“Recommended” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza

You added Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza to your Saves list
Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   35 West Fifth Street, Cincinnati, OH 45202 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Instant Getaway
Ranked #7 of 48 Hotels in Cincinnati
Lelystad, The Netherlands
“Recommended”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

The hotel is situated just a minute walking from the central Fountain square in downtown Cincinnati. The general inside appearance is definitely “classical”, with lots of dark panels, shiny decorations and a lot of art deco style. One can easily picture oneself being projectiled into the 30s of last century. Fortunately I had a suite, since collegues mentioned their room being quite small. My 2 (!) bathrooms were small, too, with barely space to put my travelling necessities: evidently the suite was created by just installing a door between two adjacent rooms, without any further renovation. Check-in was swift. Sound insulation is very good: hardly any sounds from outside can be heard. Internet (free to Hhonors Gold and Platinum) is not very expensive, costing just some $ 5 a day. A nice touch, at least in my room, was the extra block of 6 wall outlets available right under the desk: often in hotels there are way too few outlets!
Friendly staff and swift service: the shades in my room were blocked in the “down-position” making my room very dark, but this was fixed within minutes after calling the front desk.
I cannot comment on the food in the Orchids restaurant. Dinner menu options seemed a bit above average, with entrees starting at $ 26, but then, around the Fountain square there are ample alternatives if you’re on a budget.
Breakfast buffet choice was rather limited: mostly sweets and the usual hot items, but no assorted cheeses, cold meats, smoked salmon, tomatoes and the like.
There were no free water bottles in the room: I have stayed in many Hilton or related hotels as a Gold or Platinum member and this is the first time as far as I can remember. Coming from Europe I definitely do not appreciate the chlorinated tap water in the US. Fortunately free bottles were available in the Belvedere, the Executive lounge on the 16th floor. Then again, other than in European (notably German) Hilton hotels, alcoholic beverages were available only for a charge. Also, unlike in Europe, that lounge is closed during the day (10 am – 4.30 pm) and after 10 pm. Too bad, since the lounge is the only place with an outside sun deck!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Grand hotel with a great staff. The rooms are nice, clean, and quiet. Great location and the hotel is in outstanding shape and oozes history. We had a couple of cocktails in the bar - nice selection and friendly staff and managers.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Milwaukee, WI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

What a great Art Deco building. The interior lobby and bar area are AMAZING original art deco decorations. The hotel is a typical old hotel, with a small bathroom and small room. The rooms have been updated with flat pannel tv, however the furnishings in the room are dated, circa 1994-ish. The room was very clean but is in need of an update to the decor. My small room had a full size bed and a desk, small chair and a TV stand, Fridge, Safe, and a coffee maker. Good WIFI connection too. My Hilton Honors membership got me two free bottles of water in my room too. They also had an amazing in hotel FIVE star restaurant in the hotel, Orchids, AMAZING service and world class foo

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
NetherlandPlaza, General Manager at Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
May 25, 2013

Tabitha77

Dear Tabitha77:

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your recent stay on TripAdvisor.

Let me begin by thanking you for selecting our hotel for your stay in Cincinnati!

Thank you too for your kind comments regarding Orchids at Palm Court, our award winning dining room. We also appreciate your recognition of the unique beauty of our hotel.

Thank you too for sharing your concerns with the guestroom décor. We will be refurbishing our guestrooms this summer as part of our ongoing improvement process. We look forward to the improvements that this will bring for our travelers. Thank you for sharing your comment!

Thank you again and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back whenever your travel plans return you.

Lexington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Our stay at this Hilton Hotel was one of the best so far! Arrival was easy, the stay was comfortable, check-in and check-out was seamless and everything went smooth! Next time we come to Cincinnati we are DEFINITELY coming back to THIS hotel!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Kansas City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Frist, this is an amazing hotel. If you like history, this is the hotel for you. The pros: it is downtown, there is ample parking ($15/daily) across the street, it is easy to navigate and get around, staff was extremely friendly, shopping and restaurants nearby. Cons: our room was a little small (we had a pack-and-play), but not terrible, the bed was not a king as requested, there is a party venue down the street that played loud music, but tolerable.

We should have requested a larger room as our friends with a child did when we got there. They were accommodating for our friends, we just didn't think about it. We really enjoyed the staff. They were friendly and answered all our questions.

I would recommend this hotel if you are visiting Cincinnati and want to stay in a fun location.

Room Tip: Request a larger room if you need one. Ours was smaller, but OK.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Cincinnati, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Charging for internet connectivity in this day is about as class-less as it gets...you can get free WIFI at Motel 6 or McDonalds...your policy is cheap and class-less for a fine, classy hotel. Waited 30 minutes for someone to come take bags to valet parking...After 30 minutes I called and they said it would be another 10 to 15 minutes...we dragged our own 9 bags to valet parking...dreadful service for a classy hotel...extremely displeased with both these issues and will not stay at a Hilton again because of this lack of respect and service... I have the feeling this is a Hilton Policy issue and not Netherland Plaza issue since when I asked about the interned connectivity issue at front desk, the clerk read response from a computer screen instead of speaking to me directly, which further irritated me. I am extremely displeased with the service I received during my stay at the Netherland Plaza!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

NetherlandPlaza, General Manager at Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
May 24, 2013

Dear Daniel R:

Thank you for speaking with me this morning regarding my correspondence to you and your experince at our hotel. I appreciad the addtional perspective you added.

Let me begin by again expressing our apology for your dissatisfaction.

As we discussed, the hotel offers complimentary wireless Internet service in the hotel lobby and in the restaurant. In addition, we have a complimentary business office in the hotel's lobby that is also accessible to our customers.

Thank you too for reiterating your observations about our front desk agent who checked you into the hotel. While I regret that he didn't make consistent eye contact with you, he was reviewing your account to see if you had purchased or were otherwise eligible for complimentary wireless Internet servicin the your guestroom. Nevertheless, we regret that this was a concern.

Thank you again and safe travels.

May 17, 2013

Dear Daniel R:

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me this morning. And thank you for complete our electronic guest evaluation form.

As a former Cincinnatian, I would welcome the chance to hear more about your experience. As I noted in our brief conversation, I was not aware that you had experienced a long delay with our bellman as you departed the hotel. From your description, it is obvious that our team did not call to apprise you of this delay. As I noted, we will remove $50.00 from your guestroom folio as a gesture of good faith in this matter.

I will be in and out of the office throughout the afternoon. I would welcome your additional feedback.

When your travel plans return you to Cincinnati, please contact my Assistant Julie Heink at Julie.Heink@Hilton.com and reference this letter. We will be happy to oversee your reservation and insure that your stay is very comfortable.

Cc: Matthew Coffey, Assistant General Manager
Julia Morgan, Director of Front Office Operations

May 17, 2013

Dear Daniel R:

Thank you for taking the time to speak with a member of our front office team during your stay. I wanted to take this opportunity to respond to you personally.

Let me begin by thanking you for choosing our hotel for your stay in Cincinnati with the Corbett/Wahler Wedding. As a leisure traveler, your comments are very important to us.

Please accept my apologies in addition to our team mates for the concerns that our pricing for guestroom Internet service caused you. We offer complimentary service in the hotel’s lobby and restaurant areas as well as through our business office in the hotel’s lobby. Our pricing for this service is comparable to our full service competitors in this market. And we find that many travelers are using their own Internet services and would prefer the lowest, unbundled guestroom rate. Nevertheless, we regret that this was a concern.

If you would like to review the matter further, please contact me at Michel.Sheer@Hilton.com.

Cc: Matthew Coffey, Assistant General Manager
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Stayed here for a conference, the hotel is absolutely stunning especially in the bar area and the restaurant. The rooms are exceptionally large for an older hotel and the bathrooms as well. Was really surprised by the amount of space in the rooms.
The hotel staff were extremely helpful - love staying at the HIlton! Provided me a disposable razor when I discovered I forgot one.
The only thing I would not recommend and hence the 4 stars - was the food at the hotel bar - perhaps it was what we ordered, but the lobster salad was far too salty and the other things we ordered were also not good. Unfortunately we didn't get a chance to eat at the restaurant - I think the food might have been better than the bar food.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor for a great view of the city Rooms are large and comfortable
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza? Share your experiences!