“Pleasant, Comfortable Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza

Save Saved
You added Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza to your Saves list
Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   35 West Fifth Street, Cincinnati, OH 45202 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Instant Getaway
Ranked #8 of 47 hotels in Cincinnati
Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina
“Pleasant, Comfortable Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I was in Cincinnati for three days attending a conference. As others have indicated, some of the rooms are significantly smaller than others. I was lucky enough to be placed in a corner room with two queen beds. The room was more spacious than most typical hotel rooms and included a reading area with a recliner and reading lamp, as well as a desk. The bathroom was on the small side but functional.

The hotel, as it is fairly old, is full of charm. It is clean and well kept. Be sure to check out the hall of mirrors. Word is the food at the restaurant is excellent (though pricey, even by hotel standards), but I didn't have an opporunity to try it. All the staff that I interacted with were pleasant and helpful. There are a significant number of quality restaurants in the area within walking distance, both chain and local. An excellent location for anyone attending a conference, ball game, or anything else in the lower downtown area.

Be sure to go to the top of the adjacent Carew Tower (49th floor). It's well worth the $2 fee to get an unobstructed 360 degree view of the city.

Room Tip: Request a corner room, if possible. Rooms at higher levels offer great views!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
NetherlandPlaza, General Manager at Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
March 25, 2013

MacaroniDuck

Dear MacaroniDuck:

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel to TripAdvisor. We appreciate the opportunity that this provides us to respond directly to you.

Let me begin by thanking you for choosing our hotel for your stay in Cincinnati with the American Counseling Association.

Thank you too for your excellent comments about the general condition and ambiance of our hotel. I’ll be sure to share these comments with the appropriate members of our team.

We are also delighted that you found the available restaurants in the area to your liking. And just for the record, Orchids at Palm Court is fabulous – but don’t take our word! It’s Cincinnati Magazine’s number one restaurant for the past five years running!

971 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Nothing bad about this place, large lobby with bar, nice large clean rooms, good location downtown if you have any business to conduct in the area. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again especially given the reasonable rates. I'm sure during the week this place is packed with other business travelers so I wouldn't be worried about getting a good night's sleep.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
March 25, 2013

WDave37

Dear WDave37:

Let me begin by thanking you for choosing our hotel for your stay in Cincinnati. As a Business Traveler your comments are especially important.

We will be sure to share your comments regarding the cleaning of the hotel and the quality of our public spaces. We are pleased too that you found our rates to be “reasonable.” Please call on me if I can be of assistance to you in the future.

Maryville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We came up to Cincinnati to work a show with 2 other couples. We've stayed here before so that's why we booked again this year. Upon arrival the valet ignored us and we had to track down an attendant to give him our keys. No offer to help with luggage or unload. We we up to the lobby and told the desk manager about the valet and he apologized. That's all we needed. We were given a key and headed up to our room. I opened up the door and saw a double bed that took up most of the small room. This was not going to work all weekend, so I called down and spoke to the front desk manager again. He moved us to a queen sized room on another floor. We opened that door and it was the same small sized room, just had a queen sized bed wedged in it. I started to feel claustrophobic (this was a first) and we called back down to get a new room. Third time is a charm... This time we were placed in a corner room with plenty of room. It felt like a normal hotel room.

The belvedere club is almost a must here. Great breakfast and allows for wifi in the room.

When it was time to leave we called the valet and asked them to bring our car up. From the time we called it took over 45 minutes for them to bring our car up. My boyfriend is a sales rep and has a lot of work materials in the back of his car at all times. We we got into the car, all of his work stuff had been slung around in the back. My boyfriend drives hard normally and this has never happened before. I'm left to assume the valet took a joy ride from the parking deck like he was a NASCAR driver.

I called the hotel and complained about the valet (my only real complaint during my entire stay). The general manager called back later that week and was great. He apologized for the valet and explained they are contracted with the hotel and are not part of the hotel, but he had spoken with their managers.

Service from the hotel staff is great. Just be careful on which room you select and beware of the valet.

Room Tip: Pick a corner room. They are the rooms that actually are real room sized.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
January 25, 2013

Dear Mr. T:

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me this afternoon. I appreciated the opportunity that this provided me to address your concerns.

Let me begin by thanking you for again choosing our hotel for your stay in Cincinnati. Please also extend my thanks to Ms. Tipton for taking the time to call me on your behalf.

Please again accept my apologies for the discourteous way in which you were greeted by our valet parking staff and the way in which the valets handled your automobile while it was in our possession. As I noted, after completing our call I spoke extensively with the management group of Central Parking Systems. You may be sure that we are working to insure that this sort of situation does not recur.

On a more positive note, I’m delighted to know that you found our staff at the hotel responsive and that you enjoyed a variety of the services we offer. Should your travel plans return you to Cincinnati, please contact my Assistant Julie Heink at Julie.Heink@Hilton.com and reference this letter. We’ll be sure that your next stay is an especially comfortable one.

Cc: Matthew Coffey, Assistant General Manager
Kyle McGonagle, Assistant Front Office Manager
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Very contemporary, very artful, great decor, wonderful stay, great staff, i like this place a lot. I remember traveling here with a few business people, I couldn't have asked for a better stay. Thank you all and i will see you again soon .

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I am totally in awe of these positive reviews. The Netherland was the back burner plan for my birthday weekend, but all of the hotels in Newport were booked. I used Expedia to get the 'unnamed hotel' rate, and thought I was getting a good deal....HA! We have never been to downtown Cinci, so without obvious signs on where valet was, we ended up having to park in a garage across the street and lug our luggage and pillows through a VERY gross skywalk. When I asked the front desk at check-in why the valet didn't come out to our car, his response was, 'Yeah....our valet is....' Very bad first impression, and my arms were killing me. I'm sure this hotel used to be beautiful, the Art Deco style is so grungy and dirty, I couldn't help but be stunned by the fact that Hilton would not spend money to clean and polish their beautiful decorations. Here is where it gets bad. There was a tray of food in the hallway (right by OUR door) that remained there the FULL 24 hours we were at the hotel. Gross. When I opened the door to the room, I couldn't have been more surprised. I paid what, for WHAT? This room was literally the size of two cadillac escalades. The bed (in a 1 bedroom room) was a DOUBLE! The furniture was old, gross, and the draperies were atleast 20 years old. The furniture looked like it had been picked up at an old warehouse auction. We are talking Days Inn quality here, people, maybe worse. You could probably deal with the small size of the room, if everything else within it wasn't so poorly kept. As I laid in bed, I could see the peeling wallpaper, water spots in the walls, and the corners of the carpet that were dirty. The next surprise was the size of the bathroom. Or shall we call it the powder room? This thing was barely large enough for the 1 pedestal sink, smaller sized toilet and half sized bathtub/shower. SHEESH! And don't forget that the walls are paper thing, we could hear our neighbor showering, getting ready to head out (HIS CONVERSATIONS!), and the continual moving of people and discussions in the hallway. Positives? Um....location?
If you have the ability to try another hotel...I would. This was so disappointing. Who in the WORLD gave this hotel a 4 star rating???

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
NetherlandPlaza, General Manager at Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
March 21, 2013

Lana M

Dear Lana M:

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your March 16th stay with us on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the opportunity that this provides us to respond directly to you. As an Expedia customer, your comments are very important to us.

Please accept my apologies for the concerns that you have expressed with regards to your arrival and the hotel’s overall condition. I was very surprised to read your comments and disappointed that you felt this way. If you would like to contact me directly, you may do so at Michel.Sheer@Hilton.com. I would be happy to review them further and resolve the matter to your satisfaction.

fargo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

This great property has class and then some. The Art Deco everywhere and the Palm Court entry and bar set the tone. Some of the rooms are odd shaped and certain places in the property are aging a bit, but it is an overall great stay in the downtown area.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
NetherlandPlaza, General Manager at Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
March 19, 2013

Dan C

Dear Dan C:

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your recent stay at the Netherland Plaza on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the opportunity that this provides us to respond directly to you.

Let me begin by thanking you for choosing our hotel for your stays in Cincinnati. As a returning guest, your comments are especially important to us.

Thank you too for your kind comments about the hotel’s Art Deco décor and the Palm Court Bar area. We are delighted to know that you enjoy these aspects of the hotel.

Thank you again! We look forward to welcoming you back!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful Art Deco bar & restaurant. Excellent pasta and salad bar buffet lunch. Wonderful Bloody Mary at the bar. Stayed in a very comfortable suite. I haven't stayed in this hotel for nearly 5 years, not much has changed - but why should it? If it ain't broke! Standards high and I stay I hotels regularly and this is one I will return to again.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza? Share your experiences!