nice places to eat downtown. There are few places to eat for breakfast in the morning. There is shopping around the hotel. It is just a few minutes walk to the sports stadiums which is great. The clientile at the hotel did not look especially upscale, I saw some well dressed people but also a lot of fairly working class people, the same that one might expect at the Motel 6. (Nothing against Motel 6--we usually stay at those facilities and have found them actually to be a lot more quiet than the Netherland Plaza and more value for the money). I have to say the room was spotlessly clean and the bathroom very clean. They have upscale shampoo and the like and thick towels. The room furnishings were nice and what I saw, the hotel lobby looked nice. The king bed was comfortable. The check-in process was quick and efficient; the staff at the registration desk very nice. You can park in front of the hotel for a moment and have your luggage taken up to your room (of course this requires a tip). I would say our experience was OK, the paper thin walls and noise in the hallway and in the adjoining rooms ruined my stay for me. I would stay here again but only if I could get a really good price. Because our night was free, I guess I can't complain too much but it took a lot of points to stay here--Hilton Honors rates it a category 5 hotel which means it takes more points to stay here than their other hotels. I think the hotel is living on its past reputation, yet, it costs less to stay here than some newer (and probably nicer) hotels in the area. You get what you pay for.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

1,071 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
St. Louis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

Attending a Reds/Cardinal game, arrived earlier than check-in but hotel offered to hold our luggage and called us when room was ready while we attended the game. Upon arrival after game, bellhop quickly brought our luggage to the room. Rooms were large considering it was 2 double beds, however the bathroom was very small. The valet service was quick. The biggest disappointment was that the pool was part of a gym and was only open until 8:00 p.m. and did not look anything like the pictures on the website.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2009

The hotel itself is pretty darn good. Then again, the hotel itself was overshadowed by the valet(s) who stole my $300 sunglasses out of my car. Sure, they say that 'they're not responsible for things left in the car', but why shouldn't a person be able to trust that no one will steal something from a hard to find compartment and even tear through a bag of dirty clothes like something of value would be amongst them. I was (still am) pissed to say the least, because who knows what other shady folks on the staff have access to your stuff.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2009

On the plus side, this hotel has: an excellent restaurant; beautiful art deco decor; and prompt, courteous valet parking service. There is a salon/spa across the street where we were able to get a reasonably priced couples massage. Our visit was over Memorial Day weekend. When we checked in, we were given a very small room with queen size bed, even though a king size bed had been requested. I then asked for any upgraded room they had available at any price. We were moved to a slightly larger room with a queen size bed. There was a food and music festival going on in the street next to the hotel until 11:00 pm, and then there were loud people in the hallways at night. We weren't aware that there would be a festival in the street next to the hotel. We would have stayed elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2009

Good:
-Staff
-Location
-Great historical look

Bad:
-Tiny Room
-King bed, turned out to be a full

This tiny room only has six inches of space between the bed and the chest of drawers. You can not fully open the drawers or walk around the bed. The lack of space isn't because there is a big bed in a small room, the bed was was a full, not a king that I had reserved. A king size bed can not fit in that room. Even with a small bed there wasn't enough room to pull out the footstool that fits under the chair. It's a small room.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Canton,Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

I have had the good fortune of staying at this hotel twice now and have been impressed with the staff, location and rooms . I have stayed at other places in town, but I will continue staying at this property. They welcomed me as a returning guest, asked where in the hotel I wanted to stay and gave the impression that they cared about my confort during the stay. The hotel is a quick walk to the stadiums or downtown dining options. Valet service was prompt, room service was excellent and the cleaning staff was spot on.

We had one small issue with the remote control vanishing after cleaning service, but within minutes of a phone call a new remote was at my door.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to staying again in the future.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
cincinnati
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2009

I stayed at Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza the last week of April 2009. I was bitten by bed bugs and had many bites. The hotel acknowledged finding a bug under box spring. To get as many bites as I had there was more than one bug.
After I got home I mentioned to co worker that I had been bitten on this work trip. This person sent me a web site from NBC Channel 5 news in Cincinnati. The site had a story of a women who had stayed in this same Hilton in January 2008 and was bitten all over her body.
I am still in shock that a 4 star hotel had bed bug infestation.
To make matters worse I had to have house exterminated which was a horrific process of cleaning out all cabinets and washing and drying all washable clothes and all non washable clothing items had to put in dryer on high for 15 minutes. Exterminators need house emptied so they can spray on bed mattress and box springs, closets and all edges of walls and in closets as well as wood cabinets.
Watch out for hotels with bed bug reports these can be your worst nightmare if you get exposed.

Been to Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza? Share your experiences!