“Cincy Landmark” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza

You added Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza to your Saves list
Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   35 West Fifth Street, Cincinnati, OH 45202 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Orchids at Palm Court Pkg
Ranked #6 of 49 Hotels in Cincinnati
Boston, Massachusetts
“Cincy Landmark”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This Hilton provides potential guests with a classic trade-off. The guest floors and rooms need a major overhaul, but the common areas, amenities and location are top-notch.

The good news first….centrally located in the main business district, and connected via Skywalk to the nearby mall/restaurants; even better the hotel itself has a plethora of stores and restaurants in its own shopping arcade. Everything from a high-end men’s store to an old fashioned “luncheonette” complete with a Grandma like waitress with a traditional diner style beehive hairdo. The hotel staff, in true Midwestern fashion is very nice and aim to please with no attitude.

Hotel guests are permitted (no charge) to use the large fitness club located in the hotel’s mall. This gym is actually a 3rd-party run facility that locals pay to become members. Still it is several notches below a NYC/Boston Sports Club if you known those type of clubs. But still much nicer than a typical “hotel” gym. I believe they even have a pool, steam and sauna.

The amazing bar in the center of the hotel features their legendary lunchtime pasta bar, which I didn’t indulge in, but plenty of others did, as a long line formed before 12Noon. Allison the bartender knows all the local “gossip” for restaurant recommendations, etc.

Now for the bad part, the guests floors look every bit like the relic that the building itself is. My queen size bed room felt like a phone booth, I could barely take a shower and the room was decorated like it is still 1975, with wallpaper and a hard to use HVAC system. My bathroom door even featured an unusual looking “prison slot” at the bottom.

When attempting to do some paperwork, make sure you bring your own pen, as this hotel didn’t think to provide one for their guests. Speaking of work, the Computer Center's 2 computers appear 10 years old each. If you need to print something, bring a flashlight, as it appeared that when the printer was being used, the lights would flicker.

Hopefully, the recent news that the nearby Hyatt is going to spend $20M to renovate their hotel will motivate this Hilton to upgrade their guest floors and rooms, as again the common areas, etc. are mainly A quality.

So if you’re the type of traveler that doesn’t spend much time in the room, definitely stay here. If you’re the opposite, then perhaps I would look elsewhere until necessary upgrades are completed (hopefully).

SWANTON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This Art Deco hotel from the late 1920's offers VERY spacious rooms, multiple dining experiences and connected shopping all under the same roof. Was here for a conference (connected to Duke Energy Center via a stroll around high-end shopping). Rooms come complete with comfortable beds, LARGE flat screen TVs and mini-fridge.

Room Tip: Self parking available directly across the street and also connected by interior walkway.
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed at the Hilton for three nights and what a treat! Built in 1931 this hotel has been lovingly maintained and its a treat to explore - especially the spectacular bar.
I was in Cincinnati on business and was assigned a corner room suite with wonderful tall windows. The carpet and curtains were a little tired and the decor was old fashioned but it was HUGE. There were two king-sized beds, a desk, sofa and TV and a lot of curiously unused extra space including an enormous walk-in closet. The bathroom was small and the water in the shower never really got hot enough for a bath but was fine for a shower.
The hotel was very quiet, the front desk staff were very nice and every room gets a US Today newspaper. I don't know if it was because I was in a suite but I got a free continental breakfast on the 16th floor everymorning, which a very comfortable place to relax before a busy day. Great views too!

Grandville, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

This is centrally located in downtown Cincinnati. They have an executive lounge and the staff in the lounge are wonderful! Some of the rooms are tiny because the hotel is many years old, but if you are there for business, you won't be in the room that much. Or if you are concerned about space, book an upgraded room. Definitely stay at this hotel! The historic architecture in this hotel is phenomenal!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I just completed a 450 person meeting at this hotel and was delighted with the service and property. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly and pitched in as human directionals in between breakout sessions, directing people to the right room. From the doorman to the banquet staff to the conference service manager and sales executive, this hotel has top notch staff that helped take the stress out of planning a large conference. The property itself is beautiful. It's a historic hotel and very unique. Our attendees LOVED the Hall of Mirrors and it was a fabulous setting for receptions and lunches. Food was excellent and the rooms clean. The only negative is that 3 of the breakout rooms have large pillars, so sightlines can be a challenge. That being said, the hotel worked with us to make sure the room was set to the maximum with good sightlines. I would definitely recommend this hotel to meeting planners.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

This location is prime in downtown Cincinnati. Park across the street at Town Parking for 15 per day and use the Skybridge to go to the hotel. Room was clean except for a dirty towel on the floor when I arrived. Room service was okay except for my breakfast never arriving when I had ordered it almost 2 hours before I decided to cancel the order. Otherwise, I give this hotel a 4 overall. I could stay here again if need be.

• Stayed November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars
NetherlandPlaza, General Manager at Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
November 12, 2012

C560bra1

Dear C560bra1:

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your stay at the Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the opportunity that this provides us to respond directly to you.

Let me begin by thanking you for choosing our hotel for your stay in Cincinnati. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay!

Thank you too for sharing your discovery of a towel in the guestroom and the service lapse that you described with our Room Service Department. If you would like to review the matter further with me, I would be very happy to hear from you. You may reach me at Michel.Sheer@Hitlon.com to do so. I apologize that this occurred and marred an otherwise successful visit!

Many thanks again and please call on me whenever your travel plans return you to Cincinnati.

Michel A. Sheer
Managing Director
Houston, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Where do I begin? I guess I'll start with room #1. The first room assigned to me was very, very small. Here's the deal - my reservation had me staying there for FIVE days. Hint to the hotel - don't give a doll-house sized room to someone staying for five days. I may have been able to endure it for one night. But five days? Are you serious? Think strategically about how you assign your rooms. Perhaps you can't help what size the rooms are. But you can think through who you might give a Tom Thumb room to.

I could barely breath in the tiny room, so I called down immediately and asked for another room. I was initially excited about room #2. It was larger and I thought it would work. Until I went to the bathroom and saw ants crawling all over the base of the toilet. Fainted.

After I came to, I called down and asked for yet another room. I would not be staying for five days with ants. It was just totally disgusting.

Room #3 was okay. I mean, it is an older property, so I wasn't sure how much more to expect after this. I probably could have played room shuffle all day. This room still did not meet my standards for cleanliness, so I called housekeeping and let them know what needed attention in my room. When I returned to inspect their work, there was still random hair in the shower. Irritated, I just cleaned the hair off myself. The room just did not look great. Cracked paint. Dingy, stained towels.

I just should not be cleaning up hair that is not mine in a Hilton bathroom.

There were so many problems, I could go on and on, so I'll just highlight. The bathroom tub was a bit clogged, so water drained out very slowly. So I took a great shower EVERY DAY with water up past my ankles. Yay. I was sick of telling the hotel what was wrong with their rooms so I just dealt with it.

When I would call down to ask for things like extra towels, the person would consistently act like they were hurrying to get off the phone. In fact, once when I called, I asked for extra towels. The person said okay and almost hung up. I asked him if he wanted to know how many extra towels I wanted. Many that I talked to here truly acted like I was getting on their nerves.

The hotel's fitness center was actually a gym open to the public and it closed at 9 pm everyday. Seriously? Many business travelers may need to work out later than that. But it wasn't too sad. Because that gym was one of the most beat down gyms I have ever seen. It is seriously in need of an overhaul. The good news was that I burned extra calories trying to hurry up and get out of that dusty place.

At one point when I was finally checking out, I was asking the concierge a question and letting him know that I was trying to figure out how to get my big bag and myself to a place where I could find a taxi. He gave me instructions and watched me fumble around with my bag and never offered to help. You can't be serious. It was raining outside and I had to walk through puddles and rain to get to the place where I could find a taxi. When I spoke to the concierge, there were multiple staff members there and none of them offered to help me. It was not easy to get where I had to go (which was still in the hotel) and I couldn't believe they did not offer to help.

I will NEVER, EVER, EVER stay here again if I can help it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Malie
NetherlandPlaza, General Manager at Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
November 6, 2012

Malie

Dear Malie:

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of your stay on Trip Advisor. I appreciate the opportunity that this provides us to respond directly to you.

Let me begin by extending my apologies for the series of concerns and disappointments that you have written about. I'm presently traveling on vacation but would be happy to speak with you personally in this matter when I return on Monday, November 12th. If you would like to provide me with a means to do so, please e-mail me at Michel.Sheer@Hilton.com or call and leave a message for me at 513 564-6401. I'll happy to review the matter with you then and resolve this to your satisfaction.

Thank you very much.