Stayed at the Hilton and two other downtown hotels recently as Total Rewards members. The rooms and valet parking at all three were all comped by the Horseshoe Casino and all three of the rooms: the Hilton, the Cincinnatian and the 21C were standard rooms.
The three hotels have comparable amenities, but the Cincinnatian is currently our favorite- mostly due to the tiny standard rooms at the Hilton and 21C that are uncomfortable as two people cannot pass each other in the room or bath without the other having to move aside. The room size aside the rooms at all three hotels were nicely furnished with the exceptions being the old carpet at the Hilton and the wood flooring at the Cincinnatian.
The bathrooms in the Hilton and the 21C were as tiny as the rooms, but had all the expected amenities. The bath though is another major area where the CH stood out from the Hilton and the 21C. The bath at the CH was spacious with a vanity area with a large closet and safe and a large shower and toilet area with a large walk-in shower with two shower heads. Contrast that with the tight bath at the Hilton. We also didn't care for the pedestal sink in the Hilton because you could barely fit a cup for the coffee maker under the faucet. The toilet was tightly squeezed. The shower at the Hilton was ok- had a curtain enclosure, but the towels were high quality compared to the CH and the 21C. The shower in the 21C was good- the attraction in the 21C bath were the unique artsy tiles.
An area where the Hilton and 21C rank ahead of the Cincinnatian is the lack of a coffee maker in the CH. The Hilton and the 21C offered tea selections also.
The room in the Hilton had a nice view of the river and Paul Brown Stadium while the room in the CH faced the interior and you could hear noise from the lobby. The 21C room faced another building and had no view.
Wi-Fi at the Hilton was free in lobby areas but there was an in room charge unless you were a platinum HH member. Had trouble with the free wireless at the 21C but that might be our old laptop. The CH had free wi-fi also.
All three hotels had excellent fitness rooms. The 21C had machines with wi-fi, internet, music, etc. Water and headphones were provided as were bathrooms. The Hilton fitness room is associated with the Carew Tower, had tons of machines and free weights and was complimentary to Hilton guests. Ranking the three; 21C, Hilton, Cincinnatian.
The Hilton and CH lobbies are more traditional with a concierge. The lobby of the 21C is European and eclectic, but is small and if you are a fan of hotel lobbies you will not be comfortable there.
All three hotels are close to Fountain Square, local and national restaurants; Rock Bottom, Panera, etc. and for the healthy a nice walk to the ballparks, museums, and the casino.
There is a Walgreens and CVS across the street from each other only a block or so from all three hotels and they sell cold beer. All three of the hotels will put a refrigerator in your room for no charge if you request one when you make your reservation.
Be prepared- unlike the Hilton and the CH, the 21C has no ice maker. You have to ring the desk for ice.
As for the casino it is a nice experience but the slots seem tight and the table games have high minimums. There is no Spanish 21, Single or Double Deck Blackjack, side bets or surrender option. The table comps are non-existent but the prize comps are plenty. Be advised if you need a new card or replacement card the Total Rewards line is always full. Food choices are plenty but get old after a few visits.
Warning: Wear or at least take a jacket or sweater to the casino because it is cold enough to keep meat fresh.
The shuttle to and from the casinos is hit or miss. The are trying to work out the kinks so they change the schedule every time we go- making it difficult to catch without a lot of down time standing outside your hotel or at the casino. The hotels are just as confused as the driver's and they don't listen to the driver's recommendations on what might work best. The current arrangement is before 4pm it only runs every hour and stops at all 12 associated hotels which explains why it takes an hour. It is actually faster to walk or consider leaving the valet at your hotel and just drive. But that defeats the purpose of the shuttle.
One item of note is the casino does provide transportation from the casino to hotels in emergencies and will transport to the airport if not busy even if you are not a high roller.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 1. Opened in 1931, this updated National Historic Landmark and charter member of Historic Hotels of America is one of the world's finest examples of French art deco in existence. Located within Carew Tower with shops & restaurants and centrally located across from Fountain Square. Within four blocks of 90+ shops, restaurants, bars and attractions including Great American Ball Park and Paul Brown Stadium. One block from Duke Energy Convention Center and connected via skywalk. Renovated guestrooms feature mini fridge, safe, wifi access, flat-screen tvs with expanded high-definition programming, new seating, sound dampening blackout curtains and soft goods. Award-winning on-site dining including Forbes Four Star rated Orchids at Palm Court, named #7 Best Restaurant in the USA (OpenTable, 2014); casual dining in The Grille at Palm Court; relaxed fare, signature cocktails & private label microbrew in The Bar at Palm Court. Complimentary access to The Gym at Carew Tower, a 13,000 sq ft fitness facility located in hotel's lower level, with a pool, Jacuzzi, 10+ treadmills, 10+ ellipticals, free weights and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Priceline, Hilton Hotels, Hotels.com, Reservation Counter, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza Hotel Cincinnati
- Hilton Hotel Cincinnati
- Cincinnati Hilton
- Hilton Netherland Plaza Hotel Cincinnati
- Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza Ohio