“Nightmare on Fifth Street” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza

You added Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza to your Saves list
Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   35 West Fifth Street, Cincinnati, OH 45202 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Instant Getaway
Ranked #7 of 48 Hotels in Cincinnati
Houston, TX
“Nightmare on Fifth Street”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Where do I begin? I guess I'll start with room #1. The first room assigned to me was very, very small. Here's the deal - my reservation had me staying there for FIVE days. Hint to the hotel - don't give a doll-house sized room to someone staying for five days. I may have been able to endure it for one night. But five days? Are you serious? Think strategically about how you assign your rooms. Perhaps you can't help what size the rooms are. But you can think through who you might give a Tom Thumb room to.

I could barely breath in the tiny room, so I called down immediately and asked for another room. I was initially excited about room #2. It was larger and I thought it would work. Until I went to the bathroom and saw ants crawling all over the base of the toilet. Fainted.

After I came to, I called down and asked for yet another room. I would not be staying for five days with ants. It was just totally disgusting.

Room #3 was okay. I mean, it is an older property, so I wasn't sure how much more to expect after this. I probably could have played room shuffle all day. This room still did not meet my standards for cleanliness, so I called housekeeping and let them know what needed attention in my room. When I returned to inspect their work, there was still random hair in the shower. Irritated, I just cleaned the hair off myself. The room just did not look great. Cracked paint. Dingy, stained towels.

I just should not be cleaning up hair that is not mine in a Hilton bathroom.

There were so many problems, I could go on and on, so I'll just highlight. The bathroom tub was a bit clogged, so water drained out very slowly. So I took a great shower EVERY DAY with water up past my ankles. Yay. I was sick of telling the hotel what was wrong with their rooms so I just dealt with it.

When I would call down to ask for things like extra towels, the person would consistently act like they were hurrying to get off the phone. In fact, once when I called, I asked for extra towels. The person said okay and almost hung up. I asked him if he wanted to know how many extra towels I wanted. Many that I talked to here truly acted like I was getting on their nerves.

The hotel's fitness center was actually a gym open to the public and it closed at 9 pm everyday. Seriously? Many business travelers may need to work out later than that. But it wasn't too sad. Because that gym was one of the most beat down gyms I have ever seen. It is seriously in need of an overhaul. The good news was that I burned extra calories trying to hurry up and get out of that dusty place.

At one point when I was finally checking out, I was asking the concierge a question and letting him know that I was trying to figure out how to get my big bag and myself to a place where I could find a taxi. He gave me instructions and watched me fumble around with my bag and never offered to help. You can't be serious. It was raining outside and I had to walk through puddles and rain to get to the place where I could find a taxi. When I spoke to the concierge, there were multiple staff members there and none of them offered to help me. It was not easy to get where I had to go (which was still in the hotel) and I couldn't believe they did not offer to help.

I will NEVER, EVER, EVER stay here again if I can help it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
NetherlandPlaza, General Manager at Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
November 6, 2012

Malie

Dear Malie:

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of your stay on Trip Advisor. I appreciate the opportunity that this provides us to respond directly to you.

Let me begin by extending my apologies for the series of concerns and disappointments that you have written about. I'm presently traveling on vacation but would be happy to speak with you personally in this matter when I return on Monday, November 12th. If you would like to provide me with a means to do so, please e-mail me at Michel.Sheer@Hilton.com or call and leave a message for me at 513 564-6401. I'll happy to review the matter with you then and resolve this to your satisfaction.

Thank you very much.

Michel A. Sheer
Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I didn't spend the night in this fabulous Art Deco building. But I did have a "fine dining" experience. It was nice to be pampered. When sitting, the waiter removed the white napkins from two of our place settings and replaced them with black ones. Because I had never experienced fine dining before I wasn't quite sure what that indicated. I found out later that two of us had on black pants and the switching of the napkins was to prevent while lint getting on our black pants. We each had a "white gloved" server and the "dance" (as I call it) that they did was phenomenal. We were each served at the precise moment in time. Spectacular! The food was superb and we were each given a "compliments of the chef" dish before dinner. I can't recommend the rooms because I didn't stay there but I can recommend Orchids at Palm Court in the Netherland Hotel. You have to witness it to love it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Athens TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

A huge room, comfy bed, great buffet breakfast and located within walking distance of major attractions put this hotel on our list of hotels to revisit. The staff was very helpful and pleasant. We will come here again.

Room Tip: Get the breakfast plan.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

This is a very nice hotel with lovely decor and a brilliant bar/restaurant. My room on the 18th floor was very large and comfortable with a nice view of the river and neighboring Kentucky. Located in the heart of Cincy, the hotel has proxinity to many attractions. Be sure to visit the Cincy Art Museum while in town as it is quite a good one.

Dublin, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed for one night due to a friends wedding.
Anytime we stay away from home we stay in a high end hotel.
Our room looked nothing like the picture on the website and was way overpriced for what it was.
Our Cadillac came back from the valet with a scratch down the fender.
After several phone calls we were only compensated $24.00 for our parking.
We were asking to be partially refunded for the room. The manager refused to work with us.
After all, who likes hearing your neighbors urine hit toilet water at 2am?
Very disappointing for several reasons......
The next time we stay in Cincinnati it wont be at the Hilton Netherland.

Room Tip: Don't upgrade to a nicer room because you don't get anything extra for your buck
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
NetherlandPlaza, General Manager at Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
November 2, 2012

Dear Suunnykid:

Thank you for taking the time to write to us on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay. I appreciate the opportunity that this provides us to respond directly to you.

Let me begin by extending my apologies to you for the concerns you have raised. I am presently on vacation, but if you would kindly contact Matthew Coffey, our Assistant General Manager at Matthew.Coffey@Hilton.com or, write to me at Michel.Sheer@Hilton.com, we'll be happy to look into the matter.

Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you.

Michel A. Sheer
Managing Director
France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Created in 1931, sensitively restored in the 1980s, this national historic landmark is, without exception, the best hotel I have stayed in for many years. Exquisite surroundings that rejoice the heart; vast rooms with pleasant desks to work at; the best beds of any hotel I’ve known, for once with pillows to match (they don’t push back!); restaurant staff who accommodated a group of 20 with remarkable courtesy and efficiency; discreetly superb cuisine; a pleasure from beginning to end. Only suggestion to make: more space for lunch to avoid lineups (perhaps a second, simpler, bistro-pub restaurant).

Room Tip: Ask for a large room -- there are smaller ones. Higher floors have better view.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

My mother and I thoroughly enjoyed our 2 night stay at this hotel. We’re the type that enjoys historical architecture, so we enjoyed touring the Art Deco building. Be sure to pick up a brochure for your self-guided tour, which includes interesting tidbits such as it was built in about one year (1930-1931) and once contained a fully automated parking garage.

The Belevedere Club on the sixteenth floor, a Hilton Honors perk, made our visit much more comfortable. There is a computer room, as well as complimentary wifi access, continental breakfast, and evening snacks. Alcoholic beverages are available for sale. Step out onto the terrace for some great views.

Each person on the staff we interacted with was very friendly and professional. We were upgraded to a spacious junior suite, probably since the hotel was sold out due to a sixteenth century academic conference. The layout was a bit old-fashioned, but comfortable. The only issue with the room was that the water run-off in the bedroom bathroom tub was a little slow. On the first night I was standing calf-deep in blue tinged water at the end of my shower. This was less severe in the living room bathroom, and might be due to a mismatch between the powerful shower head and drain capacity.

Wifi is available in the rooms through the standard Hilton/AT&T service for a daily fee, and it is free in the lobby. There was also some wiring work going on; we received a notice under the door each evening asking us if we would like to be moved, but we stayed without any problems. We just had to remove our personal toiletries from the bathroom.

The Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza is a very centrally located hotel with character. I would love to stay here again if I need to travel to Cincinnati.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza? Share your experiences!